IGNORED

cracked head ?

chinist

Looking into the intake port of my 99 1100rt 18k, I'm seeing what looks like a crack in the casting between the valve stem bores. Worse yet I checked the other head and it looks like it has the same crack. Anyone ever heard of it ?

No. Sure sure it's a crack and not a molding line? About the only way to know for sure is to have it magnafluxed (sp?)I guess.

Seems kind of unlikely that both heads would be cracked in exactly the same manner (especially since AFAIK there isn't any common issue with head cracks in the oilheads) so I think you can hold out some reasonable hope that what you're seeing is normal. I'd be much more worried if you only saw it on only one head... wink.gif

Get a small mirror and a good light and look at the "crack" from several angles. My money is on it being a casting "flash" from where two pieces of the mold fit together.

I believe that most cracks will begin near the exhaust valve seat and maybe run between the two valve seats.

P.S.- you can't magnaflux an aluminum head, it has to be magnetized in magnaflux. Dye penetrate testing, Zyglo or the old standby red dye can work, but are sometimes difficult to use in an area like that.

Frank

Calvin  (no socks)

Any reason you were looking into the port? Is it running badly? Did you notice it while doing something else?

I found a crack in a cylinder block in a car the other day... I was looking for it after extensive diagnosis for missing coolant and a mis-fire code for one cylinder... a new engine is on order...

I was doing a tbs and thought the bbs on the right bank looked exceptionally carboned up.The sync didn't go well, close but not perfect. So I pulled the throttle body to see how bad it was gunked up and got to looking around while cleaning everything and noticed it. The left side was pretty clean, but like I said, had the same line in it. Before I had said it was between the valve guide bores, but actually it is lower between the valve seats. I was hoping maybe someone had a head off they could look at to see if is a casting line or not.

I'll see if I can attach a picture....if it works (not sure how to attach) you might be able to make out the line in the spot of light, lower left just off center.

934863-crack....JPG.0f0a384dfbdc0fcd431d8737f700178f.JPG

ShovelStrokeEd

Doubtful that is a crack. Just a surface imperfection. It is no where near the valve seats anyway, it is well up in the port on the divider. No real stress in that area to have caused a crack, it just doesn't get hot enough.

Jerry Johnston

I got a cracked head in my 96RT when it had only 800 miles on it (one side only) and it leaked oil so bad I looked like I was on fire when returning to town from a ride. I'd like to see a picture of your cylinders and since I had a spare head saved up I could see if it had the same lines you're talking about.

you can't magnaflux an aluminum head, it has to be magnetized in magnaflux.
I knew that...

But apparently not yesterday! dopeslap.gif

you can't magnaflux an aluminum head, it has to be magnetized in magnaflux.
I knew that...

But apparently not yesterday! dopeslap.gif

I'm sure you were thinking of "Fluorescent Penentrant Inspection" and your fingers couldn't see what they were typing. grin.gif

Can you tell anything via the attached jpg in reply to Calvin E post ? Its not a very good shot but should give you an idea where I'm looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to remove my right hand cylinder head this weekend due to valve damage - after reading your post I took at look at my intake and sure enough there is what seems to be a join just where you indicated. I'll attach a picture, but it's still hard to see....

Oh yeah, I have a 1997 (09/96 manufacture) R1100RT

Scotty

940117-rh-cylhead-intake-crop.jpg.cd199dba80f3b230be32a48a479c25a9.jpg

Archived