IGNORED

Foot Peg Replacement

richrob

Is the "How" as in how to replace it, or "How" as in how did you break it?

Presuming the former, what is broken where exactly?

Well, traveling off main road,2up and heading downhill, and then gravel and sand. Getting worse, so I pull to the side, unload my so, and turn around. She remounts, and I start up the incline, and the next thing I know, I'm rolling backward, bars locks right, bike leans left, and I'm still thinking, more gas:) Anyway peg snapped off, and is on order. Never changed a peg before.

John Dickens

If it's the same as the 1100 then no problem. I broke the nearside riders peg off in Italy a few weeks back and we swapped it for the passenger peg in about 10 minutes.

The peg is held on by a cotter pin which goes through from the top. Underneath there is a spring, a nylon bush, a washer and a split pin.

Pull the split pin, remove the washer and nylon bush, note how the spring fits into it's locations then remove it. Push the cotter pin upwards and that's it. Don't lose the metal plate on the inner end of the rubber.

When you fit the new peg you may have to push it in hard to compress the outer rubber cover so that you can get the cotter pin back in.

If it's the same as the 1100 then no problem. I broke the nearside riders peg off in Italy a few weeks back and we swapped it for the passenger peg in about 10 minutes.

The peg is held on by a cotter pin which goes through from the top. Underneath there is a spring, a nylon bush, a washer and a split pin.

Pull the split pin, remove the washer and nylon bush, note how the spring fits into it's locations then remove it. Push the cotter pin upwards and that's it. Don't lose the metal plate on the inner end of the rubber.

"When you fit the new peg you may have to push it in hard to compress the outer rubber cover so that you can get the cotter pin back in. "

A little more help needed. Left side "03 RT. Don't see the cottor pin, that is tied into the peg. Do I release the spring and tap the pin out, to remove the foot peg? Thanks

Have a look here.

BMWfootrest.jpg

The cotter pin (11) goes through the footrest mounting plate and the footrest itself (1) from the top. Below the footrest is the spring (4) and the nylon bush (3). The split pin (not numbered) goes through the cotter pin holding it all together. The diagram does not show a washer so there may not be one on yours. The metal plate (5) fits on the inner end of the rubber. Don't lose it when you take the footrest off.

Have a look here.

BMWfootrest.jpg

The cotter pin (11) goes through the footrest mounting plate and the footrest itself (1) from the top. Below the footrest is the spring (4) and the nylon bush (3). The split pin (not numbered) goes through the cotter pin holding it all together. The diagram does not show a washer so there may not be one on yours. The metal plate (5) fits on the inner end of the rubber. Don't lose it when you take the footrest off.

Here's a link to an Online BMW Parts Catalog that you may find useful for pictures like above.

Archived