IGNORED

Besides Riding...Reading

ricko

Any thing by Peter Egan or Bob Higdon. They're completely different but both really good writers. Peter writes a column for Cycle World each month and a compendium of his works are Leanings I and II.

Until this year Bob reviewed each day of The Iron Butt, is a regular in On The Level, and has been published in a few of the major mags (google him).

Look in the mail order catalogs (riderwearhouse, etc.) they've got most of the good stuff and there's lots of it.

One I'll mention is The Perfect Vehicle: What Is It About Motorcycles by Melissa Holbrook Pierson, she's a good writer and has an interesting perspective.

I almost forgot, any ride tale by EffBee, his stuff is publishable, and it's free. grin.gif

The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles by Melissa Holbrook Pierson.

Breaking the Limit: One Woman's Motorcycle Journey Through North America by Karen Larsen.

Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon.

Peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson.

Written in 68-72 when the Angels were creating their persona. An interesting look at the "Other Side."

Long Way Round, the book, written by the two British actors who rode around the world. Same story as the TV show, which I haven't seen.

It's a pretty good story about a very ambitious trip, meeting people around the world. I especially enjoyed the authors' visit to the Ukrainian mafioso house. Lots of impressive photos.

Neal Peart's stuff, like Ghost Rider is good. This one has lots of personal grief, but the travelogue is good too.

Jim

Just started reading this one. Really like Ghost Rider so far.

Neal Peart's stuff, like Ghost Rider is good.

I agree with Jim. Ghost Rider is a bit depressing at times, but still a very good book to read. There was a good article about Peart in the BMW Owners' News about a year or so ago.

I forgot to mention, besides Ghost Rider,Leanings I and II, there is a book called "She's a Bad Motorcycle - Writers on Riding" (by Geno Zanetti). This is a collection of the best exerpts from about 20 motorcycle books. If you like one of them, then you can go find the actual book and read it. Fun reading....

Rick,

Good to meet you and share a dinner table last nite.

As for books, last motorcycle book I read was "Under and Alone" by William Queen. It's all about 'bikers'.wink.gif

Enjoy...

Mike O

Zero to 60...motorcycling and life - Gary Paulsen.

Quick read but very good.

Another Gary Paulsen book, Pilgrimage on a Steel Ride.

Another vote for Neil Peart, both "Ghost Rider", and the more recent "Roadshow". The latter chronicles his travels on BMW GSs throughout North America and Europe, while on tour with the band Rush (he's the drummer). While his two band mates fly in a private jet, Neil travels by bus with his bikes in a trailer. He essentially rides between venues. In fact I'm just finishing up reading Roadshow for the second time. It's fun reading about places that I've been by bike.

It could be argued they rode across the world....but that may be a British perspective cool.gif The same two guys (Ewan McGregor - actor & Charley Boorman - not actor) just did "Long Way Down" - John O'Groats to Southern Tip of Africa......./www.longwaydown.com

thumbsup.gif

Would echo the votes for "perfect vehicle" and add Good Vibrations - Coast to Coast by Harley by Tom Cunliffe...............may not be entirely pc on this forum but nevertheless a good read. lurker.gif

(Gary Paulsen's Zero to 60 and Pilgrimage On a Steel Ride are the same book, different titles (Zero to 60 is the paperback title). He is the same Paulsen who wrote Hatchet, which anyone who had or has kids in middle school is probably familiar with. He also wrote two good books about dog sledding as well as numerous juvenile novels.)

Steve Wilson is a British writer who wrote several novels in the 70's and 80's in which motorcycles figured prominently: The Lost Traveler, 13, and three novels featuring "Dealer" - Dealer's Wheels, Dealer's Move, and another one. All are out of print but available from Alibris and other sources. The novels are thrillers, but these days Wilson shows up in various British magazines writing about classic bikes and especially his old BSA A-10, Anneka.

One of his sledding books is "Winterdance" about the iditarod.

I didn't realize he changed the name of Pilgrimage for paperback.

Sneaky rascal!

I didn't realize he changed the name of Pilgrimage for paperback.

Probably the publisher made the change - a little more pizzazz. Actually, the hardcover and early paperback editions used the "pilgrimage" title, the later paperback edition the "zero" title. Agree that his Winterdance and Woodsong books are beautiful depictions of dogs and dog sledding.

Thanks to all for the recommendations--more than I expected. I've have several books on my Christmas list and others ordered from the library. That should keep me busy during the upcoming winter days when riding is not possible.

As new titles come out, share your reviews. Maybe we should have a standing topic ??

Safe riding and good reading.

Archived