IGNORED

New Victory Vision

MrHondamatic

MrHondamatic

Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to visit the Victory factory trailer that was in town. Among the many bikes on display was a new Vision (aka Bat cycle). It does look better in person, but not a lot. But that is subject to my interpetation of style, so YMMV.

Sitting on it was enough to make up my mind. I'm 5'11" on a good day, with a 29" inseam. The bike was narrow enough that I did not feel uncomfortable holding it up, like I did on my old FLHS. While that was good for my legs, the seat was very confining, with no room to move forward and back. I put feet up on the foot boards and all the weight was transfered to my back side. No support under my legs at all, in fact I almost felt cramped compared to my old Honda, and it's cramped enough!

I didn't ride it, since I didn't have my gear, and the location of the display did not lend itself to rides. That was OK, I didn't desire to ride it anyway. I told the rep that we had been looking at BMW's, he seemed to think the Victory was comparable and would be a good alternative. confused.gif

For a bike that is suppose to be a long range touring ride, it leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe Victory's definition of long range is different than mine.

He also managed to pi$$ of the wife by completely ignoring her and speaking only to me. ooo.gif

He also managed to pi$$ of the wife by completely ignoring her and speaking only to me. ooo.gif
Big Mistake. blush.gif

All sales organizations should mandate training to their male reps on this, because men do not care enough to inherently know better. smirk.gif Women respond to eye contact - it's the foundation of trust. Put a husband and wife in a sales situation: If the male sales rep makes equal 50/50 contact with both the husband and wife, the wife will mistrust the rep, and the man will not (because we don't care, or better, we're ok with what we hear). The eye contact must be at least 70% to the female to eliminate mistrust as an impediment to acceptance of the information - the men will not feel slighted, we can happily live with the 30% (we're used to just give, give, give anyway, right boys?).

So, they lost you as a customer from the beginning, and didn't even know it.

I test rode it and liked it. The VV would be my next "American" motorcycle, if I needed it.

Not talking to the wife. Must of been a young guy. We all know that to sell a bike you must go to the wife. How do we get it in the garage anyway??? The wife must be happy with it. thumbsup.gif

MrHondamatic
Not talking to the wife. Must of been a young guy. We all know that to sell a bike you must go to the wife. How do we get it in the garage anyway??? The wife must be happy with it. thumbsup.gif

He was in his 40's, but probably on wife number 2, 3, or ?? dopeslap.gif

I rode one and thought it was a very nice ride. Not sure how it would feel after 500 miles but I liked it enough to want to find out. I could have just kept riding to the next state once I got it on the interstate...

One of the mags did something like 1,600 miles in 2 days riding one from MN to Sturgis and then somewhere else. The heavy weight (over 800#) and low MPG was very dissapointing. If I recall averaged 33. 38 high and 28 low. Not my idea of modern 2007 technology.

IMO they should be getting touring bikes down to 500-600 lbs. and there's no excuse for any bike not to achieve 40 mpg, it really should be over 50.

• 5 months later...

The wife and I rode one last year during the IMS show in Phoenix. I liked it. If I was in the market for a heavy Tourer this might be it.

Terrie my wife told me " You NEED this" She loved the passenger seat. Told me she could fall asleep.

Nope...I'll stick to my BMW ST

Interestingly enough, this months Motorcycle Consumer News had a test of the Vision Tour and they loved it... very few faults they could find... the only thing negative that they seemed to comment on was the lack of ABS as an option. I like the looks of the bike, very different. They said that everywhere they went people were drawn to it and like the styling a lot. Kudos to Polaris/Victory for updating the 50 year old American cruiser template, in a contemporary way.

Strange for a bike this size no center stand, no reverse, and no ABS available. Heard rumors about clunky shifting and engine heat. I liked the idea of low seat height and adjustable windscreen.

I sat on one at a dealership in Paso Robles, Ca. right after Christmas. It was one large heavy bike. Not for me. It was just too big and way too much plastic.

motorman587

I rode one in Atlanta, they had the demo truck up there. The wife did like the look. I liked it, but without ABS no deal. Not that I am looking or anything.

A fresh breath of design air, IMO. IF I were looking for a cruiser touring bike this is the one I'd buy. But no way am I giving up my GT, not yet anyway.

Really liked the built in guards that prevent tip over, why hasn't anyone else been able to pull this off??

Check out the Honda ST1300's tip over wings... quite effective (ST1100 had them as well)

Well.....I was referring to cruisers....no doubt I missed it on this grin.gif

Looks like I am in error as usual. dopeslap.gif

Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to visit the Victory factory trailer that was in town...

That same rig was in Memphis this weekend, and I rode the Vision, as well as a Vegas Jackpot. The Vision is big and heavy, but was easy to ride. Plusses included an adjustable windscreen, cruise control, good torque, lots of room to store stuff, and a very relaxed comfortable ride in 6th gear on the highway. Things I didn't like included a clunky shift into 1st gear, a several second delay in the gear indicator display (which really annoyed me for some reason), and it seems like it would be a pain to check the pressure in that rear tire. It looks better in person than it does in pictures, but the styling is still not for me. Riding it made me appreciate my RT even more.

Jay

I think the Vision is very polarizing. It seems you either like it or hate it. Very little in between (You don't hear anyone saying "it looks OK"). I saw one in person at the IBR. There was one riding in the Rally (I went down to support a buddy riding).

It doesn't do it for me. I personally think it's kinda ugly. Again.. it seems to be one or the other for most folks.

BMW twins have tipover wings.. they are called cylinder heads lmao.gif

the only thing negative that they seemed to comment on was the lack of ABS as an option.

On a bike like this, that's a big deal for me. I just saw one of these at a car show, and the salesman was trying to dance around that issue by discussing their linked braking instead and not answering direct questions. Looks better in person. Without the trunk it looks like a nice cruiser...

Friday and Saturday I rode down to Moab, UT and back, half of that in periodic snow showers up here closer to Salt Lake. While riding in the snow in deer country, it was nice to know I had ABS. I see no reason to buy a bike without it.

The problem I see is the lack of practicality. Very heavy, but limited luggage room. If I'm going ot buy a 800+lb machine, it better be able ot carry some serious luggage.

If they come out with a real touring version, then they'd have a winner.... if you like big V-Twin crusiers.

I like my bikes much more sporty, although I would't mind a little more luggage room for 2-up touring...especially with camping gear.

Any manufacturer bringing out a "stylish" behemoth like this, from the get-go, without a reverse and ABS technology on it, is, IMHO, verging on the moronic!

But, then again, this is the land of "being the first to have" so perhaps that is what they are relying on.....dopeslap.gif

IMO they should be getting touring bikes down to 500-600 lbs. and there's no excuse for any bike not to achieve 40 mpg, it really should be over 50.

I just recently purchased a Buell Ulysses to go along with my RT. I have spent the last 2 weeks riding nothing but it. Today I got back on the RT and the RT felt sluggish at slightly over 100 lbs heavier. I would hate to think what a bike that weighs over 100 lbs more than the RT would feel like.

Wayne

AdventurePoser

J and I saw one on the road on Sunday...To me, this behemoth is the most hideous looking motorcycle ever built...Just my $.02 worth, and of course, YMMV! lmao.giflmao.gif

Steve in So Cal

I have to say that I rather like the looks of the thing. I would never want to own one-it is completely the wrong bike for me. But, I rather like the styling (sort of a 'designed by Starfleet' kind of feel).

Mark, on the other hand, thinks that it is two of the ugliest bikes he has ever seen (one ugly bike without the topcase and one uglier bike with the top case).

Of course, I liked the look of the Rune and he hated it too, so we seem to never agree on these things.

I think the Vision is very polarizing. It seems you either like it or hate it. Very little in between (You don't hear anyone saying "it looks OK").

my $0.02

I agree with the above statement - also see no ABS, no centerstand as big drawbacks.

I don't think it competes with the Goldwing for touring or carrying capacity

And there is nothing in the BMW catalog to compare it too.

I saw one at the tail-end of last year at the UK's Motorcycle and Scooter Show. I overheard a comment along the lines of "That has to be American, no other country has such poor taste when it comes to styling". tongue.gif

As for myself, I wouldn't have one but if that is what floats your boat you will not hear me knock it.

Andy

According to this picture it compares to the GS line. dopeslap.gif

dopeslap.gif

I think they were talking about the Vision.

According to this picture it compares to the GS line. dopeslap.gif

ATL_7756.jpgdopeslap.gif

Tapatio - isn't that a Buell??

Today I got back on the RT and the RT felt sluggish at slightly over 100 lbs heavier. I would hate to think what a bike that weighs over 100 lbs more than the RT would feel like.

Do keep in mind that while the Buell is lighter, it's also rather short, and the steering geometry is rather aggressive. They also work to keep the weight low and central. All things that make it more agile.

The same tricks can be played on big heavy bikes. Not saying you can replace reduced mass with tech, but you can do a good job of hiding it.

Lined up with a GL, H-D, and K12LT the Victory looks right at home anywhere but my garage.

Tapatio - isn't that a Buell??

Depends on your guess for the "after" photo...

"wasn't that a buell?" might be more correct.

I remember when the R1200RT hit the market there were very similar remarks on this board regarding the styling. You either loved it or hated it. Now, it seems these bikes simply fit in with the rest of the Beemers. It'll be interesting to see the comments on the Victory, or lack of, in three years or so.

Just to be on the record, I think it looks very cool. I love the innovation.

An acquaintance of mine - a former HD rider - has had a VV for about 3 months. Wherever he parks it, his is the bike getting all the attention - from the non-motorcycling crowd that is! Everyone who doesn't ride wants to know what it is, who makes it, etc.

I absolutely hate the way it looks. And after three months, the finish on the plastic trim on the saddle bag is coming off. The bags are relatively small, at least compared to my old RT's 33L side and 49L topcase. No thanks.

Archived