IGNORED

BMW Turbine

Jones

Ok, I know this is nothing special for most of you but it impresses the hell out of me.

This is my first BMW, a leap of mid-life crisis faith. I've ridden bikes as long as I can remember, and all of them loud, noisy, and, well, motorcycle sounding. I even paid good money for pipes on my Vulcan that just outright howl.

My point: This BMW is quiet as a mouse. Kinda freaky quiet. I guess it is the tranny that sounds just like a turbine spooling up. Freaked me out big on the first ride. The rider's position looked like some kind of fighter cockpit and then was the mega-cool turbine sound.

I guess I'm just easily impressed. Do you people with 8 million miles on your BMWs still hear that? I hope and pray that I NEVER get used to it.

I am not a wealthy man. This bike represents years of work for me. My leap of faith with the BMW brand was an honest hope to buy a bike that was FUN.

It is.

Do you still hear it?

My point: This BMW is quiet as a mouse. Kinda freaky quiet. I guess it is the tranny that sounds just like a turbine spooling up. Freaked me out big on the first ride. The rider's position looked like some kind of fighter cockpit and then was the mega-cool turbine sound.

That would be the final drive going west lmao.gif

Steve

That would be the final drive going west lmao.gif

Steve

That's just cruel! lmao.giflmao.gif

Don't you mean: "...final drive going pear shaped"?? eek.gif

To the OP:

Yes...I still get a kick every time I roll out of the driveway. cool.gif

Yes, I love the sound of the (stock exhaust) boxer. It's a pleasant change to be able to hear all of the bike's sounds. Egotistically speaking I think it is a much more sophisticated sound.

I think there's a lot of sounds to hear comming from beneith you. The Boxer thanks to the 180 degree layout and even timing, doesn't have the "heartbeat" of the uneven firing of a Harley or even a metric crusier. It's more about precision.

I've been trying to isolate some of them through careful listening. It's the first biek I've owned with a full windscreen and large fairing, so I've never really heard a bike before. Here's what I've found:

1) Idle and low RPM's, no load, there's a whirly sound from the valve train. Smilar to a Honda RC-51.

2) Under 3000RPM, with a load, there's a classic boxer twin exhaust sound, with a little valve chatter than almost sounds like knocking.

3) In 1st gear there always gear whine from the transmission. Not as much as a sportbike, since the BMW"s gear are helical, not straight cut.

4) Above 3000RPM, lots of throttle, the induction growl shows up along with the same sound from the exhaust. that Wahhhh.

5) High RPM's there a little bit of cam noise, but overal la lot of ruckus going on. PRecision sounding, but very angry.

6) Above 30mph... there's the ever present Michelin Pilot tire howl. Which resonates with the bodywork at different speeds.

I do have one not so good sound I think. Above 4000RPM, only when wide open throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear, I hear what sounds like pebbles, marbles or little bits of something flying around in the heads or crankcase. IT's kind of a tink, tink sound, and occurs in an irregular pattern, once every 2-3 seconds. I think it's the cam chain slapping around, or somthing vibrating unde the bodywork.

I'll have the dealer look at it on my next visit, along with he fuel gauge that needs ot be recalibrated.

Ok, I know this is nothing special for most of you but it impresses the hell out of me.

This is my first BMW, a leap of mid-life crisis faith. I've ridden bikes as long as I can remember, and all of them loud, noisy, and, well, motorcycle sounding. I even paid good money for pipes on my Vulcan that just outright howl.

I guess I'm just easily impressed. Do you people with 8 million miles on your BMWs still hear that? I hope and pray that I NEVER get used to it.

I am not a wealthy man. This bike represents years of work for me. My leap of faith with the BMW brand was an honest hope to buy a bike that was FUN.

It is.

Do you still hear it?

Yep, but usually about 6000RPM! thumbsup.gif I love the rush and sound when it hits that spot. It's way better with my visor up as well. Almost makes me want to go buy a half shell helmet just to feed my aural senses. eek.gif

I came at my RT a little differently. It's a hand me down from my wife. I was riding my Kawasaki MeanStreak and loved that bike and figured I would just always ride a cruiser. Well Jodie ended up buying a Ninja and we had the RT sitting in the garage. She said sell it, but I was changing tires on the meanstreak so rode it for a week. Now the RT is a bike that I had absolutely NO interest in even demo riding, and I'll demo anything with two wheels.

Well after a week, I started saying to myself, this isn't so bad. I went back and forth between the RT and the MeanStreak for a couple weeks, then I just quit riding the MeanStreak. Sold the MeanStreak this spring, but I was still "searching" , still looking at bikes: the Buell Ulysses, Triumph Tiger, I think cause I didn't choose the RT. It hadn't made my heart skip the first time I rode it etc.

Well I demo'd a Uly (for the second time), and a Tiger, but both times I was glad to hop back on the RT. Over this summer I have truly found joy on the RT and it's staying for awhile. I like it more every time I ride it! thumbsup.gif

You made a good choice and won't regret it. Many happy miles. smile.gif

Hi Tom, well sorry for my the funny remark, but your right about the RT, lovely smooth sound, I have had her for nearly 3 years and when like this morning I could have easily got in my car because it was very wet, I still got the gear on and rode grin.gif and woodie nothing went "pear shaped" grin.gif

Steve

I do have one not so good sound I think. Above 4000RPM, only when wide open throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear, I hear what sounds like pebbles, marbles or little bits of something flying around in the heads or crankcase. IT's kind of a tink, tink sound, and occurs in an irregular pattern, once every 2-3 seconds. I think it's the cam chain slapping around, or somthing vibrating unde the bodywork.

Could be predetonation, which ain't good. Are you using the prescribed fuel octane?

Could be predetonation, which ain't good. Are you using the prescribed fuel octane?

My thoughts exactly about such sounds at wide open throttle. Almost certainly cheap gas.

Is that what predetonation sounds like? Hmmm. I fill up with the highest octane offered and normally use Shell or BP when possible. Sometimes it's 92 or 93 octane, sometimes it's 91 with ethanol. Most recently I did put in 89 with ethanol, but again noticed no change in that sound.

Isn't the ECU supposed to correct for this anyway and allow you to run midgrade fuel? It lists 2 different power outputs for the engine depeding on which fuel you use.

IT defnitely only happens near wide open throttle and there's no unusual vibration or loss in power when I hear the noise.

My only other thought is that maybe the throttle bodies are zero'd correctly and the bike is running a little lean on just one cylinder causing predetonation there. I will note that my mileage is in the low to mid 40's, not bad but not great, and I do think I have more vibration taht I should above 4000 RPM.

Hmmm... well after this upcomming trip trip I'll be at 4000 miles... maybe it's time for an early 6000 mile service, to have everything checked out. I do question how thorough the dealer is on checking everything. Maybe the valve clearances were in spec, but not quite the same on both sides too.

Maybe I need a new thread, "why doesn't my bike sound normal?

Is that what predetonation sounds like? Hmmm. I fill up with the highest octane offered and normally use Shell or BP when possible. Sometimes it's 92 or 93 octane, sometimes it's 91 with ethanol. Most recently I did put in 89 with ethanol, but again noticed no change in that sound.

Isn't the ECU supposed to correct for this anyway and allow you to run midgrade fuel? It lists 2 different power outputs for the engine depeding on which fuel you use.

IT defnitely only happens near wide open throttle and there's no unusual vibration or loss in power when I hear the noise.

My only other thought is that maybe the throttle bodies are zero'd correctly and the bike is running a little lean on just one cylinder causing predetonation there. I will note that my mileage is in the low to mid 40's, not bad but not great, and I do think I have more vibration taht I should above 4000 RPM.

Hmmm... well after this upcomming trip trip I'll be at 4000 miles... maybe it's time for an early 6000 mile service, to have everything checked out. I do question how thorough the dealer is on checking everything. Maybe the valve clearances were in spec, but not quite the same on both sides too.

Maybe I need a new thread, "why doesn't my bike sound normal?

My bike always had a lot of vibration at 4000rpm even after the first 1000km service done at the dealer. As soon as I did my own service and sync'd my throttle bodies, the bike is very smooth at 4000rpm now. I'm sorry but I just don't think too many dealer mechanics are going to spend the time on valves and throttle bodies' that we are willing to do ourselves because they're our bikes and we're the ones riding them, so to us it's worth it. I love the feel of my bike now and 4000rpm is my cruising rpm so it's sure a treat to not have to use cruise just so my fingers don't fall asleep. thumbsup.gif

Do you still hear it?

2 1/2 years into ownership - yes. I also love the low rumble when decellerating under engine braking...and everything in between. To me, the bike has a subdued, muscular sound that says there's real power lurking under the gas tank.

This is the first bike I've owned where I haven't identified my "next bike." It isn't because I have not thought about it. BMW just really hit a sweet spot for me with the R12RT.

I am not a wealthy man. This bike represents years of work for me.

...and replacing the final drive will represent years more work for you. wink.gif

In all seriousness, enjoy the honeymoon...both with the bike, and the brand.

I guess it is the tranny that sounds just like a turbine spooling up.

On the third to the last page of our club's newsletter is an article by Ron Schmidt about the turbocharger he put on an 1150GS. I've seen it but I haven't heard it. Apparently it does sound like a jet taking off. Linky to newsletter

...and replacing the final drive will represent years more work for you. wink.gif

In all seriousness, enjoy the honeymoon...both with the bike, and the brand.

Ya, I've been waiting for a comment about the final drive since I started this thread.

I just have faith that I'll be one of the 96% that has no problem with the unit.

Ya know, I've had lots of stuff break on EVERY single truck, car, and bike I've ever owned. If nothing ever went wrong with this bike, that would be a first for me.

Ford, Chevy, and Mopar dealers all hosed me pretty good too.

In the meanwhile, I think I'll just ride it.

Archived