IGNORED

Anybody having trouble finding tires

tnmtnrider

Anybody having trouble finding tires.

I ordered a front and rear Michellin Pilot Road 2 from Ride Direct, then get an email today that it will probably be the end of the month before they get any in. They said that the last batch that they got in were gone in a day.

Rocket_Cowboy

I've had no problem finding tires, even when it's a last minute roll up to a dealership needing new shoes while on a trip. It might be something specific to the Michelin shoes, but I've been able to easily get Metzler and Avons on a whim.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Just wondering why you chose PR2 instead of just Pilot Road? I'm looking for better mileage than my Conti Road Attacks gave me. I'm a conservative rider and usually get 9-10K miles from a set--my Contis barely gave me 7K miles. frown.gif

Just wondering why you chose PR2 instead of just Pilot Road? I'm looking for better mileage than my Conti Road Attacks gave me. I'm a conservative rider and usually get 9-10K miles from a set--my Contis barely gave me 7K miles. frown.gif

PR2 tires are available, and they are duel compound so should last longer. Tina is absolutely thrilled with them. It remains to be seen how long they will last.

Jim cool.gif

PR2 tires are available, and they are duel compound so should last longer.

Why would they last longer? I thought EffBee said (after talking to the Michelin rep) that the middle "third" of the PR 2 was the same compound as the Pilot Road, and the outer thirds of the tire were a softer compound. confused.gif

So Contis last about as long as a Final Drive? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

PR2 tires are available, and they are duel compound so should last longer.

Why would they last longer? I thought EffBee said (after talking to the Michelin rep) that the middle "third" of the PR 2 was the same compound as the Pilot Road, and the outer thirds of the tire were a softer compound. confused.gif

Well, he would know about tires. All I know is they work great! If they last Tina the same 12K miles as her last set, she will be very happy!

Jim cool.gif

Well, I think they'd last longer for me. My PR's were so squared off at 10k that I got new ones. If the sides wore a bit quicker, I would have used them for longer.

Just a thought.

finallyabeemer
Well, I think they'd last longer for me. My PR's were so squared off at 10k that I got new ones. If the sides wore a bit quicker, I would have used them for longer.

Just a thought.

It seems like every Nevada/Utah blast seems to result in a slightly squared rear tire that handled less precisely than I like. So I started reshaping tires.

1) Put on centerstand, use tie downs to prevent bike from lurching off.

2) Start engine, put in 3rd gear. May have to turn up idle speed a bit.

3) Use Stanley surform tool to shave rubber. Hold it pointed relatively downward and apply to spinning tire. Warning - when it hits the rubber, it WILL try to jump out of your hand and launch into ceiling! Hold FIRMLY and keep face and other soft things away. After a couple ohmygods, you will get the hang of it. Adjust angle a bit to control cutting.

4) Shave the shoulders away until you get the shape you want. Either just enough to eliminate corners, or take off enough to return to original profile. Notice it also exposes fresh, tacky rubber.

5) Use shop vac to clean up huge mound of rubber shavings.

6) Enjoy!

It seems like every Nevada/Utah blast seems to result in a slightly squared rear tire that handled less precisely than I like. So I started reshaping tires.
Interesting. I'd never heard of doing that.

Archived