IGNORED

Tee shirts...Whip got me thinking...

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

mtnman.jpg

Would anyone volunteer to research John Day, the man, and see if you can find some other images or actual photographs? The Oregon Historical Society might have something.

Leslie, could you chime in with any branding guidelines we need to follow?

Many thanks. thumbsup.gif

"Whip got me thinking..."

I hate it when that happens. Look at Phil. He quit workin on his GSA because he took one little ride on by orange/black monster.

Next he'll change his name to 1ktmfan.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay...back to the UN.

I've been reproducing pix of the "Hero's of the Alamo" for years no permission is needed.

As far as the research goes the net is a good place to start, the story makes reference to many things that are named after the dude, so each one will have a different reason and story to go with it. I have seen coffee cups and t-shirts with a pic on the front and the historical info on the back.

The John Day UN-Rally.

Sounds better than the 2008 UN Rally.

Also it will set us a part from the Chief Joseph Rally.....in John Day.

I have never been to the town, but it may have a statue, painting or something that we can use as a reference. They may have a problem with us using it for profit, but if the shirts are made and then the money is donated to some non-profit then they really can't say much. Besides they may not care.(sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but there is a line)

I bet we could get Azkaisr to where a costume to look like JD......maybe hANNAbONE......I wonder if JD could carry a tune.

They said the dude was 6'2"......I'm 6'2"

They said he was hansom......better find someone else.

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I just found this on Wiki.

"He is best known, along with Ramsay Crooks, for being robbed and stripped naked by Indians on the Columbia River"

Doesn't sound like we will need much of a costume....

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

That's funny.

The John Day UN-Rally. Sounds better than the 2008 UN Rally.

Completely agree.

They may have a problem with us using it for profit, but if the shirts are made and then the money is donated to some non-profit then they really can't say much.

Forget about profits going anywhere...we're just interested in covering costs on this venture. If there is anything left in the kitty, it goes back to this DB.

Not even going to touch the rest of your post... eek.gif

Firefight911

That's funny.

Really!!! Wait until I, errr, my wife gets a hold of you Mister!!!!

Not even going to touch the rest of your post... eek.gif

Aww, c'mon!!! Chicken. Maybe we could get Tom to dress like Elvis. Now THAT would be funny!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

As always, our policy is to stay away from any copyright violations. That includes the roundel. I doubt that reproducing or caricaturing a pic of some pioneer is going to cause us a problem.

Here's an interesting biography.

Here's some info. Maybe a caricature of a mountain man in a coonskin cap on a motorcycle or some such thing would be fun.

More--

John Day, a Virginian, came to Oregon in 1812 with the Overland Expedition of the Pacific Fur Company (Astorians). John Day traveled primarily in Northern Oregon, and a river was named for him due to an incident near the mouth (along the Columbia River), where John Day was robbed by American Indians.

Another Astorian-Mountain Man that has a great number of things named after him is John Day. His only claim to fame is that he became mentally ill and was sent back to Fort Astoria by Robert Stuart.

From Washington Irving's "Astoria"

Another recruit that joined the camp at Nodowa deserves equal mention. This was John Day, a hunter from the backwoods of Virginia, who had been several years on the Missouri in the service of Mr. Crooks, and of other traders. He was about forty years of age, six feet two inches high, straight as an Indian; with an elastic step as if he trod on springs, and a handsome, open, manly countenance. It was his boast that, in his younger days, nothing could hurt or daunt him; but he had "lived too fast," and injured his constitution by his excesses. Still he was strong of hand, bold of heart, a prime woodman, and an almost unerring shot. He had the frank spirit of a Virginian, and the rough heroism of a pioneer of the west.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I sent a note to Tony_K asking if he had anything to do with tee shirts, screen printing and so forth.

Got this response:

I do it ALL!

I got you covered when your ready. Like this years UN. Mark shot me some ideas and I rolled with it. They didn't know what they were getting until right before the event! Everyone seemed to like them.

They way Mark and Sylva did it seemed to work well for their event. You should contact them about what they did for payment and pre orders as it made things a lot easier.

Shirts, stickers, swag all that crap I got you covered.

Whip, you and Wade want to get with him and see what he can do and for how much money? I think I want a bit more control (I'm a control freak...helps in my job... grin.gif) as in, seeing what we're gonna get before it's too late.

Or really, if someone else would jump all over the tee shirt thing, I'd be good with that too.

Hey Steve

I buy and sell over 100,000 shirts a year and Tony is as good as they get. The 07 UN shirt I saw was very well done with good detail. He does charge more than I'm use to payin, but it's prolly worth it. The price of an extra t-shirt was $20 last year. It was 4 color process which means there are no limits to the colors or design you want. He can literally take a photograph, photoshop it, and reproduce it on a shirt.

BTW...the hard cost on that shirt is below $2.

I don't know how you want to work it. The 06 UN gave out a goody bag when you signed in and you prepaid for it, I don't remember how much, and I don't know how much last years was. If your tryin to keep it under $50 the t-shirt could be the biggest part. Let me know.

The only other concern I have is, if you want to control the design I don't want to be between Tony and you. You can show me what you want and I'll get Tony to do it. But if you want Tony to just start spittin out artwork until your happy, he's gonna hate all of us before it's over.

For the record I have gone to Tony for advice on buyin printing equipment, he was very helpful and I'm sure I would have no trouble workin with him.

Whip

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I need to get an idea on costs beforehand, to see if this Un can afford what he's charging. Beyond that I'll hand over the entire tee shirt design and production entirely to you. I trust you (dunno what I'm getting myself into by saying that... grin.gif ) and more importantly need to hand off components of this rally if it's actually going to get accomplished.

I'll send a message to Wade and tell him to stand down, for the moment, on his tee shirt contact.

So if we assume 150 people will attend, for the purposes of estimating, then let's say that plus 20% overage for ride-ups and people wanting extras and we get 180 shirts. Near as I can gather prices are the same for S-XL. We need to get 12-15 that are XXL-XXXL and that will drive the price a bit. Do women's tee styles up the price any?

20 womens cut, M-L

15 mens XX-XXXL

145 mens M-XL

That sound about right? We can get a more precise head count once registration has begun.

Let's also think about stickers...seems to be a popular thing. I think my GunnyUn is on my tool cabinet out in the garage. Maybe 2 per registrant? Again, need prices for 180-360 stickers.

You give me prices and I'll let you do everything else, okey dokey? smile.gif

I don't know what tony's price was relative to what Mark and Sylva charged for the shirts.

You don't need to factor much extra money into the rally price beyond actual costs. Let's say the shirts and stickers cost you $5-$8 per.

If you "charge" $15-18, that will pay for a night with pizza and coffee & pastries on reg. morning. Judging by past responses, people want to see value for money. Say registration is $45. If that includes two meals, a continental breakfast, a tshirt, a sticker and ride route print outs, that's a good value. A lot will depend on the per head charge from the caterer. You should be able to come in at less than $10 per head for a BBQ dinner.

If there's pizza in town, they may give you a deal based on volume. They did in Cody. The other thought, if pizza isn't availble would be 6 ft. subs or something else inexpensive and casual like that for a second evening meal.

I'm sure you've thought of all of this. I'm really just spewing out my thoughts and trying to add to the MOUNTAIN of info that you're already considering. lmao.gif

If I'm nosing in too much, please, just say the word. thumbsup.gif

I need to get an idea on costs beforehand, to see if this Un can afford what he's charging. Beyond that I'll hand over the entire tee shirt design and production entirely to you.

Thank you for taking my efforts into consideration. I'm done and will have no further involvement with the shirts. I have an inside contact with a company that has supplied gear to many professional sport functions. We WERE looking at polo shirts at T-shirt prices and embroidered emblems at screen print prices. T told you this on the phone. No offense to others that stepped up but why did I bother in the first place?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Wade, I misunderstood when we talked. Let me call you please. I value your involvement here.

Whip, would you consult on the artwork aspect of embroidery and have Wade manage the production aspect? When I wrote this passage

Whip, you and Wade want to get with him and see what he can do and for how much money?
I meant for you (Wade) and Whip to together manage the shirt aspect. I do agree that in the rest of that post I essentially state to have Tony do the printing.

I misunderstood that what you were suggesting about the Polo shirts could be a reality. This is entirely my error and I don't want to irreparably damage our friendship because I was short sighted.

Please reconsider pulling out. I'd like your expertise on the John Day area in addition to your other contacts.

Respectfully,

Steve

russell_bynum

Just FWIW, my personal preference would be for a T-shirt rather than a polo shirt.

The only time I wear polo shirts is at work, so unless the design is VERY understated, an Un Polo would just sit in my closet.

Take that for what it's worth...just one guy's opinion.

Whip, would you consult on the artwork aspect of embroidery and have Wade manage the production aspect?

I would be happy to.

I look forward to workin with Wade to make this an Un to remember.

Whip

Whip,

I'm having a rough estimate made based on the Cody Un-Rally shirt. I'm not sure what colors the print design will include but I do know the shirt colors available from my source..

White, Aquatic Blue, Ash, Daffodil Yellow, Light Blue, Lime,

Orange Sherbet, Pale Pink, Sand, Stonewashed Blue, Green,

Violet, Yellow, Athletic Heather, Athletic Maroon, Black, Brown, Cardinal, Charcoal, Colonial Blue, Dark Green, Gold, Kelly, Navy, Olive, Orange, Purple, Red, Royal, Sangria, Spruce, Steel Blue. Sangria sounds good to me grin.gif

If we use my friend Ric he would prefer the design in vector graphics, the industry norm, to ease fitting the design to the shirt. He would also accept vellums for each color in the design.

Are any of those colors, "stonewashed" "Desert washed" "weather".....it's a colored shirt that looks to be treated to make it look and feel softer.

A better description here.

https://www.broderbros.com/cgi-bin/broderliv/webshr/prod-detail.w?sr=DW115

"If we use my friend Ric he would prefer the design in vector graphics, the industry norm, to ease fitting the design to the shirt. He would also accept vellums for each color in the design."

Is that English?????? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Does he have an artist on staff????

Whip

Firefight911

Anything but NOT white!!!!!!!!

I definitely want long sleeve as that is what I prefer when riding.

That's $.01 of my $.02 worth! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

russell_bynum

"If we use my friend Ric he would prefer the design in vector graphics, the industry norm, to ease fitting the design to the shirt. He would also accept vellums for each color in the design."

No...it's graphicsdesignerese.

Fortunately I'm married to one of those types. ("Oh stewardess? I speak jive.")

Vector graphics basically means no photographs. Clip art is generally a vector image. Photos are rastor images.

Vector graphics scale very easily without pixelating (getting all fuzzy like). Rastor graphics start to pixelate as you scale them up.

I'm not 100% sure what a Vellum is in this context, so this is where I'll STFU and let someone else explain. smile.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I have graphic designers on my staff and will ask one of them how tough it is to take non-vectored artwork and make it vectored. Or really, how much time will it take?

Okay, so we need to get a non-binding bid from Ric and Tony, including generating the artwork. I also requested a bid from a shop near my office called http://www.desteenation.com/ . Regardless of who produces the tees, we'll also need some stickers.

What do you think about cut vinyl as opposed to regular stickers? I suppose if we go with a cut vinyl, then we're limited on design. I was thinking about it after riding in a two-day dual sport ride around here (through a freezing fog, just like Torrey! grin.gif ). Looks great on my fairing.

180642599-L.jpg

As it is, I think I'll get a larger UnVinyl cut for my swingarm. I think that's look pretty neat. So maybe we offer a tee shirt and one each black and one each white cut vinyl? Sure, they'll be more than regular shaped stickers, but I'd like to look into it.

Comments?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Anything but NOT white!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

I definitely want long sleeve as that is what I prefer when riding.

Nope. Short sleeved only.

Here is my comment: What is it with you and dirt (and mud)? If your bike looked like that, what did you look like?

Oh, I guess I was supposed to be looking at the sticker. What sticker? Sorry, I'll try to do better next time. dopeslap.gif

Rod

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I don't mind submitting a vectored design, but to submit individual plates for each color is a level of detail I'd rather not have us deal with.

Assume we can get a proof, just to test color and so on, not to make changes in the design?

Firefight911

Graphic arts imbecile!!!

A quick education, please. The cut-vinyl are the ones that have backing on both sides, peel off one, apply, smooth, pull off top backing?

These can be very nice stickers.

Anyone know who did Torrey Fall '06 stickers? These were pretty nice, multi color. Was it Gregori??

Oh, and I like the dirty look. Naysayers!!!!! Sheeeesh!!!

Whip, I'll look into the "washed" look colors. As to short vs. long sleeves it might be a good idea to settle on short and make long sleeves a pre-order option only.

I'm using one of Phil's .02 dopeslap.gif

Hey Wade

Who's gonna do the artwork?????????????????

I don't mind workin with Gregori. I just got a PM from him the other day. He isn't doin much.

Whip

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Who's gonna do the artwork?

I have resources, but it would be better if a motorcyclist rendered things, someone who can provide nuance. Put out some feelers and let me know if you need my help.

If you're going to have a theme or name for your UN, you might want to firm that up before you look for artwork so that Greg or Tony or Rodger or seanc or your friend or, or, or, has an idea of the direction you want to go.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
If you're going to have a theme or name for your UN, you might want to firm that up before you look for artwork so that Greg or Tony or Rodger or seanc or your friend or, or, or, has an idea of the direction you want to go.
I've got a pretty good idea and can communicate that with the designer.

Oh great. Secret keeper!!! wink.gifwink.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Oh great. Secret keeper!!! wink.gifwink.gif

It'll be cool, don't you worry yer lil head about it. Besides, I'm of the firm believer that too many inputs can spoil the cliche. Or something to that effect.

So Steve has the theme. Larry & Steve know artists. I have a processor who happens to be fairly artsy but rides a Harley lmao.gif I would like to stay at the printing end of the spectrum if prices work out.

Ric would be getting the shirts from SanMar for this job. See www.sanmar.com

So Steve has the theme. Larry & Steve know artists. I have a processor who happens to be fairly artsy but rides a Harley lmao.gif I would like to stay at the printing end of the spectrum if prices work out.

Ric would be getting the shirts from SanMar for this job. See www.sanmar.com

It's a good company should be no problem......

And they have the shirts I was thinkin of.

http://www.sanmar.com/sanmar-servlets/CatalogBrowser?id=199296&parentId=125&catid=125

Ya know what, a good friend and and artist is back in town and lookin for work. He maybe able to help.

I'll post a link to his website later.

Good color, looks like my Red Dirt Shirt from Kauai thumbsup.gif

Doesn't have to be that color, just that material.....Burnt Orange makes an Aggie(Like me) sick.

"Dirt shirts"....that's an idea.

http://www.dirtshirts.com/

They sell good in my stores and are different for sure.

Whip

Doesn't have to be that color, just that material.....Burnt Orange makes an Aggie(Like me) sick.

"Dirt shirts"....that's an idea.

http://www.dirtshirts.com/

They sell good in my stores and are different for sure.

Whip

I will be verrrry careful not to mix up hang loose with hookem horns. lmao.gif By the way my WSU Cougars were the last ones to beat Mr. Young when he was with that other team thumbsup.gif Of course they haven't beat anyone else since eek.gifbncry.gif

I like the dirt idea. I've also dyed my own shirts with beer when Liz once brought home some Stout that wasn't fit to drink, 150 shirts would take a lot of beer.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I'm kinda partial to the Scotland Blue.....

Sure it's pretty nice too. I kinda like the burnt orange, but the shirt color will be largely dependent on what the designer comes up with. I was thinking about UnRally Utilikilts!

lmao.gif

I'm kinda partial to the Scotland Blue.....

Sure it's pretty nice too. I kinda like the burnt orange, but the shirt color will be largely dependent on what the designer comes up with. I was thinking about UnRally Utilikilts!

lmao.gif

eek.gifeek.gif

I'm diggin' the kilts but I think the men should have to submit a photo of their legs before being allowed to buy! lmao.gif

YES!-- cool.gif

ewan.jpg

NO!-- eek.gif

golfers.jpg

I'd be happy to contact my cartoonist friend if folks would like that. He really is very good.

Logo: How about a miniature dachshund in Mountain Man gear riding an RT? (Nah, I'm just kidding. Honest! Steve, don't get any ideas....)

BTW that photo above looks like Dances With Roads' boots....although I think Reed actually shaves his legs..... tongue.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
...although I think Reed actually shaves his legs..... tongue.gif
This is information that I did NOT need to know. eek.gif

As far as your cartoonist buddy, have a chat with Whip. He was going to approach (or had already) an artist friend that owes him a favor.

No wiener dogs on bikes...good idea tho. grin.gif

...although I think Reed actually shaves his legs..... tongue.gif
This is information that I did NOT need to know. eek.gif

As far as your cartoonist buddy, have a chat with Whip. He was going to approach (or had already) an artist friend that owes him a favor.

No wiener dogs on bikes...good idea tho. grin.gif

I've talked with my artist friend while I was in Fort Worth.

He'll be at my office today at 2pm.

I have an idea what Steve is lookin for.

I have no problem with Doc's friend(or anyone else) doin some sketches and seein if ya'll like it.

I'll report back this evening.

Whip

Archived