IGNORED

Battery minder

BarOne

Have an '05 RT and this is the first winter for me with the bike. Please recommend a good battery minder that is low cost and will keep the battery topped up all winter. The BMW model that plugs into the accessory socket has not received very good reviews on this board and it's darn pricey too. Let me know if you are selling one too.

Thanks.

Battery Tender Plus for Gel Batteries. Looks the same as the regular unit but is programed for gel. I have my accessory plug wired directly to the batrery. Also have a SAE plug to BMW plug. Both the wiring harness and adaptor can be found at www.powerletproducts.com

The BMW model that plugs into the accessory socket has not received very good reviews on this board and it's darn pricey too. Let me know if you are selling one too.

Thanks.

Other than the price, I haven't seen any negative reviews of the BMW charger. I've been happy with it.

just my $.02 (and worth every penny)

1) Any reason why my good old (regular model) Battery Tender will not work on my yet-to-be-gotten '08 RT.

2) Are we not allowed to use the acc. socket for that purpose?

3) I'm currently using my Battery Tender on my RT to (hopefully) charge my replacement Panasonic maintenance-free battery. Does the B/T not charge maintenance-free batteries?

Thanks

1) Any reason why my good old (regular model) Battery Tender will not work on my yet-to-be-gotten '08 RT.

2) Are we not allowed to use the acc. socket for that purpose?

3) I'm currently using my Battery Tender on my RT to (hopefully) charge my replacement Panasonic maintenance-free battery. Does the B/T not charge maintenance-free batteries?

Thanks

You cant run it through CAN BUS,,The acc socket is on CAN BUS,,I ran my socket stright to batt with a inline fuse,, thumbsup.gif

What am I missing here?

Are the acc. sockets on the newer BMWs useless?

I'm learning I may not be able to power a jkt liner, and I can't plug a B/T into them.

Then what ARE they there for?

We're suppose to wire into the battery for these 2 uses? (And, ...I understand the CanBus thing, but...)

That's how I use the sockets on my '99 RT.

It's all I've ever asked those sockets to do for me.

Just those 2 simple, but e-a-s-y, hook-ups cool.gif.

I don't want to have to go into the battery for that.

So even the official super-duper BMW tender cannot use the socket? dopeslap.gifbncry.gif

The acc. sockets are not useless, and they are not 'run through canbus' they are a switched power outlet controlled by the ZFE (body electics module). They shut off with the ign. The BMW charger has special curciutry to let the ZFE module know that its charging the batt. and to keep the socket live. if you have a charger that is compatable with a AGM batt. you can hook it up right at the batt. Regular batt. chargers use too hi of a voltage to bulk charge AMG (gell) batt. and can result in damaging the plates.

Earl

What am I missing here?

Are the acc. sockets on the newer BMWs useless?

I'm learning I may not be able to power a jkt liner, and I can't plug a B/T into them.

Then what ARE they there for?

We're suppose to wire into the battery for these 2 uses? (And, ...I understand the CanBus thing, but...)

That's how I use the sockets on my '99 RT.

It's all I've ever asked those sockets to do for me.

Just those 2 simple, but e-a-s-y, hook-ups cool.gif.

I don't want to have to go into the battery for that.

So even the official super-duper BMW tender cannot use the socket? dopeslap.gifbncry.gif

Wire (or have someone wire) the socket directly to the battery. Fused of course. Then you can still use the socket for whatever you want!

Archived