IGNORED

Thinking of changing to a cruiser?

boatzo

I have been thinking of changing from my RT to a cruiser R1200C. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet, but will soon. In the mean time I looked on Cycle trader and saw a multitude of R1200Cs for sale all over the place and many with very low mileage.

A light comes on! Why are so many for sale??

Any and all comments, suggestions, advice from the group will be greatly appreciated. confused.gif

^^^^^^

What he said plus very little carrying capacity and a bit less handling capability, nowhere hear the same weather protection.

And 30 fewer horses...

My first BMW was a R1200CLC; looked nice, but I wanted a REAL BMW instead.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
and saw a multitude of R1200Cs for sale all over the place and many with very low mileage.

A light comes on! Why are so many for sale??

Yep! Probably all of the reasons stated above.

For me, it would make a good third bike.

Rich

My first BMW was a 2000 1200C. What I got was a real cruiser. It wasn't suited for touring (too much wind buffeting and not enough storage), and it didn't handle well in the canyons (reduced horsepower and more rake). Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a GREAT bike. But then I bought a new R1200RT and everything got better.

Just think how it would have been if they had seen fit to give it the engine from the GS or the RT. Mucho Better I think. Sad that they only made a half hearted, doomed to fail effort. I liked the bike, but it just didn't have enuf poop for me. I thought the first version of it was kind of homely, but the later versions were rather good looking I thought. Too bad. Also, contrary to what others have said, I thought it WAS a real BMW, in fact if you look at it in profile, I felt it had a lot in common with the Beemers of yesteryear. Just needed more power.

I had one - its a big step down in everything except the "cool" factor. As others have said, much lower high rpm power (although lots of low end torque), poor handling, rough ride (its a monolever and you can feel the difference), limited bag capacity, limited weather protection (even with the windshield it stinks), and a small gas tank. Bottom line is if you like all the goodies on the RT, you will be disappointed with the cruser. It is not a bike for any serious touring.

russell_bynum

Bottom line is if you like all the goodies on the RT, you will be disappointed with the cruser. It is not a bike for any serious touring.

If the intent is to use an R1200C for long distance, high-speed touring, I'd agree. That's not what it was designed for.

If you're using it as a cruiser...relatively short day rides and maybe the occasional long weekend touring at a more moderate speed, I don't see why it wouldn't be a fine choice.

The R1200C isn't what I would pick if I were looking for a cruiser, but that's just my personal aesthetic preference.

I am not a real serious tourer, that is kind of why I wanted to make a change. However, I really do appreciate all the input, it helps a lot.

Me being old, fat and ugly, I need something that is comfortable above all. The RT isn't quite there yet even with the new Rick Mayer seat, but I love the power, storage, and especially the electric wind screen since I installed the V Stream.

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks,

Incredibly ugly?
Thanks Killer, I really needed that. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. wave.gif
Yes indeed, I don't like the way they look and I think that's one reason so many are available, But that's my problem not yours grin.gif

Adding to the 'suggest don't' list - It is ham-stung by the single throttle body inside the air box arrangement (done for style) which makes tune ups much more difficult and the engine more vibration prone.

But if you go over to the chromeheads site, I'm sure you will get lots of accolades for the bike!

russell_bynum
Adding to the 'suggest don't' list - It is ham-stung by the single throttle body inside the air box arrangement (done for style) which makes tune ups much more difficult and the engine more vibration prone.

How does a single throttle body make tune ups more difficult? I always figured the single throttle body means you no longer have any need to do a TB sync, so one of the more time-consuming bits of oilhead maintenance goes away. What am I missing?

Also, how does it make the motor more vibration-prone?

Joe Frickin' Friday

How does a single throttle body make tune ups more difficult? I always figured the single throttle body means you no longer have any need to do a TB sync, so one of the more time-consuming bits of oilhead maintenance goes away. What am I missing?

Best guess: you have to nail the valve lash adjustment dead-on (i.e. match left and right sides), because you won't be able to compensate/correct by adjusting independent throttle bodies.

russell_bynum

Best guess: you have to nail the valve lash adjustment dead-on (i.e. match left and right sides), because you won't be able to compensate/correct by adjusting independent throttle bodies.

Ah, OK.

From my experience with my RT, valve adjustment is more important than the sync anyway (to a degree, of course), so I wonder how big of a deal having only one TB to tweak really is anyway?

Joe Frickin' Friday
From my experience with my RT, valve adjustment is more important than the sync anyway (to a degree, of course), so I wonder how big of a deal having only one TB to tweak really is anyway?

With only one TB, there's nothing to tweak: when doing a TBS on your RT, you're tweaking one TB relative to the other (unless you're doing the non-routine 0=0 TPS adjustment). I would guess the challenge is to eliminate airflow imbalance only by adjusting the valve clearances, since that's the only adjustment you can make. And if you leave it up to the dealer (who gets paid book rate for the job), it's likely they won't take the extra time to fuss with it and get it "perfect."

russell_bynum

With only one TB, there's nothing to tweak: when doing a TBS on your RT, you're tweaking one TB relative to the other (unless you're doing the non-routine 0=0 TPS adjustment). I would guess the challenge is to eliminate airflow imbalance only by adjusting the valve clearances, since that's the only adjustment you can make. And if you leave it up to the dealer (who gets paid book rate for the job), it's likely they won't take the extra time to fuss with it and get it "perfect."

Right...I gotcha.

^^^^^^

What he said plus very little carrying capacity and a bit less handling capability, nowhere hear the same weather protection.

And 30 fewer horses...

My first BMW was a R1200CLC; looked nice, but I wanted a REAL BMW instead.

ditto.

Francois_Dumas

Me being old, fat and ugly, I need something that is comfortable above all. The RT isn't quite there yet even with the new Rick Mayer seat, .......

That part really surprised me...... errrmm, no, not the first sentence lmao.gif The second one.... if the RT isn't comfy I wonder what IS (except for an LT, a 'Wing' or a couch with a plasma screen at 9 feet from it).... cool.gifconfused.gif

Me being old, fat and ugly, I need something that is comfortable above all. The RT isn't quite there yet even with the new Rick Mayer seat, .......

That part really surprised me...... errrmm, no, not the first sentence lmao.gif The second one.... if the RT isn't comfy I wonder what IS (except for an LT, a 'Wing' or a couch with a plasma screen at 9 feet from it).... cool.gifconfused.gif

Its' just me Francois, always wanting something different and not able to be like Jay Leno and have a different bike for every occasion.

I am not ready for the plasma TV yet, didn't like the LT (too big), never been on a Wing, but same thing.

A guy pulled up beside me last weekend on a HD FAT BOY and he was fatter than I. Made me want to go on a diet pronto, I am not ready for that either.

Seriously though, thanks again for all the input. I need the objectivity and probably wouldn't get that from the chrome head site.

[The second one.... if the RT isn't comfy I wonder what IS
I thought Whip's Harley was more comfortable than my RT. It had other faults but comfort wasn't one of them.
Incredibly ugly?

Exactly. Almost baroque. Years ago, when I say my forst one, I thought "This must be a practical joke on Harley!"

And some peoples taste is all in their mouth. lmao.gif

I bought the CLC for its looks, not in spite of them.

A good friend of mine put RT throttle bodies and GS cams in his C, made quite a difference getting away from the stock air box.

if the RT isn't comfy I wonder what IS

I sold my RT because I just could not get it to 'fit' right...the GS is a lot more comfortable for me.

YMMV!

You want comfort then look at Harley.

I traded my RT for a Road Glide. Lost the handling but more than made up for it in comfort. No regrets after 10k miles and three trips.

A guy pulled up beside me last weekend on a HD FAT BOY and he was fatter than I. Made me want to go on a diet pronto, I am not ready for that either.

Not to rude, and I am not one to throw stones in a glass houses - but, how fat are you?

Not a lot of stretch out room on Bmw's cruiser. Friend of mind has one, but is bigger than me. The bike looked a little small compared to him - and he looked cramped. Of course I was on a Honda Valk, which on a week-long trip made my CAR feel small and cramped lmao.gif

We went on a trip to NC [i was on my old Honda Valk Tourer] and he was the most tired of the group [others were on HDs].

Best thing about them is that they don't look like a HD and have a crusie range of almost 200 miles [guess] - Valk went 100ish before needing to turning to the reserve tank eek.gif

Might want to pm Jacqueline about why she is selling hers [her F650GS is a better fit] Linky on bike she is selling.

Sit on one and see how comfortable you'd be and how you like the looks in person. If so, take one for a test ride.

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

Not to rude, and I am not one to throw stones in a glass houses - but, how fat are you?

Not a lot of stretch out room on Bmw's cruiser. Friend of mind has one, but is bigger than me. The bike looked a little small compared to him - and he looked cramped. Of course I was on a Honda Valk, which on a week-long trip made my CAR feel small and cramped lmao.gif

We went on a trip to NC [i was on my old Honda Valk Tourer] and he was the most tired of the group [others were on HDs].

Best thing about them is that they don't look like a HD and have a crusie range of almost 200 miles [guess] - Valk went 100ish before needing to turning to the reserve tank eek.gif

Might want to pm Jacqueline about why she is selling hers [her F650GS is a better fit] Linky on bike she is selling.

Sit on one and see how comfortable you'd be and how you like the looks in person. If so, take one for a test ride.

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

I am kind of in the same boat, can't get it to fit well, but I love the RT. Had a Harley Electro Glide many years ago and it was the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. Of course there were other issues and the saddle bags were filled with spare parts and tools. Nuf said on that.

I am 5'8" tall and 260lbs. A bit short in the inseam. I have a low seat and have built up my boot soles. The foot pegs are now too high, have to bend my legs sharply. Haven't gone to the foot peg lowering thing yet.

I have looked closely at the Cs and CLCs and have sat on them, but have not ridden them. The point Russell makes is probably closest to my situation. I am not a long range tourer, at least not at this time. The wife will not get on the bike so I am solo all the time.

Thanks to all for all the input, it has been very informative. Will let you all know what happens going forward. wave.gif

A lot of good reasons above...I just decided to get rid of mine last week...Being short and fat and old, I finally did get my RT comfortable, bought the 1200C for my wife to ride.(She has since decided she wants to keep her Trike.) So...

I had a decision to make re: RT vs 1200C. While I enjoyed riding the 'C' for <200 mile trips, anything longer than that promoted increased fatigue..

It is a fun bike to ride for shorter distances, but I got bitten by the longer distance bug, so if it has to be one, it won't be the C...

If you are into shorter rides, the C might be a good choice.

Like an earlier poster said, check out the chromeheads site...

Good Luck

Heck

I ride an 1150RT and my brother rides a 1200C.

Picture212.jpg

In July, the two us completed a nice long ride from Victoria BC to San Diego and back, running the coast highway on the way down and the Sierras and Cascades on the way back. I had a great opportunity to compare bikes on the trip

Picture241.jpg

To begin, I was definitely the desert camel on the trip, with the ability to carry twice the amount of gear he could. With my oversize lids and top-box I was able to carry hot and cold weather jackets, boots and spare shoes while he was stuck with the same clothing throughout the trip. My accessory shelf simplified the mounting of a Sirius radio and a GPS and I could mount a tank bag that was twice the size of his for my maps, MP3, and camera.

Picture209.jpg

My extra capacity also meant I could afford to carry a few extra tools, spare oil and a decent first-aid kit, all of which came in handy during a small roadside repair.

Picture224.jpg

Dave loves his bike, although he was nearly crippled by the seat until he picked up a new Mayer seat in Ojai CA during the trip. The riding position of the 1200C put a lot of pressure on his tailbone and by day-end he hobbling to the motel for relief when I was ready for another hundred miles. Dave replaced the stock ape-hangers for lower Euro-bars soon after he bought the bike, but even these caused him some discomfort after a long day, particularly at the wrists and elbows. I had no such complaints.

Although his bike had a bigger displacement I regularly left him behind when it came to passing or working up-hill. He was limited in his ability to corner in the twisties and typically left a shower of sparks from scraping pegs. I think the cruiser riding position limits the rider’s ability to lean inside for corners, whereas this movement is just natural on the RT.

Picture329.jpg

In foul weather Dave was miserable, while I sat comfortably behind my fairing and big windshield. However he did have an advantage in the heat of southern California, but then again, I was able to slip into my mesh gear for comfort while he was stuck with his BMW Rallye jacket. (You may ask why I didn’t carry extra gear for him…call it brotherly stubbornness or Cruiser-rider ego, either way he insisted he would carry his own stuff.)

Picture300.jpg

For some reason, Dave was paranoid about fuel consumption. When I was still showing a half-tank he would be making noises about stopping for fuel. I think this was probably because the only gas gauge he had was the low-fuel warning light, and when this came on the bike ran dry really quickly. We both had exactly the same capacity, so either the bike burns more than the RT or the lack of a gauge just makes him nervous.

Picture221.jpg

Finally, when I got home I rinsed off 5000 miles of grime with a sponge and a garden hose. Dave spent two days trying to make his chrome shiney again.

One thing I found really weird on the "C" was with the placement of the pegs I had a heck of a time getting my boot on the shifter for down shifts. I don't think I could have worn boots and ridden it safely, I'd have to wear my Ecco Treks, which wasn't gonna happen.

PS my feet aren't huge either, size 11 or 45.

If you're going to get a cruiser, the C is a good bike for doing that.

ABS, Telelever, are nice features.

Doesn't look like all the HDCloneheads.

I've always thought it was a good looking bike. dopeslap.gif

No real reason not to get one and see.

Thanks Sidmariner, that is a great comparison and great photos as well.

I think you all are steering me away from the Cs. Maybe I will try a "K". Now that ought to start a whole new slew of responses. I love the new K1200GT but can't afford one. Maybe the ole RT with 91K miles will have to keep on truckin?

russell_bynum
Thanks Sidmariner, that is a great comparison and great photos as well.

I think you all are steering me away from the Cs. Maybe I will try a "K". Now that ought to start a whole new slew of responses. I love the new K1200GT but can't afford one. Maybe the ole RT with 91K miles will have to keep on truckin?

IMO, if you aren't comfortable on the RT because of the riding position, I think all of the K-bikes except the LT will be worse in that regard.

It's a different kind of ride. The envelope is much smaller, and so the speed, cornering, etc, just isn't there. As a result, I think it's a much easier style of motorcycle to ride and as such a cruiser trip is more about the surroundings you're passing through and less about the road and how you and your bike are interacting with it.

You can easily tour on a cruiser, it just won't be sport touring. Still fun, just a different kind of fun.

plus you get a real BMW

Doesn't the "C" get a different rear suspension/final-drive setup? No paralever and hence no u-joint in the rear? Probably doesn't catch fire and stuff, so hence not "a real BMW" right? :P I thought the discussion over TB syncs and valve adjustments were enough to make it a "real" BMW...

Jokes aside...

For me the joy of running on a cruiser is to be on a big, relaxed relaxed bike with the motorcycle version of a Cummins diesel in it.

The R1200C was BMW trying to get a piece of the cruiser market. Offering something different and unique. All that it was. Having said that, it does nothing for me and still seems like a strange fusion of two things that don't go well together.

One factor that I don't think anybody mentioned is that the BMW cruisers are no longer in production. With luck, you'll be able to get parts and service for a long time to come, but I imagine a lot of people are just trading horses.

Mitch has it about right. To explain completely, the C has a single body, dual throat TB. There is what on the oilheads we call LBS adjustments. They are accessed with a long screw driver from the wheel well. So some adjustment of sync is possible, but nothing like we typically do by adjusting cables. Any side-to-side sync error, that can cause vibration, is difficult to get out. This is exasperated by the long distance from the TB to the heads on the C. The mixture is more prone to 'condense' (not sure what the right word is when a fuel mixture begins to separate back out) in the long intake runners.

A good friend of mine put RT throttle bodies and GS cams in his C, made quite a difference getting away from the stock air box.
Wow, that's a feat. Wonder how he handled, where did he put, the Bowden box and cabling? And the intake air ducts going to the (new) TBs? Did he fabricate new ones by hand? Other than cosmetics, one of the reasons for the hidden TB on the C was leg clearance to the forward pegs, was that an issue? How did he wire the, now separate fuel injectors? Seems like the forward trim panel on each side wouldn't be able to go on anymore either. How did he get around that?

Pictures of the conversion would be interesting to see.

Get a GS. It's like sitting on a cruiser except higher and more comfortable, plus you get a real BMW.

Real BMW OK, the most uncomfortable bike I have ever been on. OK if you are 6'4" tall. The first thing that has to go is the seat. tongue.gif

I could give some biased input.....

I had a 96 r1100r. Sold it this year and bought an 01 r12c. I always thought I wanted a BMW cruiser. Loved the looks of the bike. BUT!!!!

POOR wind protection.

POOR low speed handling (due to monolever rear and heavy front end.

TERRIBLE highway manners. Windscreen attached to front suspension acted like a sail in high winds. The skinny front tire dogtracked like mad on uneven pavement. Bike was blown around by trucks, etc....

Handling was not right for me. The bike could do it, but I felt it was not "approving" of aggresive handling. I was missing my r1100r!

Stock passenger torture pad (really the driver backrest) designed by Torquemada!!!

I just sold the r12c and bought an 04 r1150rt. It is PERFECT for what I want! All day comfort for rider and pillion, luggage capacity, handling, power, wind protection when I want it.

I could give some biased input.....

I had a 96 r1100r. Sold it this year and bought an 01 r12c. I always thought I wanted a BMW cruiser. Loved the looks of the bike. BUT!!!!

POOR wind protection.

POOR low speed handling (due to monolever rear and heavy front end.

TERRIBLE highway manners. Windscreen attached to front suspension acted like a sail in high winds. The skinny front tire dogtracked like mad on uneven pavement. Bike was blown around by trucks, etc....

Handling was not right for me. The bike could do it, but I felt it was not "approving" of aggresive handling. I was missing my r1100r!

Stock passenger torture pad (really the driver backrest) designed by Torquemada!!!

I just sold the r12c and bought an 04 r1150rt. It is PERFECT for what I want! All day comfort for rider and pillion, luggage capacity, handling, power, wind protection when I want it.

Come on! Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel. grin.gif

I have one and it's for sale..... and it's a BEAUTY bike.

I'm selling mine as I really have not ridden it much since I purchased my F650GS a year ago (and the GS now has 45k miles on it). Plus I will admit the bike really is to big for me... I'm 5 foot tall and not to much over 100 lbs. The bike sat in my garage a month before I could even upright it. I surprised a lot of people and have put 24k miles on it.

I had a R1200C before I bought my R1200RT.

I agree with all of the posters who have commented about the C. The most I could go was maybe 140 miles before the fuel warning light came on. The RT goes about 350 before that happens.

The C is great for riding around town in the summertime. I took it on touring trips in December and was very cold, due to the lack of wind protection.

Go to the Chromeheads site and you will get much more information than I could give you in a short paragraphs in this thread.

As for those who say the GS is a real BMW, it probably is if you are 6 ft 4 inches tall with a 37 inch inseam. Not for guys like me who are 5 ft 8 inches with a 29 inch inseam. I would have to lean a GS on the cylinder head at stoplights just so I could get a foot on the ground. The GS is not a bike for the height challenged person.

Archived