IGNORED

The Secret of Wikco's Tire Changing Bar

Joe Frickin' Friday

Steve_Reinig

Mitch:

Well worth the wait. Take your time. I do appreciate all the work you have put into this and would be willing to make a deposit as well

Joe Frickin' Friday
Ooops... sorry... didn't mean to start a cascade of eight more pages of 'I'm willing to send a deposit too!' posts... smirk.gif

Indeed, no more of those, please. blush.gif Yes, I've invested plenty, but no, I'm not hurting for spending money. Nobody needs to pay until product ships.

Ooops... sorry... didn't mean to start a cascade of eight more pages of 'I'm willing to send a deposit too!' posts... smirk.gif

Indeed, no more of those, please. blush.gif Yes, I've invested plenty, but no, I'm not hurting for spending money. Nobody needs to pay until product ships.

Mitch, again, a huge vote of thanks for this project you have undertaken for the benefit of all. Whenever, you get it all done, will be soon enough.

Thanks again! thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Mitch,

How's the 'project' coming? I know you guys got hit with some spring snow so you 'should' have had more 'garage time' as a result of that little storm. smile.gif

Mick

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch,

How's the 'project' coming? I know you guys got hit with some spring snow so you 'should' have had more 'garage time' as a result of that little storm. smile.gif

Mick

I was coming home from El Paseo on Sunday during that storm. crazy.gif

44 welded so far. Still need drilling, sandblasting, and powdercoating before they're done. Hoping to finish welding in the next week or so. Drilling doesn't take long, but blasting/coating does.

Maybe can start shipping in 2-3 weeks? Please consider my track record for accuracy of ETA's... blush.gif

Greg R1100RS'er

Just got on this tread, if you need a powder coater for FREE, we could do it.

I work for a fabricator in Wooster, Ohio about an hour south of Cleveland. Would only have to work out the shipping.

Greg R1100RS'er

Our system is just a little more sophisticated than that, 5 stage washer, 4 powder coating booths, overall line is 900 feet long.

We have a few BMW riders here so we are always doing "government work" as they say.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this!! I'll whip one up over the weekend of I get a chance. Mind you, I suspect I don't need to go to the 4 figure accuracy (a ten-thousanth of an inch!!) as indicated on the drawing!

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, not on the bar or tire machine, but it is related. When you take off your old tire, what do you do with them. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of my old tires and so far have had no luck. By the way, I just read the entire post on this topic. What happened? All of a sudden everything just stopped. I assume that means it shipped, but nothing was posted about it.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I have a question, not on the bar or tire machine, but it is related. When you take off your old tire, what do you do with them. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of my old tires and so far have had no luck. By the way, I just read the entire post on this topic. What happened? All of a sudden everything just stopped. I assume that means it shipped, but nothing was posted about it.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Check with your town. Mine collects tires for free. You just have to bring them to the local dump.

Joe Frickin' Friday
When you take off your old tire, what do you do with them. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of my old tires and so far have had no luck.

My local car tire shop charges $3 apiece to accept dead bike tires.

By the way, I just read the entire post on this topic. What happened? All of a sudden everything just stopped. I assume that means it shipped, but nothing was posted about it.

Currently shipping only to people who initially expressed interest. They're not under obligation to buy, however, and many will have understandably lost interest after waiting so long. After 10/31, I will make the rest of the bars available for sale to the general membership.

Mitch, I posted or PM'd (can't remember which now) back before you had the first 75 folks 'signed up', and asked

to have my name thrown in the hat for a bar also.

Let me know where to send the $$.

Also, any publicly available news on the other tire changing equip. you are working on?

Currently shipping only to people who initially expressed interest. They're not under obligation to buy, however, and many will have understandably lost interest after waiting so long. After 10/31, I will make the rest of the bars available for sale to the general membership.

Mitch,

Just picked up a harbor freight unit, put me down for one if there are any available, PM sent thanks.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch, do you have any final photos of the bar?

Well, Mick has shown what a pile of 80 bars looks like. crazy.gif

Here's the detail at each end. First, the "demount" end:

demountf.jpg

The bar is 3/4" squarestock, turned round at this end to mate with the nylon tip. A stainless steel button cap screw holds the nylon in place; the screwhead has been ground flat and polished to a satin finish, and sits in a counterbore inside the nylon tip to provide minimal protrusion.

The "mount" end:

mountf.jpg

If you go back to the first post in this thread, you can see the angles on the very first prototype are a bit different from this one. After some R&D I changed the angle of the tip to what you see here so as to better match what the tire bead does as it slides around the tip of the bar.

The bar is 38 inches long, covered with a gloss-black powdercoat.

You have any more of those babies left? Sure could use one.

<edit> sorry for wasting bandwidth. I'll wait until 10/31.

--

Mikko

I got mine last week, and it's a beauty! I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it is a very substantial tool. I see how it will work, and should do the job thumbsup.gif

I got mine last week, and it's a beauty! I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it is a very substantial tool. I see how it will work, and should do the job

Yeah. The photos don't quite do it justice. Steve may well fend off bear (though coyotes may be his bigger problem.) If I were using it for such purposes, I'd be sure to hit on the first swing; it's a beefy device, making the much bulkier Harbor Freight bar feel like a toy.

I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend. It will be a fun test. Scooter tires turn out to be more difficult to change than K12RS tires.

Lone_RT_rider

Mitch overdesigns everything! grin.gif

Mitch, I say we take that thing through a DFM session (Design For Manufacturing) and cost reduce it down to something that would be much lighter and easier or lest costly to ship. We will have that tool down to a .....well....ummmmm...I guess Harbor Freight already makes the crappy version. *insert best SNL voice here*....Nevermind! crazy.gif

Shawn

P.S. Mitch already has my order....lol

Randy (and Denny) -

The bar you see in the photos that started this thread is a prototype; the finished product will be 3/4" square solid stock from end to end, one piece.

Don't worry about quantity, I'll take care of it! Anyone else? If the first batch turns out not to be big enough, I'll make more if there's demand.

Yep..add me to the list. I have the HF unit and will likely need my first tire change early next year...

Thanx, Mitch!

I had been doing a search online for tire changer bars and Google landed me here. As a member of COG, I prefer to spend my money with members of the club who develop thier own products, such as www.murphskits.com who put a great deal of time and effort into their products. That being said, I am interested in the purchase of one of these bars for mounting tire and would like to be "considered" as a buyer.

Thanks

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've tried the PM thing with no results so I'll try this way. I want one! when you have them available. Thanks

got your message. sorry for the delay; my PM response may be slow, but I will respond eventually. blush.gif

Since this is now a commercial enterprise (albeit on an extremely small scale), any further communication directed specifically towards me ought to be through PM or email. Since this thread has been almost entirely about requests/orders for the bar, I'm going to lock it now.

Thank you all for your interest and support; it's been a very busy (but rewarding) year getting these things done! thumbsup.gif

Archived