IGNORED

The Official El Paseo X Ride Tale, Picture and Check-in Thread

StretchMark

Back home in lovely So Fla after a wet and very windy day. Wow, was that mountain weather great or what?

Mark & Christine - you two are the best!

I had a really good time scheming with David's son Jonathan to pull off the beer label joke. I gave Jonathan the basic concepts and the quotes for the labels and he ran with the rest. I thought they tuned out really cool. The best part about the joke was that David was paying for it all grin.gif

I thought I'd share a few pics from the Monday Night Brewery festivities.

Jonathan stirring up some Harvest Brew:

202951846-M.jpg

Jonathan rockin' to Bryan Adams and the smells of Oatmeal Stout brewing:

202953952-M.jpg

I'm thinkin' GooberWeizen:

202954069-M.jpg

High tech gravity fed slow drip device:

202954362-M.jpg

You can read Jonathan's Blog about the event here.

Thanks again to David for providing the financial backing so the MNB guys could brew us up our commemorative beers. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Having just gotten back from West Virginia, we opted for Torrey over EP but it was fun to make the virtual connection over the web cam.

Looks like you all had a great time. Many thanks to David and Mark and Christine and all the volunteers for the great tradition that EP turned out to be.

A special thanks to all of you for the donation made to the board. thumbsup.gif

One of these is not like the others. Just sayin'

202369328-L.jpg

Sure enough. Shannon doesn't have any glasses! grin.gif (ducking for cover)

...A few rain showers – no reason to stop – until the last one that had me riding amongst lightning which prompted me to pull over for an unneeded gas stop.

Yup, if I were worried I might be hit by lightning, I'd take shelter in a place full of highly flammable liquids, too! grin.gif

OK, OK, you were probably safe as could be. Just struck me funny.

...A few rain showers – no reason to stop – until the last one that had me riding amongst lightning which prompted me to pull over for an unneeded gas stop.
Yup, if I were worried I might be hit by lightning, I'd take shelter in a place full of highly flammable liquids, too! grin.gif

OK, OK, you were probably safe as could be. Just struck me funny.

Well better to strike you funny than to be struck by lightning, right?

And if you knew where I lived you'd wouldn't think it strange of me at all. I live in a very nice little beach community on the Chesapeake Bay, about 400-500 yards away from a LNG holding and shipboard distribution facility and under 4 miles from an active nuclear power plant! But it's alright because I can't actually see either one from my house (though the shipboard loading platform is very visible from the northern beach - and is perhaps why we use the southern facing beach).

Oh sure, if something goes wrong I'm gone in an instant but who wants to marginally survive either of those two catastrophes. It's got to be something like surviving a direct lightning strike. See my point? tongue.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gifbncry.giflmao.gif

Hurray! We finally made it home! clap.gif

Got in about 8:30 Monday night. It was a long ride, a total of just over 2000 miles round trip in the van, and around 350 miles covered on the bike around Dillsboro.

It would have been great to have more time in the area, but work would not allow for that! frown.gif

Barb and I had a great time, even if it was short!

I can't wait for the next event!!

Andy & Barb.

[Oops. Posted this in the wrong thread. Let's try this again. dopeslap.gif]

Sorry I’m late in posting this, but I just now got caught up on the backlog of work that was waiting for me when I got back to the office.

Wow, what a great weekend! Except for the monsoon rains on the way down on Thursday, the rest of the riding was fantastic. The rain was so bad on Thursday, most of my electronic gizmos gave up the ghost after a few hours – including my Kisan SignalMinder, which not only stopped “minding” my turn signals, it shut them off completely, making me resort to bicycle hand signals the rest of the trip. I almost decided to start looking for a hotel early, but I’m glad I didn’t. I would have missed a really nice ride on the BRP on Friday with Mark and Christine. (Thanks again for letting me tag along. Sorry I dropped out early near the end. I think I was still tired from battling the rain the day before.)

Except for Ride Smart a few months ago, this was my first event with this group and I have to admit I was a little hesitant about coming. This is only my third year riding a motorcycle and I had some bad experiences early on with group rides. I’m also a bit burned out on “club” events from too many years in car clubs. But this event definitely changed my views. What a great group of people. Friendly and collegial folks who are also highly skilled riders aren't always easy to find. But that describes literally everyone at this event. Hope it carries on, even if without the “El Paseo” name.

Except for Ride Smart a few months ago, this was my first event with this group and I have to admit I was a little hesitant about coming. This is only my third year riding a motorcycle and I had some bad experiences early on with group rides.

I’m also a bit burned out on “club” events from too many years in car clubs. But this event definitely changed my views. What a great group of people. Friendly and collegial folks who are also highly skilled riders aren't always easy to find. But that describes literally everyone at this event. Hope it carries on, even if without the “El Paseo” name.

Bob, I'm glad you made it down. Hopefully, the next time you are planning a trip, our timing will be a bit better and we can ride down together.

The people in the group you experienced this past weekend are nothing like the people you and I were used to in the car clubs in and around central Indiana. Even the hard-core racers and SCCA guys and gals we ran with/against are a very different breed, as you have found out.

The difference is that if we have something nasty to say about you, we'll just say it to your face! wink.gifgrin.gif

Hope to see you soon!

This is a Ride Tale about the times between the rides. It’s a given by now, that the roads are great, the scenery breathtaking, and this time the weather was, dare I say, perfect?

There have been El Paseo’s that had more riders attend. There have been El Paseo’s where the roads took their toll on the riders, in more ways than one.

As the years have gone by, the roads have become friendlier, the people have become closer, and the skills sharper.

I’m not sure if that is what David had in mind when he first proposed an East Coast soiree, but from my POV, El Paseo has become the highlight of my riding year.

In the past I’ve posted a mixture of people, and scenery. This time I’ll try to put as many faces in the tale as my camera would allow.

This is a story about some brews

DSC00676.jpg

and a man who inspired them

DSC00674.jpg

Big T and Steve/Right Spin, out side the hotel.

DSC00664.jpg

The Usual Suspects; Calvin/NoSocks, Marty/WWMHD,Woodie/AgentOrange, and Richard_D trying not to look like poseurs. Every one of these guys would ride across the country to help you change a flat tire.

DSC00663.jpg

The Video Link to Torrey was a blast. Here Mark is fine tuning the connection.

DSC00679.jpg

Dave, Shawn, Steve Knapp, Mark, Mitch, Bruce, and Tom enjoy the connection to Torrey.

DSC00682.jpg

As an added bonus, the technical aspects of Shawn’s surgery are recorded for posterity.

DSC00691.jpg

Richard, Kristine, and Bill Ferrans discuss the difficulty that fog poses when sitting on Bill’s deck and the view is obscured.

DSC00684.jpg

Sylvia adds a special energy and brings joy to the event. Phil/Itchybro, and Andy/Gamecock are telling tales to anyone who’ll listen.

DSC00669.jpg

Beth supervises the Brats, Kenny and Richard, in the Brat line.

DSC00667.jpg

Marty, ever the gentleman, proposes a toast to...well, just about anything

DSC00677.jpg

Our friends, Bill/bill_c and Kathy made their first BMWST event a memorable one.

DSC00687.jpg

Our new friends, Andy/Handy Andy, and Barbara, made the trip down from Canada.

Since it was the first time in the Smokies for Kathy, Bill, and Barbara, a trip over the Cherohala Skyway and a run through Deal’s Gap were mandatory.

[DSC00693.jpg

As the day wound down, Richard and Sylvia completed negotiations for the new riding jacket

DSC00692.jpg

Shannon and Kristine, tell the ubiquitous Marty the right way to git’er done.

DSC00711.jpg

Jake, Beth, and I celebrate. Sorry Danny, added it later.

DSC00707.jpg

Steve puts the final, and “Right” spin on the evening.

DSC00705.jpg

El Paseo.

There was one person who was at all ten and a handful of us who had been to nine of them.

Riding through snow, rain, sleet, hail, heat, dark of night, fog, on spent tires, with only the thought of fellowship to keep us going.

The roads are superb.

The scenery is fabulous.

The food is first rate.

But it is the fellowship that made El Paseo special.

I’m grateful to Cary for his passion and the vision to share it.

I’m grateful to David, and all the others who picked up the torch and carried it through the years.

I’m grateful for my wife, who shares my interest and became as passionate about the journey as I am.

To arrive at the hotel and see the individuals and groups of old new friends, the stable of old and new rides, the array of old and new riding gear, brought an excitement and sense of joy that grew over the years.

These memories will be cherished, and nurtured, for the rest of my life.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your adventure.

See you down the road.

Best wishes.

Well said Tim! Always great to see you and Beth at these events. Sorry I could not work this one around the FSU gme, but glad to see you had your priorities straight. wink.gif

Arrived today after making a few social stops on the way.

Another fine weekend. I was happy to see several new faces to make up for some of the missing "regulars." It's nice that the group keeps evolving.

Thanks again to Mark, Christine and the Right-Spins for the production work. Also one more thanks to David for getting this going in the first place.

Just wanted to give a warning for anyone who snagged any of the El Paseo beer bottles as a keepsake. Kenny Haynes had one burst in his kitchen and we experienced the same with one of ours (however we were fully clothed grin.gif Kenny will have to explain that one).

It appears the bottles were carbonated a bit too much. Many of us experienced that when opening them at El Paseo.

So if you have one of the full bottles, it is highly recommended that you go ahead and open carefully, pour carefully and drink responsibly so it doesn't go to waste thumbsup.gif

DISCLAIMER:Beer Drinking is dangerous and hazardous by its very nature. It is the sole responsibility of the possessor and drinker of any beer to get proper instruction and to act safely and with caution while drinking beer.

Just wanted to give a warning for anyone who snagged any of the El Paseo beer bottles as a keepsake. Kenny Haynes had one burst in his kitchen and we experienced the same with one of ours (however we were fully clothed grin.gif Kenny will have to explain that one).

It appears the bottles were carbonated a bit too much. Many of us experienced that when opening them at El Paseo.

So if you have one of the full bottles, it is highly recommended that you go ahead and open carefully, pour carefully and drink responsibly so it doesn't go to waste thumbsup.gif

DISCLAIMER:Beer Drinking is dangerous and hazardous by its very nature. It is the sole responsibility of the possessor and drinker of any beer to get proper instruction and to act safely and with caution while drinking beer.

Ahhhhh, El Paseo X (no accidents, no tickets, exploding beer)

You can see the glint in his eyes knowing what lies in wait for the unsuspecting.

201680418-M.jpg

grin.gif

Kenny Haynes

Steve, I thought the same thing about the witch. Here is what happened.

I am just about to doze off on the couch the other night after watching southpark and John Stewart. The dog is at my feet, and we are both trying to gather the strength to get up and go to bed in between head nods of consciousness.

All of the sudden there is a loud pop and a crashing sound, and I am sure someone has just forced their way in to the house, as is the dog. Both of us about cr@p our pants as we leap up and turn toward the kitchen. Rosie is barking like crazy and I am scrambling to find something other than the remote to bash the brains of an intruder. I am pretty intimidating in my underwear holding a remote, but I want to hedge my bet. My eyes come in to focus and I see a sea of golden foam spreading across the top of the kitchen table. A bottle of witches brew I had set there along with a couple of others Sunday evening had exploded at the bottom, the cap still on the bottle neck. Beer was flowing across the table onto some of my maps and the days mail. All the sudden I ain't so sleepy anymore which is good, because I suddenly have some laundry to do ;-) A word to the wise, handle that stuff with care...

I am pretty intimidating in my underwear holding a remote, but I want to hedge my bet.

Dear Moderators,

This is phycological nudity that we've all been exposed to, please spank mr. Haynes. eek.gifeek.gif

blairsvillewitch

Perhaps my finest hour; remote control beer detonation!!

It\'s been a blast, but I\'m retiring with the end of El Paseo. Thanks to all my victims, especially Goob, for being such good sports.

I\'m going to go bother some Harley people.

The Blairsville Witch

Thanks for all the laughs, Witchy. No coming out party?

I sure would love to see those Harley guys faces when they see motolights and GPSs on their Road Kings smile.gif

It\'s been a blast, but I\'m retiring with the end of El Paseo.

Yea OK,like thats really going to happen.. lmao.gif

Thanks for the laughs clap.gif

I am pretty intimidating in my underwear holding a remote, but I want to hedge my bet.

I thought I had read this story somewhere before. My hero clap.gif

204632193-M.jpg

I thought I had read this story somewhere before. My hero clap.gif

204632193-M.jpg

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Kenny Haynes

That's pretty much the look right there. You even got the crick in my neck about right. Enough to make any intruder run away don't you think?

That's pretty much the look right there. You even got the crick in my neck about right. Enough to make any intruder run away don't you think?

Yeah, enough to make them runaway in case you "turned the other cheek!"

MY EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao.giflmao.gif

Archived