IGNORED

Help needed with long -oval head shape helmets

mos

I am in the market for a new helmet. I am looking for helmets that will fit my long-oval head ONLY. I have learned that if it is not made for a long oval head I don't want it. I know the Arai Profile is one. I am looking for other options to compair.

Thanks , Mike

I have a long-oval head and my Nolan N100E fits pretty well. I have heard others say the same re. Nolans. But try it on first!!!

I have a long-oval head and my Nolan N100E fits pretty well. I have heard others say the same re. Nolans. But try it on first!!!

Not trying to mince words, but this is a great example of EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT... I have a 'long-oval' shaped head, tried the N100E above and after about an hour I had a hot spot on my forehead that caused a headache for 2 days. Tried a N102 and that was a lot better. So TRY IT ON, is all I can tell you.

To your question, I settled on either the Shoei RF1000 or the X11 (actually have the X11). They both fit like they were custom-made for my head. Good luck and don't get discouraged! thumbsup.gif

Dave McReynolds

I have a long oval head, and even though the Shoei Multitech is not designed for my head shape, it fits me fine. No hot spots and no spoon work needed. They are not all exactly the same, either. I tried on two larges, and one fit my head better than the other one. The one I bought fits my head better than either of the two Nolan's discussed above. So try on a lot of helmets, even ones not advertised for long oval heads.

The Shoei X-11 is long oval. The Arai Profile is long oval and feels like it is slightly narrower than the Shoei. I have the X-11.

One thing that no one is mentioning that has a real bearing on comfort for ANY helmet: SIZE. Don't go by your head/hat size or anyones opinion as to what you need--you may wear a LARGE in a N100E and need an XTRA-large in an N102. Don't get hung up on the sizes of your previous helmets. TRY IT ON FIRST!!! And try different sizes.

Once again ,I am looking for options on helmets that will fit a long oval head. So far it looks like Arai Profile and Shoei X-11. I will size each brand to my head when I get to try them on. thumbsup.gif

I have been faced with this problem as well. I tried multiple brands (Arai, Shoei, Nolan, Schuberth etc.) and models in all sizes without success. If it would fit front to back, I could put my hands inside the helmet on the sides to fill the voids.

One day a friend of mine (my boss) allowed me to try his new Suomy Spec 1-R. (w/gambler graphics) This was bay far the best fitting helmet I have ever had on my egg shaped head. I was so impressed with the fit, I had to get one. He could not remember where he got it though...The next day at work, it was sitting on my desk!

I have a long-oval head. I've gotten perfect fits from an Arai Signet GT and an Arai Profile, a tolerable fit from an Arai SZ/m, and a painful fit from every other helmet I've ever tried on. Every single one gives me a pressure point on my forehead. I would LOVE to have a module (flip-up) helmet, but I've never found one that fits.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I have a long-oval head. I've gotten perfect fits from an Arai Signet GT and an Arai Profile, a tolerable fit from an Arai SZ/m, and a painful fit from every other helmet I've ever tried on. Every single one gives me a pressure point on my forehead. I would LOVE to have a module (flip-up) helmet, but I've never found one that fits.
Hi Bill. I had a Signet as well. Loved it for 6 years. I wanted a modular and found a HJC Symax to be quite comfortable.
Hi Bill. I had a Signet as well. Loved it for 6 years. I wanted a modular and found a HJC Symax to be quite comfortable.

I tried one. Apparently my head is a longer oval than your long oval head. I'm a freak of nature. Lucky to find a helmet at all. grin.gifbncry.gif

+1 on the freak show, Bill - we seem to have the same shaped 'noggins. I thought I was in trouble when the Signet was discontinued. If they stop making the Profile or something similar, I'm hanging up the boots. Nothing else works, and I've tried just about everything!

lawnchairboy

I suggest you look at Scorpion helmets, outstanding value for the dollar and fits my odd shaped noggin pretty good, I have two of them, Exo400's and they are great, I am looking forward to replacing them in a couple of seasons with the newest generation scorpion product.

I don't know if I have a long oval or what.

My head is egg shaped when viewed from the top, narrower at front, thicker to the rear- not oval, egg shaped like real world eggs that have a slightly pointier end.

I've had good fit from an HJC CL-SP and am currently wearing an Arai XD "dual sport" helmet, which I like even though I'm on an RT because it has a sun visor.

I just solved the exact same problem. I got advice from this forum, went out and used it. Nolan is made for long oval heads, but not mine. Felt just like the one I was wanting to slam to the driveway and smash to bits. Same pressure spots.

Dave had suggested the Shoei Multitech. Tried it on, not one hot spot, fits like a dream, lighter weight than my other helmet was. I took it out for the maiden ride last Friday and I kept saying, "I love this helmet" over and over and over. What a relaxing ride I had and it felt just super-great to be done with those burning pressure points. So...................though others may be recommended for long, oval heads, you really just have to try them all, wear about 30 minutes, and you should know.

I even brought mine home, left the stickers on it and wore it around the house for almost an hour, still felt good. Raised the chin bar and gave it another 45 minutes and................decided to remove the stickers and make the helmet mine. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Seems there's lots of us with odd shaped heads. I just bought a HJC modular helmet. At first I thought it would be okay but it hasn't worked out. It fits great except at my forehead, where it presses pretty bad.

I've actually thought about getting in there with a dremel and carving out some of the foam or whatever it is that lines the helmet. I don't need much more clearance. But that'd probably compromise the integrity of the helmet.

I'll have to try the multitechs.

finallyabeemer

AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can relieve minor pressure points. I always plan a lunch stop a couple hours into a ride with a new helmet. Then I bring helmet in with me and gently massage and compress the expanded foam in the tight areas with the back of a spoon. It's easier if the helmet has a removable liner. Yes, this will reduce the total amount of energy it can absorb in an impact, so proceed wisely. For myself, I'm OK reducing thickness about 1/8" - which can make a world of difference. If it would take more than that, I would get a different, better fitting helmet.

Dave had suggested the Shoei Multitech. ...LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

I keep visiting my local dealers looking for a Multitech in my size to try on, but so far I've had no luck.

Archived