IGNORED

Tires... again..

ChuckS

This past weekend while touring the wonderful world of Eastern Oregon, some 400 miles form home my riding mates noticed that I was suddenly showing an inch of cord through the middle of my rear tire…javascript:void(0)

bncry.gif my Conti Attacks… with hummm about 6000 miles on them! Needless to say I did not ride home…. (Riding R1200RT)

So I am looking at new tires.. contemplating Metzler roadtech Z6s, Michelin Pilot, and finally Avons.

Looking for input here folks. I live and ride in the lovely (wet) Pacific Northwest and like to ride daily commuting.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

russell_bynum
This past weekend while touring the wonderful world of Eastern Oregon, some 400 miles form home my riding mates noticed that I was suddenly showing an inch of cord through the middle of my rear tire…javascript:void(0)

bncry.gif my Conti Attacks… with hummm about 6000 miles on them! Needless to say I did not ride home…. (Riding R1200RT)

So I am looking at new tires.. contemplating Metzler roadtech Z6s, Michelin Pilot, and finally Avons.

Looking for input here folks. I live and ride in the lovely (wet) Pacific Northwest and like to ride daily commuting.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

For wet grip, I've never experienced anything better than Michelin. Pilot Road on the RT, Pilot Power on my track bike and Tuono, and Pilot Sport 2 on Lisa's 528i. All of those provide incredible wet grip.

I ran Michelins on my K1100RS for about 9 out of the 11 years I had it. Great tires. I have had 2 sets of Bridgestones 020's and they were very good in terms of stickiness in wet and dry. Now I have Avon Storms on the bike and I am very pleased so far. I will never put Z6's on this bike again. Front tire wandered thru some turns or tracked on its own, slippage from the rear tire on occasion and the steering was not neutral. Just my experience.

Exploreinman

Ran two sets of Pilot Roads on my R12RT and have just installed Bridgestone Battlax 021's. I really liked the Michelin's, but the Bridgestones seem to provide better grip. This opinion is purely subjective and I wonder how much mileage I'll get out of them.

Stephen

The Bridgestone's definitely provide great grip. At least in my opinion. I got 7K miles out of the first set when I bought the bike with 4K miles on it. The second set I got about 5.5K miles. For the last year or so I have been trying out different brands. My next set of tires will be the ME880's. I am looking for a higher mileage tire. One sure way to ensure that is to not ride as much. ARGH!!! Good luck with your 021's. Let us know how they work out for you.

St0nkingByte

Personally I think the Pilot Roads are perfect for a RT the Seattle area. I'm on my second set and the only time they've slipped is when I rode in a freak hail/snowstorm smile.gif I've ridden other tires on other bikes in the rain around here and the Pilot Roads have been the best so far. I'm also getting reasonably good mileage out of them as well, 10k on the first set.

Since you need tires now Pilot Road 2's are out of the running since you can't actually get them around here yet.

Has anyone seen / ridden the 2s? I hear that we wont see them until Jan 08?? confused.gif

Tried to get 'em...not available yet...so...put on reg. Roads. First set 13k miles with thread left!! clap.gif $250 shipped.

ShovelStrokeEd

I have a Pilot Power 2CT on the front of my Blackbird right now, great tire. If I get any reasonable life at all out of it I'll run it all the time. Regular Pilot Road on the back at the moment as I am doing a bunch of slab riding this month. The dealer I got these tires at didn't have a Power or Road 2CT in stock in my size at the moment or I would have tried the rear as well.

So far, I have about 1500 miles on the set and can detect no distortion or discernible wear on the front. There is a tiny loss of profile (read as flat spot) developing on the rear. I still have lots of miles to do on the bike, Santa Clara to Kansas City, via Barstow, OK City for this weekend, then up to Chicago the next weekend, over to Bridgeport, CT the following, down to Philadelphia, then Oak Ridge, TN and then home to S. Fla. All of these trips will be on weekends, usually leaving on Friday or Saturday with arrival on Monday night.

I should have a pretty good idea what the tires are doing by then. Someone ask me around mid-November and I'll let y'all know.

Ran two sets of Pilot Roads on my R12RT and have just installed Bridgestone Battlax 021's. I really liked the Michelin's, but the Bridgestones seem to provide better grip. This opinion is purely subjective and I wonder how much mileage I'll get out of them.

I've got a little over 5k miles on 021's and they look like they'll go at least another 1.5-2k. Until these tires, I hadn't put anything on the RT that went over 5.5k. Grip has been great and the front and rear seem to be wearing at about the same rate.

On this RT I've run out a set of Z4's, a set of Z6's and two sets of Conti Road Attacks. My confidence in the 021's is measurably greater than any of the previous tires.

Archived