IGNORED

HELP!!! Key stuck in side case lock on R1150R

oiasghar

Well, I got me a set of side case of Craig's list. Came with no locks (expected) so I got a set of lock cores that you set to your ignition key. Got the tumblers all set in in the core, made sure I could turn it to lock and unlock. All good so far. I put the #8 slot paw and then inserted the lock core in the cylinder. Now the problem. I can turn it to lock and unlock with no issues, but the key would not come out.

What the heck did I screw up? and what are my options?

Thank you

Obaid.

One of the paws is almost certainly still catching. Remove the last one and disassemble it again. Then with the key in observe closely both sides of the inner cylinder for any paw still protruding.

HRminneapolis

I wouldn't normally mention this, but I have a left-side bag that will not release the key from the lock unless the bag has both handles in the closed position and then the key is turned to "lock". Only then can you withdraw the key. Seems weird to me, but I live with it.

Yippee!!! I got it. As my dad always says, "when everything else fails; read the instructions"

The guy I got the bags from had included the installation booklets. This included the key part on how to get the core out once installed. After taking half the bag apart, I got to realize that I needed to poke the screwdriver in this tiny hole to take the core out. Once the core was out, I removed the #8 paw that locks the core in the cylinder so it is easier to play with it. After staring at it for a while I remembered what the parts guy at Chicago BMW told me, you don't install the #7 paw. I took that one out and guess what. It all works now. Apparently the #7 paw does not have a place to move out to has the key is pulled, hence the key gets stuck in there.

Anyway, now the wait to get the other lock core in the mail. Another story for another post ....

I wouldn't normally mention this, but I have a left-side bag that will not release the key from the lock unless the bag has both handles in the closed position and then the key is turned to "lock". Only then can you withdraw the key. Seems weird to me, but I live with it.

Both my stock cases do that (key won't come out unless both handles are in the closed position). I thought that was the way it was supposed to be?? grin.gif

Archived