IGNORED

Torrey XIV Check-in Thread

Twisties

ArizonaAl and Gary Tomich made it back to the Phoenix area with no problems or PA's so all is well.

Was great to see everyone again and share a few stories and some libations-- look forward to next time!!!

See you all in May

Firefight911

I'm home!!!!! Left around 7:30 AM and got home at 7:15PM!!!! Great drive. Pics soooooon!!! thumbsup.gif

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!! What an experience!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Paul Mihalka

Far from home but a wonderful day of riding with Howard Phillyflash. Typing in the hotel lobby in Gunnison. Great weather, ride through Grand Mesa and rt. 92 above the Black Canyon was perfect. Torrey and people is always special. Hope to see all of you next year at the PNW UN. I'll keep reporting when I have a chance.

I'm home!!!!! Left around 7:30 AM and got home at 7:15PM!!!! Great drive. Pics soooooon!!! thumbsup.gif

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!! What an experience!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

You done good, girl! thumbsup.gif

(did you leave Phil behind??? blush.gif)

Firefight911

Woops....I thought he was right behind me!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

No, he comes home tomorrow. He needs the time off. There were 6 messages on the machine and 5 were the fire dept......jeesh. eek.gif

russell_bynum

I dropped Lisa off at the airport in Vegas (She's flying out for a conference this week), and pulled into the driveway about 10 minutes ago.

I currently have a Burmese cat on my shoulder, an Irish Setter sitting on my foot, and a tabby cat sitting across the room pretending he didn't miss us. grin.gif

We had an absolutely fantastic time. We'll do ride tales with pics later. This was a "dualsport only" Torrey for us. We ran a fairly challenging 60 miles on Friday afternoon, and then Bob led us on a ride through Cathedral Valley that can only be described as "breathtaking".

Major kudos to Killer for being an awesome guide, and for letting me sample his CRF...which I will also review shortly. (Expect lots of phrases like "Holy sh*t", and "stupid fast".)

I also need to thank Whip for the test ride on his big KTM. Once I figured out to really over-do the body position stuff, that bike was just incredible in everything except deep sand. It's not very happy in deep sand (or...probably more accurately, I'm not very happy in deep sand on it. grin.gif ) but everywhere else, it's just so balanced and fun. That motor is intoxicatingly powerful, but also really easy to manage.

Pics and lies will follow soon, but we had a fantastic time. It was a totally different Torrey for us, but I really enjoyed it.

Well, Paul beat me to it. Yes, we're in Gunnison. Left Torrey a Philly Flash minute past 9:00 am (9:20 am, actually), heading out at 35 degrees F. It started to warm up just past Capital Reef, but we never felt cold. Gorgeous weather all the way into Gunnison by way of US 24 to I-70 W, and then over Grand Mesa. As we were approaching the top of the pass we reached a point where the road was still in shadow, and was a combination of wet, a little bit slushy, and a bit of ice here and there. But we were lucky we didn't leave earlier. A car coming down the mountain must have hit the ice and flipped and rolled. The wreck looked very bad. We slowed til we reached dry land again, then all was good. No traffic on 82 just north of the Black Canyon. Excellent conditions, with minimal gravel in the corners. Very good dinner at the Trough. We're going to get a little bit of a late start in the morning, as the 7 am forecast is 28 degrees, and Paul needs to let it warm up before going over Slumgillion Pass in the morning. He's heading south for northern NM, and I'm heading north for Rocky Mountain National Park.

Great time at Torrey, like usual. Fantastic job on your first real ride, Jamie.

More later.

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm even further from home now. Got in around the dinner hour on Saturday and was hypothermic from 35 deg coming through the Eisenhower over in Colorado and then hitting that charming front with the dropping temperature and 40 mph gusts.

By accident, Dennis and Laney "found" me at a fuel stop about 100 miles out so they led me a merry chase through Hanksville and then through the park. I didn't have a room booked or reservations so I wound up at the Comfort Inn, a misnomer if there ever was one.

By the time I got down to the Chuckwagon, pretty much everyone was gone so I just booked over to Reno. Santa Clara in the AM. Remind me to check the weather before I do another of these. Sorry I missed you all, or almost all.

Firefight911

Still here in Torrey!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Took a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong 4x4 truck trip to the Henry Mountains today. 10,500 feet up! Suuhhhwweeeeetttttttt!!!!

Leaving for home in the AM. See you soon honey! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

I'm even further from home now. Got in around the dinner hour on Saturday and was hypothermic from 35 deg coming through the Eisenhower over in Colorado and then hitting that charming front with the dropping temperature and 40 mph gusts.

Good to know you made it through. It was nasty for awhile.

Debi and I pulled in around 4:30 safe and sound. We slept in this morning, hung out at Bob's for a bit, and said our goodbyes around 12:30pm.

Stopped in Salina at Mom's Cafe for some of the best home made chicken noodle soup I have ever had. thumbsup.gif

It is always good to see everyone again and we are already looking forward to next May's gathering.

russell_bynum

By accident, Dennis and Laney "found" me at a fuel stop about 100 miles out so they led me a merry chase through Hanksville and then through the park. I didn't have a room booked or reservations so I wound up at the Comfort Inn, a misnomer if there ever was one.

By the time I got down to the Chuckwagon, pretty much everyone was gone so I just booked over to Reno. Santa Clara in the AM. Remind me to check the weather before I do another of these. Sorry I missed you all, or almost all.

Too bad we didn't know...Eric wound up with a spare bedroom in his cabin at the CW and a blackbird-sized parking spot on the front porch that would have done nicely.

Well, Amy and I pulled in at about 4 or so as well. We decided to risk Huntington/Fairview canyon and it turned out to be a great decision. It was a great ride home.

Glad everyone made it back OK (so far). It was a great Torrey I'll have to post pictures soon.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I walked in at about 9:01. A great trip, good ride home, but I'm beat.

I'll check in tomorrow.

Thanks to all for a great time!

Rich (soon to be Butters)

We got to the Orange County home about 9 pm following a pretty uneventful ride through moderate weather. Except that Dennis learned too late about watching what you ride through after you see cows cross the road.

Ewwwwwwww - somebody re-name him Cow Pie Slayer. grin.gif Glad I was riding in front - my bike still smells pretty good! thumbsup.gif

Pictures to follow - after some sleep thumbsup.gif

Left nice and late from Torrey around 11.45 am! Got in at 10:20 pm. A good 600+ miles with a dinner stop in NV. Ready to turn around and go back!

ericfoerster

Kickstand down at 2:00am thumbsup.gif

I had an absolute blast riding home. The weather was just perfect for the run all the way back to Tejas.

I never felt a breeze the entire day and the temps were just right. The troopers were friendly and the food was good.

Az Al’s ear plug/speakers kept my foot tapping all the way home (Thanks Al).

I met a young airman in Santa Rosa, NM who just happened to be headed to San Angelo on his VTX1800. We rode in together and it was nice sharing the last bit of the ride in.

Thanks to all for another GREAT event.

Ed, I feel real bad now as the spare bed in the cabin was empty the entire weekend bncry.gif

Not home yet!

Had great ride to Grand junction, not cloud in the sky, just perfect!!!!

Thank you, thank you!

What great time!

See you next year!

Mark

Dave McReynolds

Had a great trip! Here is one of Fernando explaining to the sheriff that while he couldn't find the money right then, he was sure it went to a worthwhile cause.

Fernandoandsheriff.jpg[/img]

Made it in last night. What a great trip. Fall was certainly in the air (literally) but I'll let others tell the tale. It was so wonderful to see everyone. I can't wait for May!!

Back in LA by noon today with an RT named Betsy! grin.gif

Left the Chuckwagon at 10 am Sunday with the Crest Krew, which wanted me to tell you guys THANKS for all the warm welcomes you gave them, and follow a Ducati up and over UT12 in perfect weather. Also got to show them Cedar Breaks,this time Besty was laeding with only the FZ-1 able to hang with her in near perfect weather conditions, no snow to be seen anywhere in those Mt's at all.

Oh ......... and the GORGE was sooooooooo much fun in a pack with light traffic this time.

Thanks to everyone for all your help with my situation. It could have been a whole big mess without you guys. clap.gif

Home safe and sound.

The Beaver ditched me in Vegas at 5 am because he owed me breakfast.

Rode home at a great pace because I didn't have Mather slowing me down lmao.gif

Home Monday at 12:40. It would've been Sunday night sometime, but somewhere between Primm, NV and Twentynine Palms, CA, my tank bag decided it was no longer enjoying the ride and bailed out. I didn't notice until I stopped for gas in Twentynine Palms, so I backtracked as far as I could without committing to go all the way back to Primm (no gas available between the two), but I couldn't find it.

I've concluded that nothing attached with bungee cords, even if said cords came attached to the bag, is safe at high speed.

Firefight911

Phil called about an hour ago and he was having lunch in Ely, NV. He has been fighting 40 mph winds. Hopefully the weather will hold till he gets over the pass. crazy.gif

Hi all,

checking in from Dallas (my "home" for the next few days of this conference)! wave.gif

Had a great time seeing everyone again. Til next time!

Had a great trip! Here is one of Fernando explaining to the sheriff that while he couldn't find the money right then, he was sure it went to a worthwhile cause.

Fernandoandsheriff.jpg[/img]

Home around noon Monday. Lots of GREAT Torrey stories to tell, including a proper explanation of the photo above, other photos which are certain to surface, a wedding, a collection for some devastated families, some fun with a few deputies in Castle Dale, UT, turning around in the slush at 10,000 feet, double jalapeño burgers, 37 degrees and 40mph crosswinds, 30 degrees and no crosswinds, a 150mph blast with saddlebags and trunk on the FJR (just for a second), cows, more dead skunks than we've ever seen in Torrey, old friends, new friends, motorcycles crushed by tree limbs, backyard engineering to straighten subframes, and more hugs than I've ever had before.

Oh yes. One final drive failure. The chain on Wurty's V-strom.

Left Torrey at 07:00 Sunday. I'm sure the temperature didn't get above freezing till well past Salt Lake City. Made it to Great Falls Sunday night. Home in Edmonton at 3:00 PM today. It was great to see everyone.

Perhaps Dennis and Laney have started a great tradition and someone can get married every Torrey.

Brian, Meghan and Jack home safe and sound. What an awesome weekend. One of the best Torry run's in a looooong time. Thanks everyone for making it awesome. thumbsup.gif

Got in late last night 10:30 with jroper we did 900 +

miles.Rob made it home on Killers

tire and I will post on that a little later.

Tony K and Killer your the best.Thanks.

Quote:

Fernandoandsheriff.jpg

Home around noon Monday. Lots of GREAT Torrey stories to tell, including a proper explanation of the photo above

...Now you weren't thinking "a proper explanation" was going to help were you? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Firefight911

I am home.

Got in at 7:30 PM local time. 702 miles in 11 hours 45 minutes. Stopped for an early lunch in Ely, NV after battling some serious 40 mph crosswinds. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif Flew straight through to Carson City, NV for another bite after getting buzzed by an F-16 at about 200 feet of the deck near Fallon. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

What an amazing Torrey!!!! Can't say thanks enough to everyone who made this a trip that I will remember for the rest of my life! Ride tale and photos to follow. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

As Dave (Duke55) has already posted, we got back to the Left Coast at 10:30 Pacific Time last night. We left Torrey at 8 AM Mountain Time with 27°F temperature. 900 miles in 15.5 hours. Had a great time. Pictures to follow. Looking forward to the Unrally.

Finally home tonight at around 19:00 hours. Had another INCREDIBLE time as usual! I've got to go to work tomorrow for 48 hours and it'll be another 120+ hour week at work . . . but it was SO worth it!! grin.gif

Firefight911
Finally home tonight at around 19:00 hours. Had another INCREDIBLE time as usual! I've got to go to work tomorrow for 48 hours and it'll be another 120+ hour week at work . . . but it was SO worth it!! grin.gif

Hee Hee Hee!! And the tables have turned now haven't they!! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Archived