IGNORED

Airhead question? Starter...

mrsoup

I know this is not an Airhead forum as such but I don't know where else to post this for some advice.

My 73 R75/5 starter has stopped working. Pushing the switch appears to engage the bendix but the stater does not spin. Engine is free as I can use the kickstarter to turn the engine over. Battery fully charged, lights do not dim when I push the starter buttton.

I have to assume that my starter needs new brushes and maybe the armature cleaned up? The bike has 37k and sits more than it gets ridden.

If I am out of line for this posting, please advise where I should take my woes.

I have the exact same bike. Had problem after problem with the original Bosch starter (hey, it's got 165k on it). Finally installed a new Veleo unit from Euromotoelectric and couldn't be happier.

As far as your problem is concerned there are a couple of areas to check. First would be to verify that pressing the starter button energizes the starter relay. (Under the fuel tank on the left side of the main frame).

If it's working you'll hear it click every time you press the button. That doesn't guarantee the relay contacts are good though. Have you checked that every wire on the starter relay has good contact?

From your post I would suspect that the solenoid on the starter itself might be bad also assuming the starter relay checks out. The only way to inspect that is to remove the starter itself and get familiar with an ohmmeter.

RPG

On the 73 airhead the starter relay is the first thing I would suspect as your problem. I would up grade the relay to the later version. Matt Parkhouse who writes a lot of tech articles for the MOA has a upgrade configuration drawing available. You might check out his articles in the MOA magazine for contact information. The old Bosch starters are easily rebuildable by almost any automotive starter shop. I have had several repaired over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

I pulled my Bosch sarter and brought it to an alternator shop. Bubba bench tested it and found the solenoid to be bad. He pulled one from the shelf and it matched perfectly. I was out the door for $40 and was riding in less than an hour.

Give me a shout if you need to. It does not sound like the relay if it is spinning.

I took advantage of having the starter apart and pushed an entire can of carb cleaner through it. The difference was night and day.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thought is battery. I had the exact problem after not riding for several months. I charged the battery and same thing. Took the battery in to get a new one and the guy said it just needed more charging so he used more than just the trickle charger.

Starts first time every time now.

Rgds, Norm

• 2 weeks later...
louisvillebob

Recommendations:

All older airheads are prone to electrical glitches. Make sure connections are clean and tight. I have spent time and money chasing an electrical problem and replacing stuff needlessly when the problem was a poor connection or corrosion.

Listen for the click of the starter relay when the starter button is pushed. Am not sure where ur particular relay is. I think different years had different locations. Mine is under the tank. Yours may be in the headlight clamshell. A worn relay can click but still not send power to the starter.

Find the hot wire going to the starter bendix. Assure that there is power going to the bendix when the starter button is pressed and the relay clicks.

Hint: The BMW mechanic was not real famililar with old airheads and recommended I have the starter rebuilt or replaced when the problem was actually a worn relay that clicked but didn't actually energize.

Good luck.

Bob

Archived