IGNORED

Torrey XIV Check-in Thread

Twisties

I'm a wee bit late posting, but I arrived home around 1700 Sunday evening after an easy 593 mile ride. I left Torrey at 0730 with Rich (Butters?) with a very refreshing 25F. We split up at Panguitch... I took 143 up over Cedar Breaks, where it was warmer than Torrey even at 10500 feet!

The ride went well until.... about 15 miles east of Kelso on Kelso-Cima Rd. I was doing a steady 80mph when I came upon a slow moving sedan, followed by a white pickup and a minivan. It was a double-stripe, but I had a clear view through the corner so I made a safe pass of all three vehicles. A mile or so later, the traffic was stopped by a park ranger and a USFS fire truck... just around the bend was a nasty motorcycle crash that required TWO medevac helicopters. While watching the helo land, I saw a ranger approaching me in my mirror. He was driving the white (unmarked) truck that I had just blown by. Whoops. Busted. He didn't have any sense of humor and took his time writing my citation. So now I get to pay an $80 fine. I guess it could be worse. Eventually we were able to continue, but I was rather pissed at myself for being so stupid. I think I jinxed myself, because just the day before I'd been discussing that same issue with a few people after we got back from Escalante. I've never had a citation from a park ranger before, so if anyone has any tips on how this might affect my insurance and driving record, feel free to PM me. I'd certainly appreciate it.

While southbound on Kelbaker Rd north of Amboy, I was passed by a V-Strom travelling at quite a high rate of speed...the jacket looked familiar, so I'm wondering if it was Bill Walker either before or after losing his tank bag. Sucks to hear about that!

Today I learned something about the motorcycle crash on Kelso-Cima. An acquaintance of mine was on a group ride heading back to Palm Springs when the accident occurred. There was a dip in the road followed by a turn... my friend saw a cloud of dust ahead and two people flying through the air. Husband and wife on the bike. They're in pretty bad shape...she's in critical condition and might not make it. I'll hope for the best. There were about 10-12 Harleys on the side of the road when I motored past the crash site, but I was too distracted to spot my friend at the time.

Oh yeah, and when I got home...my car had been broken into. Just what I needed. Left side window shattered. The bastards dinged up my dashboard trying to get my stereo out. They gave up I guess and just stole the quarters out of the change-holder. Overall it was a pretty weird Sunday.

It was great riding with several of you and I'm looking forward to doing it again in May!

The ride went well until.... about 15 miles east of Kelso on Kelso-Cima Rd. I was doing a steady 80mph when I came upon a slow moving sedan, followed by a white pickup and a minivan. It was a double-stripe, but I had a clear view through the corner so I made a safe pass of all three vehicles. A mile or so later, the traffic was stopped by a park ranger and a USFS fire truck... just around the bend was a nasty motorcycle crash that required TWO medevac helicopters.

I was the last vehicle in line at this stoppage when they finally started to let us through, and then was first in line behind a ranger on foot who insisted on walking us up to the scene before letting us go.

While southbound on Kelbaker Rd north of Amboy, I was passed by a V-Strom travelling at quite a high rate of speed...the jacket looked familiar, so I'm wondering if it was Bill Walker either before or after losing his tank bag. Sucks to hear about that!

I can neither confirm nor deny etc., etc, but I may have passed an RTP in that vicinity. grin.gif OK, I had a feeling that was you! I still had my tail pack when I stopped on Kelso-Cima, so I lost it somewhere after that.

Today I learned something about the motorcycle crash on Kelso-Cima. An acquaintance of mine was on a group ride heading back to Palm Springs when the accident occurred. There was a dip in the road followed by a turn... my friend saw a cloud of dust ahead and two people flying through the air. Husband and wife on the bike. They're in pretty bad shape...she's in critical condition and might not make it. I'll hope for the best. There were about 10-12 Harleys on the side of the road when I motored past the crash site, but I was too distracted to spot my friend at the time.

Oh yeah, and when I got home...my car had been broken into. Just what I needed. Left side window shattered. The bastards dinged up my dashboard trying to get my stereo out. They gave up I guess and just stole the quarters out of the change-holder. Overall it was a pretty weird Sunday.

It was great riding with several of you and I'm looking forward to doing it again in May!

Bummer about the riders, and your car. I noticed in the curve that there was a major washout in the shoulder, coming right up to the pavement and several feet deep and wide, and I was wondering if that was a factor in the accident. It would've been pretty easy to get caught by surprise and go just a little wide in the curve, only to hit that chasm and get tossed. I'm guessing these folks were at the big H-D rally in Vegas, which makes me wonder whether alcohol was a factor. Certainly fatigue could have been, after being out in the sun all day.

Hee Hee Hee!! And the tables have turned now haven't they!!

Not quite--

We keep showing up where we say we will. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

There. Now I've left you a huge opening for the first time we have to cancel.

Sue & I made it home Monday after a Sunday night's stay Mesquite. (because we don't like going through Vegas on Sundays)

We both had another great time seeing all our old friends and meeting new ones.

Want to thank Jerry again for giving up his beloved #2 room to us, as we somehow arrived without a place to stay. dopeslap.gif

Again, had a great time and we can't wait for next May.

I've never had a citation from a park ranger before, so if anyone has any tips on how this might affect my insurance and driving record, feel free to PM me. I'd certainly appreciate it.

My understanding is that it is a Federal ticket. You pay it and that's it. No report to your state or to your insurance company. I could be wrong, but that's how I've heard it works.

Hee Hee Hee!! And the tables have turned now haven't they!!

Not quite--

We keep showing up where we say we will. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Ohhhh, THAT'S gonna leave a mark! lmao.gif

"Who's your Mama Hoon NOW, Phil?!" grin.gif

lurker.gif

Also arrived home yesterday afternoon. Although I've done the 2 day ride thing to/from Torrey before, I wasn't going to subject Linda to 1150 miles in 2 days as a passenger on an RT. And, we HAD to be back yesterday so couldn't afford a lost weather day. And we all know how close we were to being "stuck" for one or two more days. The RAV4 and Kendon handled the trip without a problem.

Thanks to everyone for a great time. Best wishes again to Laney and Dennis. Bob, thanks for all the help, and parking space. And a wonderful day just puttering around Capital Reef with Joe, Jamie and Leslie.

Louise, can you maybe put a few pounds on Larry so he can stand outside for more then 60 seconds when it is close to freezing?

Finally met this Wurty guy. Odd sort, something about opening a hair salon in Moscow, ID. Wanted to know if I had daughters and what their ages were.

Hope to see everyone next year.

Photos and ride tale to follow.

Mike Cassidy

Home at last!!!!

No problems....

BTW....It wasn't raining in Kerriville.....just 10 miles before it.

I don't know if we were early or late for the rain.

Whip

I got a speeding ticket in DV this year and it was a federal. I called and asked about traffic school and I was told I would have to appear before the judge in Bakersfield (I'm in L.A. 100 miles away) and the judge would ask if a) have I had traffic school within the past 18 months, and b) was the ticket for 25 or more over (it was 70 in a 45). The ticket kinda indicated that it may or may not affect local DMV, so I paid it online and was done with it. That was six months ago, so still not sure if I get burned on insurance or points. Good luck.

Peter

My daughter got a speeding ticket in Kings Canyon, a federal ticket. We mailed the money in and it never showed up on her California driving record. I think you will be ok.

Home at last , Left Sundayday morning and rode to Zion, Death Valley, stayed in Beatty, NO Death Valley Inn yet, than went thru Tiogo Pass down to have dinner with Pop in Modesdo, than rode the Sonora Pass to Reno than the Lassan Park to Mt Shasta , Hiway 96 to the coast and north to home, whew... thanks aoll for the wonderful time i got to spend with you all in Torrey, and to Killer for the tires that saved my bacon............ bedtime, as work starts tomarrow

By the way, at Mt. Shasta, my bike turned 100,000 miles. All of them BMWSTouring.com miles.... thanks
That's SO cool, Tank!! clap.gif

And thanks for the head's up on the DV-Inn. Did it look like it might be up and ready by mid-November? confused.gif

Oh, and "Peter W": "70 in a 45"?? dopeslap.gif

I've got two words for you: "Valentine One"!! cool.gif

In the last 9000 miles we logged in the last seven weeks, ours probably paid for themselves a few dozen times over! thumbsup.gif

Paul Mihalka

Guess I'm the last one in. Just got home about a hour ago, safe and sound. Ride home had some wonderful moments and some less wonderful moments. Story later.

Good to know your home safe and sound. thumbsup.gif

It was a true pleasure to meet you in person at Torrey and listen to all your stories about growing up.

You'll always have a willing ear with me to hear more! wave.gif

No, Paul, you're not the last one in, I am. Got home Friday night, October 5, at 7:00 pm, after taking the long way home. After riding with Paul to Gunnison on Sunday (by way of Grand Junction, over Grand Mesa, and down CO 92 along the north side of the Black Canyon), we parted Monday morning, Paul heading south, and me east then north. Made it to Estes Park late, in the cold, rain, and wind. They wouldn't let me go across Rocky Mountain National Park in the morning due to snow and 50 mph winds (but Ranger Rick, I've ridden in 50 mph winds before, it's not a problem), had to backtrack south to I-70 (32 degrees on the east side of Eisenhower Tunner), down through Leadville, up over Independence Pass for one of the last rides over the pass for the season, and into Montrose for Tuesday night (what a ride that day!). Wednesday I rode down Million Dollar Highway, took a side trip through Wildcat Canyon, then up 145 and over Lizard Head Pass. This was one of those perfect riding days - temps in the 60s, crystal clear air, golden aspens, easy riding at a moderate pace. Took 141 through Gateway to Grand Junction for the night, then a simply glorious ride to and around Moab, taking in a too quick trip to Arches, Dead Horse Point, and Canyonlands to finish the day. Friday was an easy ride home down through Monument Valley. 8 days, 2960 miles total. This was truly one of my more enjoyable trips, and it was all within a days ride from home.

Great seeing everyone in Torrey, although sorry I missed the wedding. Great day on Saturday with the hooligans (no names need to be mentioned; you all know who you are). Looking forward to next Torrey, as usual.

OK, that's it. I don't think there's anyone left who's not home yet. Is there?

wave.gif

Archived