IGNORED

49 Liter Top Case-Remove and Paint

Tapatio

Anybody know how to remove the lid for the 49 liter top case? I want to get it painted and thought it would come out better if I remove it from the bottom portion and remove the BMW emblem. I cannot figure out how this thing is attached. There are some adhesive strips around the sides that I worked through but it is still stuck on something else. dopeslap.gif

Trust me,You do not want to go there !!! I took my top case apart,,5 hrs to put it back togeather,,lots of gears and small parts that have to line up when you done,,Its a pain in the a--,,,A good body shop can tape it off and paint it,, thumbsup.gif

I don't think you have to take the inner shell apart to paint the outside. Just remove the torx scres that hold the lid to the hinges and pull the lid off. The back pad also removes with torx screws. I think the emblem is just held with adhesive. You can remove it with a little heat from a blow dryer and some dental floss.

I took mine to a local auto collision shop recommended by my BMW dealer and had them paint it. They know how to work around emblems and mask areas that should not be painted. They are also familiar with removal and reinstallation of parts. They did a great job. Check out the local motorcycle dealers and ask where they get their paining done.

Archived