IGNORED

All the info on the HP2 Sport

Bill Neander

Still trying to figure out why the HP2 Sport would be an R bike and not the K bike if it's about being closer to a race bike as they try to make it out to be? Maybe the HP series is limited to R bikes.

russell_bynum
Still trying to figure out why the HP2 Sport would be an R bike and not the K bike if it's about being closer to a race bike as they try to make it out to be? Maybe the HP series is limited to R bikes.

Yeah. I guess my question is "what's it for?"

Is it just a hopped up S for people who want a boxer, but want better performance? Is it going to be homologated for racing (could this be their WSB bike...and if so, do the rules allow 1200cc air/oil cooled twins to compete in the Superbike Class?) Will it be raced in a "one-design" series like the Aprilia RS250 cup, Boxer Cup, etc?

I just have to wonder what those krauts are up to. cool.gif

The 'R' bike is being raced in endurance racing. This year was the development year and was a remarkable success for a debut machine. One of the shortcomings of the bike was the cylinder heads dragging through every corner. The new 4-valve DOHC engine will no doubt be shorter and/or higher to give more cornering clearance.

2008 will see a new 4-cylinder bike being developed for the 2009 WSB season for which BMW have already declared an entry. It is believed that they will enter the homolgation bike into superstocks in 2008 as part of the development programme.

edit: the WSB rules for 2008 will allow a 1200 twin but BMW decided to go the 1000 four route.

russell_bynum
The 'R' bike is being raced in endurance racing. This year was the development year and was a remarkable success for a debut machine.

OK...that's definitely a good segment for it.

One of the shortcomings of the bike was the cylinder heads dragging through every corner. The new 4-valve DOHC engine will no doubt be shorter and/or higher to give more cornering clearance.

My (somewhat limited) understanding is that one of the reasons we got that screwy valvetrain design in the oilheads/hexheads is because a DOCH head would be even taller, eating even more clearance. Now...you can counter that by making the bike taller, but that creates problems of its own. I wonder how they've dealt with that on this new head?

2008 will see a new 4-cylinder bike being developed for the 2009 WSB season for which BMW have already declared an entry. It is believed that they will enter the homolgation bike into superstocks in 2008 as part of the development programme.

edit: the WSB rules for 2008 will allow a 1200 twin but BMW decided to go the 1000 four route.

Very interesting! So....is this new 1000cc motor a derivative of the new K1200 motor, or something entirely new?

Cool stuff!

Very interesting! So....is this new 1000cc motor a derivative of the new K1200 motor, or something entirely new?

Cool stuff!

Russell, it's a porcupine motor, in essence the upper 2/3 of a 6-cyl radial. As such, and with only 250cc cylinders, they will be much smaller and the outer cylinders (what would be the traditional boxer cylinders), will not come close to touching in the corners. Still, they will stick out of the fairing a little, and with the two inboard cylinders neatly tucked away, it will give the "appearance" of a boxer, further connecting the brand to its heritage.

How'm I doin', Greg?

An HP series K would be an HP4 XXXXX.

The HP2s are all 2 cylinder.

HP2 Enduro

HP2 Megamoto

HP2 Sport

I saw a shot of new WSB bike. The reference (ADV) called it 190/190 refering to its power (hp) and weight (kg).

2008_BMW_supersport_2.jpg

russell_bynum
The HP2 sport is also legal for the AMA Formula Extreme class. I have heard rumors of a BMW entry in the Daytona 200 in March 2008!

Any idea if it could actually be competitive?

Archived