IGNORED

Wanna do a long distance rally?

Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy

Is it a ride tale or trip planning if it's reported as it goes down?

After following a few riders along virtually during the 2007 IBR, I've made some changes to my blog so that anyone interested can follow along as I participate in The Void 3 and the ride unfolds. Specifically, in addition to the normal text posts that I had been trying to do nightly on the blog, for this event I'll be able to leave voice notes from the bike along the route, along with the occassional video post to the blog (probably from the start and end hotels).

I'll still post a detailed rally report with pictures after the event, for anyone who's interested. I plan to take digital pictures in addition to the Polaroid pictures that I need to submit for scoring.

You can find my blog at http://www.rocketcowboy.net/blog/, or if you're really wanting an up to the minute update ... I'll have my bike's cell number listed in my signature when I head out for the rally. The event is this weekend; I head out Thursday to the starting point in Owensboro KY, with the event starting from there at noon Friday, and running until mid-day Saturday when we wrap up in Lynchburg VA.

I'm starting in Dothan, so I'll see you in Lynchburg...or maybe in Kentucky, or Tennessee or...

Look for the Black 1998 R1100RS with the dazed rider on it.

Good Luck

Sounds like fun!!!

I would love to try it someday.

Aux Fuel

#4. No more than 11.5 gallons of fuel.

How tough are they on things like that???? My tanks say they can hold 11.6. (44 liters)

I'll be following.

Whip

Sorry you got off schedule so much. I have to ask is it just harder to make miles in the east than the west, it seems it might be.

Looking toward next year, how do you compare riding a rally in the east to the west? My plans all fell apart this year for a lot of reasons but I will make a couple of rallies at least next year.

Rocket_Cowboy

I haven't gone in-depth with the GPS track log yet (just got home late last night, then got slammed at work), but based on the differences between my overall avg and moving avg, I'm fairly certain that my problem was stop duration. I needed to average 51mph overall and 57mph moving to make the route work, I ended up with 46mph and 67 respectively. I could make the time when I had the wheels turning, I just didn't have them turning long enough.

I'll post up a detailed rally report here in the next couple of days, but pretty much I know where I lost the time and on what stops. I had delays getting out of Owensboro, and rush hour in Cinncinati, but outside of that it was changes I made to my system that just didn't work out, resulting in longer stops or more time spent hunting for a few bonus stops. As frustration started to build, so did the stupid mistakes.

Regarding East vs West ... it really depends. I think you need to know the Eastern area better in order to know when the sucker bonus is dropped, but I find my time out west to be equally moderated due to open range areas. To be fair though, I haven't completed a western rally yet ... only a few IBA certified rides, so don't have hard data from my performances in both regions to say for certain.

Aux Fuel

How tough are they on things like that???? My tanks say they can hold 11.6. (44 liters)

All depends on the rallymasters and tech inspector. Some are tough and quite strict. The larger rallies, don't expect any fudging or budging. It is better to meet the specs rather than be turned away after all the preparation you have put in to get there. The rules are there to keep the playing field level.

Rocket_Cowboy
Aux Fuel

All depends on the rallymasters and tech inspector. Some are tough and quite strict. The larger rallies, don't expect any fudging or budging. It is better to meet the specs rather than be turned away after all the preparation you have put in to get there. The rules are there to keep the playing field level.

Agreed.

The 11.5 gallon limit is standard for a 2 wheeled vehicle (trikes are allowed more), and is spelled out in the IBA and Team Strange rules. Most rallies seem to use the Team Strange rules.

Two of the rallies I participated in this year (the Cape Fear 1000 and the Void), had the rider perform a "self-inspection". Since riders were allowed to start from multiple locations, there wasn't a pre-ride tech inspection or odometer check like other events use. In these events, you sign a form taking responsibility for your tech inspection and compliance with the rules.

Exceptions have been known to happen ... I think someone's total fuel capacity during this year's IBR was 11.51 or 11.6 gallons, and they had to get special dispensation to run that. Rob Nye's R1200RT-P was also heavily scrutinized when the math seemed to indicate that he could be carrying over 11.5 gallons as well. Rob's setup was compliant.

My setup is just under 11.5 gallons as well. Since I went with a common manufacturer, I shouldn't have any problem passing tech. If your KTM is factory equiped with 11.6, I would check with the rally organizers first ... but would suspect that they not have a problem with it as long as a fuel log is kept.

Archived