IGNORED

Rear Brake Job

Theophilus

While doing the rear brake bleed a couple of weeks ago, we noted that my rear pads were thin. So yesterday, I picked up a pair of OEM pads and was all set to get into it today.

I have a couple of questions, though:

1. The linings on the two pads are of noticeably different thickness; the right pad is 0.060" thicker than the left one. Is this normal?

2. The Haynes manual calls for a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads. How important is this? (read: how sorry will I be if I ignore this step?) I have no copper grease.

Thanks!

1) Yes. Since the rear caliper only has pistons on the right side that side will wear a bit faster than the left.

2) No problem, the BMW manual doesn't call for any copper grease to be applied.

Stan

So I suppose I'm the only one - but after noticing the asymetrical wear, I switched around my old brake pads (left to right, and right to left) figuring they'd even out by the time they were completely worn out. I can't think of a reason not to - anyone else?

So I suppose I'm the only one - but after noticing the asymetrical wear, I switched around my old brake pads (left to right, and right to left) figuring they'd even out by the time they were completely worn out. I can't think of a reason not to - anyone else?

Hmmmm... I cannot imagine how that would work. The pads on my bike are not made in such a way that you could do this... unless I am really missing something here...

Hmmm. indeed. Perhaps I'm a dope and just put them back the way I found them without realizing it? Although my pads are not exactly the same as those shown in the pdf posted above... (96 11rs).

Archived