IGNORED

Reliability of F800's

gec343

I recently sold my 04 R1150RT, due to it being out of warranty, plus some reliability problems, ABS modulator, transmission oil leak, etc. The wrranty covered those problems, but soured me a little on BMW quality.

Any information on the reliability of the F800's vs the R1150's, R1200's, etc. I am contemplating the purchase of the new F800GS if and when it comes out.

I have 6500 Miles on mine. A few months old. I love this bike alot, like it was my first 10-speed. tongue.gif

I had the over-torqued plug recall ( broken porcelain, or cracked in some bikes on the plugs ), but not in mine. But they did replace the plugs anyway.

A few quirky cut-outs after really hard riding - that is a software upgrade from what i have read so far, thats still to be done on mine, as soon as i can part with it for a day.

Otherwise, the bike is pretty great. It is nothing at all like a boxer. Test ride one to see what i mean. Still love my boxer, and i dont think i'll ever NOT have a boxer.

But this f800s has taken my fancy like any new bike has its way of doing...

As far as workmanship, i think its really good. BMW does always leave 1 or 2 things to be improved it seems. The Brake fluid reservoir is one ( a litle funky plastic jiggling thingie, kinda looks out of place) and the mirrors ( if your not a 16 y.o. with a 27" waist, youll never see behind you without buying aftermarket mirror extensions - which look OEM, and work flawlessly).

I'd buy this bike again without question.

thumbsup.gif

As far as reliability, I'd put the F800 up against anything BMW has ever built. Rotax makes absolutely bulletproof engines, one of the reasons the F650's have such a loyal following. They also make light aircraft engines, a field where there is no room for error. I fully expect the F800 engine to have K-bike style longevity.

My F800 has over 10k and has not used a single drop of oil from day one, something that I could not say for the previous oilhead. And of course the belt drive is simple, light, and not prone to unexpected failure.

I'd considered waiting for the GS version, but all indications are it will be a chain final drive, so I'll happily stick with the ST.

too old to care

I have been gone for awhile (from BMW that is) after the dealer in St. Louis left town a few years ago. I have been riding for more than 40 years, but I sold my R1100S after owing many other BMWs over 20+ years of riding them and bought a Ducati (third one I have owned). I loved the Ducati, but it was too over the edge for my wife to ride with me. So, when Gateway BMW opened a few weeks ago I ventured down there to “look things over.” After looking, I took an F800S home.

I have ONLY completed a few short rides, so I am no expert in how it will hold up, but it reminds me of an early K bike, only with more character and a LOT less weight. If it holds up as well as those K bikes, it will outlast my riding career.

Over 15,000 miles in 5 months of ownership....

Zero oil

One battery (under warranty)

Two cut-out incidents (software reboots)

One loose gear indicator switch (wasn't seated properly on set-up)

One very happy rider thumbsup.gif

As far as reliability, I'd put the F800 up against anything BMW has ever built. Rotax makes absolutely bulletproof engines, one of the reasons the F650's have such a loyal following. They also make light aircraft engines, a field where there is no room for error. I fully expect the F800 engine to have K-bike style longevity.

My F800 has over 10k and has not used a single drop of oil from day one, something that I could not say for the previous oilhead. And of course the belt drive is simple, light, and not prone to unexpected failure.

I'd considered waiting for the GS version, but all indications are it will be a chain final drive, so I'll happily stick with the ST.

+1. There isn't that much on an F800 that should become a major mechanical liability. wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 18,000 miles on my 800S and no problems. Right before the 12,000 mile service the bike's engine died a few times but the dealer fixed that. I also had a flat tire at 5500 miles and it was nice to have the tire pressure monitor for that. For me it is as comfortable as my previous R1150R, R1100RT, R1100RS etc. I have done a 1006, 953, 870 and several 700 plus mile days on it.

• 4 weeks later...

6000 Mi, software upgrade for cutouts (had about 5) and it improved low speed performance, great for 2-up (surprise), my R1100RT is getting needed rest, if I would have to have only one I would choose F800ST (+ I put on 1" riser on handlebars).

Archived