IGNORED

Its another Tequila Torrey...

azkaisr

I am thinking that this Torrey's Libation should be Tequila. Matt, can you get us Sombrero style shot glasses?

And yes Killer, you can pretend to be Pancho Villa and lead us in the taking over of Bicknell. No doubt Whip aka Quick Draw and his pal Phil "Baba Looey" can be counted on to help out.

07quick.jpg

But you can see here what happened the last time that they tried to do something constructive.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Hey Dudley Do Right!

51SPRNVGHKL._AA240_.jpg

Careful there! I agree with Wiki - LINKY - in that I am the smarter of the two AND I am faithful to a fault so watch it Mister!!!

tongue.giflmao.giftongue.giflmao.giftongue.giflmao.gif

Anybody got some good suggestions on Tequila? I would like to try a traditional, old world style of Tequila. Any suggestions on this type?

Here's an info page on some different Tequila types, etc. - LINKY

This ought to be good . . . as always!!!! thumbsup.giftongue.gif

I gotta call in now on the Tequila to see what I can get. However, I am NOT bringing 18lbs of shot glasses this year. Assuming Killer hasn't turned Greek on us and started throwing them into the fireplace (where IS his fireplace anyway?), I'm guessing he still has one or two hanging around from last year. Now, the batteries may be dead on the LED ones because of their efforts to wake their sleeping owner over this past year, but I've heard rumors that they may still work without the batteries.

No offense, but......

Tequila and all of it's trappings are the main reason that I avoid the Torrey Gatherings.

Having been raised by an alcoholic father has led me to find little humor or bravado in senseless intoxication.

It's a shame that more folks can't figure out a way of enjoying themselves without the use of drugs.

No offense, but......

Tequila and all of it's trappings are the main reason that I avoid the Torrey Gatherings.

Having been raised by an alcoholic father has led me to find little humor or bravado in senseless intoxication.

It's a shame that more folks can't figure out a way of enjoying themselves without the use of drugs.

I can assure you that no offense has been taken by those who understand what Torrey is.

That having been said, you are wrong about what goes on when we get together and have some drinks.

There are no fish bowls at the door, no debauchery that occurs, no drunken stupidity, etc.

Do we share a drink and raise a glass? Absolutely!!!

Torrey is NOT a drink/drunk fest. That is the furthest form the truth there!!

It is about getting up in the morning, riding, eating, and sharing a brotherhood and/or a sisterhood. While sharing this brotherhood and sisterhood, you meet some amazing people and, more than likely, hook up with them for the last part of the day which is to plan the ride for tomorrow.

I can promise you that Mama Hoon (the proprietor of this fine site)and her hubby have been very worried about this being portrayed as a drunk fest. Many of us board members have felt the same and, as such, are very cognizant of what we do as individuals that impacts the group as a whole.

When we get together as this post portrays, it is to try something in a social setting that we may not otherwise try. It is the same thing as what my wife and I do every month with our friends here at home. We have a gourmet cooking night where each of 3 or 4 couples makes some not so common food and bring it to share for the purpose of broadening ones knowledge.

Do not avoid Torrey based on your past. BE at Torrey for what it could mean for your future. That future holds a life time of friendships, fond memories, bitter sweet sorrows for lost brethren, and opened gateways to unseen possibilities through this wonderful pasttime of motorcycling.

Do not let your past dictate your future. Almost every single person I have ever come in contact with through this forum has a key to my house door if they pass through our area. A hot meal, a shower, a bed. Do some of them drink? Yes. Some of them like sheep as well!!!! eek.gif Others eat food that would burn the lining out of my mouth, it is that spicy!!!! bncry.gif

I can assure you that if there was someone who "went too far", they wouldn't as they would not get the chance too!!!

I do not think I am going out on a limb here by saying that we understand and respoect you as an individual and will accomodate those feelings.

SHOW UP!!!! I guarantee you will realize that what I have posted is but a mere glimpse into what you are missing!!!

Also a shame that people have to force themselves and their opinions on others.

I don't drink (one shot and one beer in my total BMWST.com experience) and I have a blast when I am there. Who cares if someone gets a little wild, tipsy, drunk , or whatever. They are in a safe place with an awesome group of people in a beautiful place.

No offense, but......

Wow! What a sad/wrong/warped idea of what torrey is all about. No offence taken, but I do feel sorry for you...I think.

I've been to Torrey once. Having moved to North Carolina I suffer knowing I can't make it back to southern Utah as often as I wish. I love this red rock country and the incredible roads that open up the country to me. My fondest desire is to take my 06 1200 RT and ride across country and visit this spectacular country.

Having a father who was a clinical psychologist, he was of the opinion that taking a drink or two led you to alcoholism. I won't share with you my feelings about how wrong I felt that mindset was, but I do know that when my mother passed away he married a women who liked wine and enjoyed the socialization that went with it. Miraculously, my father never commented on what wine would do to you from that point on and even imbibed and enjoyed the occasional dinner wine.

My comments are directed towards those that have a predispostion towards alcoholism. I've known many people who are "heavy drinkers" and could walk away for significant periods of time and not drink. I've seen others who seem to need alcohol and all the attendant ramifications of heavy drinking. I don't want to get into your reason for discussing your father's alcoholism and its negative affects other then to say there are many who imbibe and enjoy the taste of alcohol and (yes, the buzz) and know their limits. There are others who recognize a predisposition to alcoholism and shun it. If you're one of them, deal with it accordingly, but don't project your problems on other drinkers. They may not have the problems you think are inherent in drinking alcohol.

Bruce

No offense, but......

Well that is just not in the spirt of My Torrey visits.

No Cigar for you... You stay home and miss all the fun...

Where else can a guy share a glass of good Borubon with great friends and talk motor cycles.

Don't tell anybody but we don't drink before we ride tongue.gif

Sine we are getting so serious about this, Joe Nichols has a country song that raises another important tequila related issue:

She said, "I'm goin out with my girlfriends..Margaritas at the Holiday Inn." Lord have mercy, my only thought, was tequila

makes her clothes fall off.

I told her put an extra layer on, I know what happens when she drink Patron. Her closets missing half the things she bought,

yeah tequila makes her clothes fall off.

She'll start by kicking outta her shoes, lose an earring in her drink. Leave her jacket in the bathroom stall, drop a

contact down the sink.

Them panty-hose ain't gonna last to long, if the DJ puts BonJovi on. She might come home in a table cloth, yeah tequila

makes her clothes fall off. (Whoa-Ho)

She can handle any champaigne brunch, a bridal shower with bacardi punch, jello shooters full of smirnoff, but tequila makes

her clothes fall off.

She'll start by kicking outta her shoes, lose an earring in her drink. Leave her jacket in the bathroom stall, drop a

contact down the sink.

She don't mean nothing, she's just having fun, tomorrow she'll say, "Oh what have I done?" Her friends will joke about the

stuff she lost, yeah tequila makes her clothes fall off, oh tequila makes her clothes off..Oh tequila makes her clothes fall

off

No offense, but......

You better stay home then amigo...those trappings are what get me every time.

wink.gif

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

No offense, but......
No offense taken. Most of us here realize that to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

You couldn't be more wrong in your impressions of Torrey.

No offense, but......

lmao.gif

Well, I pretty much agree with the bulk of the Torrey defenders, but there are three or four people who are regularly drunk every time I've seen them at an event. And I'd guess that I've been to 50 events over the years. That's just the truth, and there's no point in sugar coating it.

But as a whole, Torrey gathers sober and very nice people. (The drunks are pretty nice, too.) I don't drink much (maybe 1 or 2 beers a month, and perhaps 8 or 10 glasses of wine), but I've never been bothered by the alcohol usage at a BMWST event. As a whole they strike me as very responsible. thumbsup.gif

Well, I pretty much agree with the bulk of the Torrey defenders, but there are three or four people who are regularly drunk every time I've seen them at an event. And I'd guess that I've been to 50 events over the years. That's just the truth, and there's no point in sugar coating it.

But as a whole, Torrey gathers sober and very nice people. (The drunks are pretty nice, too.) I don't drink much (maybe 1 or 2 beers a month, and perhaps 8 or 10 glasses of wine), but I've never been bothered by the alcohol usage at a BMWST event. As a whole they strike me as very responsible. thumbsup.gif

Yep. I'd agree with that (Except you're a lust compared to me. grin.gif ).

onmyrt: Is it drinking in general that you have a problem with, or have you crafted a picture of 150 overweight middle-aged guys stumbling around slobbering drunk like a bunch of Delta Tau Chi frat brothers on double-secret probation?

If it is the former, then I can't help you. Some of us drink sometimes. If it is the latter, then I can assure you that your imagination does not match reality at all in this case.

OK

Taking this thread back on tangent from the Temperance League..

patronanejo2%5B1%5D.gif

This will be in my saddle bag I think...unless I get really crazy

HussongsAnejo.jpg

Then I am bringing this.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Well, I pretty much agree with the bulk of the Torrey defenders, but there are three or four people who are regularly drunk every time I've seen them at an event.
At least I'm a happy drunk wave.gif
No offense, but......

Well as a recovering alki and a friend of Bill W's, I also felt gunshy about showing up to these gatherings and almost missed one of the most REAl group of people on this planet, turns out they are social drinkers, many don't drink at all and i've met some who know of Bill W., best of all we ride, eat,ride sleep ride repeat.......... In

OK

patronanejo2%5B1%5D.gif

HussongsAnejo.jpg

Then I am bringing this.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

So is this shots only? Not for me then. Me I like this (but one is enough for me):

2 oz. Herradura Reposado Tequila,

2 oz Lime Juice, freshly squeezed

1 oz. Cointreau,

Blue Curacao,

Combine all but the Blue Curacao in a shaker half-filled with ice. Shake well. Strain into green salt rimmed martini glass. Pour some Blue Curacao into the center of the glass.

Jan

Dennis Andress
No offense, but......

I'm torn between writing a witting reply or cleaning the bathroom. Honestly, I believe I'll do better at cleaning over writing tonight. But sir, it appears to me that you are allowing your life's experiences to prejudge the people who attend Torrey. Please consider that Laney and I like these people so much we have chosen to get married at Torrey next week. Perhaps if you took a good look at your horizon you could find a way to broaden it and still keep within your personal limits. I hope you try.

Dennis

P.S. Somebody better brings a bunch of limes, they can be hard to find in Torrey.....

Delta Tau Chi frat

Thats $4.50 at Starbucks lmao.gif

The only thing that is really abused during the Torrey weekend is the pavement (and Wurty sheep jokes) thumbsup.gif

OK

patronanejo2%5B1%5D.gif

HussongsAnejo.jpg

Then I am bringing this.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

So is this shots only? Not for me then. Me I like this (but one is enough for me):

2 oz. Herradura Reposado Tequila,

2 oz Lime Juice, freshly squeezed

1 oz. Cointreau,

Blue Curacao,

Combine all but the Blue Curacao in a shaker half-filled with ice. Shake well. Strain into green salt rimmed martini glass. Pour some Blue Curacao into the center of the glass.

Jan

That sounds good.

And no it isn't just shots.

No offense, but......

Too bad, hate to see you miss it. I've had a great time at every Torrey. The last one, I bought 2 bottles of tequila and 12 cigars.

The 5500 miles and 11 days kinda went like this. Get up ride for a while have a nice breakfast, ride some more, have a nice dinner, set up camp,

have a couple shots and a cigar and hit the hay after a great 500 mile day, get up and repeat. grin.gif

Torrey is not a drunk fest, lots and lots of riding, on spectacular roads with spectacular views. Getting the privilege to hang out and BS with some really nice folks from all over. And at the end of the day have a bit of a night cap with some folks laughing at yourself and the antics from the day.

That's the Torrey I know, can't wait.

Sorry your gonna miss it wave.gif

Well as a recovering alki and a friend of Bill W's, I also felt gunshy about showing up to these gatherings and almost missed one of the most REAl group of people on this planet, turns out they are social drinkers, many don't drink at all and i've met some who know of Bill W., best of all we ride, eat,ride sleep ride repeat.......... In

Why, thanks, Tank! I'm a friend of yours, too! grin.gif

OK, sorry, I can never resist these. I know, I'm just A Bill W., not THE Bill W. At least where alcoholism is being discussed. wink.gif

In case there's ever any confusion, here's one way to differentiate: I'm the Bill W. who's not a teetotaler.

Well, yeah, in the two Torrey's (Torries?) I've attended, I've been a non-participating enabler. Aka: I've brought alcohol (perhaps the only "legal" stuff there since it didn't cross state lines) because I can get it for free and yet I don't drink. Never have. Never will.

So, as a stone cold sober witness, the Torrey events I've attended I haven't seen any "abuse" of alcohol (unless you call Whip stealing my bottle of bourbon - out of Tom's room as a joke on Tom - abuse).

I'm sure people ride their motorcycles all the time after drinking... just not at any bmwst.com event I've attended.

I'm not going to tell you to "get over it," because I have no idea what life experiences you went through. However, you do have the wrong impression of this event, and I'm sure some of the things you've gone through will taint your impressions.

I don't want to trivialize it either, but there's no better way to say this: Yeah, there is a lot of talk of alcohol (which is legal I might add - even in Utah), but remember, there is a lot of talk about Wurty and sheep. If you applied the same logic, you'd think we all sat around watching Wurty get it on with an inflatable pig covered with a sheepskin for hours on end. However, that part of the event took maybe, what, 2 minutes? Yet there are more pictures and talk of that than any of the riding we did. (Oh, and BTW I'm not so sure that would have been legal...)

Just the way it goes I guess...

P.S. Somebody better brings a bunch of limes, they can be hard to find in Torrey.....

Bullett and I can bring limes. We'll be in Friday afternoon. Riding with Andy (hindsight) and Debi. Anyone else leaving or passing through SLC Friday morning?

Jan

No offense, but......

Well....... It looks like a response to my own reply may be in order here.

To begin with, realize that my original reply (above) to this thread was quite near the top of the post,

and at that point it did appear to be indicating that a 'drink/drunk fest' was in order.

So, my reply was mostly intended as a hint that there must be more to Torrey than Tequila. crazy.gif

Having said that, I in no way meant to imply that that's all Torrey is about and I sincerely apologize to anyone that assumed that.

I've read too many posts from people describing how touched they were by Torrey to realize that it must in fact be a very special event.

An event that could easily be spoiled or even destroyed by the irresponsible overuse of alcohol.

I've seen it happen too many times and I'd hate for Torrey to become a victim.

Though I've been to Torrey and enjoyed the awesome roads that surround it, I've never timed it to coincide with a 'Torrey Gathering',

but I hope to someday.

Til then, I hope that everyone will continue to ride (and drink) responsibly!

Really hope you do make it Michael. And don't sweat the post thing. It happens

Tom

Thanks Tom thumbsup.gif

This post is a prime example of what makes this place so great. thumbsup.gif

I'd just like to chime in with some history here for the benefit of newbies reading this thread and wondering "WTF"? confused.gif

One of the neat things about this group is its diversity, generosity, overriding humanity, and especially its perspicacity. The whole Torrey/alcohol tasting thing started as an idea by one or more members to share what they'd learned about the vastly different varieties of fine Whisk(e)y. I know Sammy was involved in the first one, but I don't know if others are to credit as well. As I recall it, Sammy was a Whiskey connoisseur and had also recently gone back to the Auld Sod, toured distilleries there, and generally learned a lot more about Whisk(e)y (like how to spell it! wink.gif ). He had also brought a few (expensive) bottles back home to complete his collection. He put out an invitation for Torrey riders to attend a "Whiskey tasting" for a per head charge and participants got to try a dozen or more very different kinds of Whiskey and learn an awful lot about it. It was a wonderful opportunity for fans of that sort of thing, but it was a one-time side-light of that Torrey and in no way the focus of the event.

Afterwards though, others took up the idea and, especially those who were not fans of Whiskey, thought it'd be fun to try this idea for other sorts of drinks (like rum, for instance). Not many of us are going to go to the local liquor store and buy 12 different bottles of rum to take home and try out on our own. This is how the concept started to grow, but as stated by many already: most of the bravado and build-up here is more harmless fun than alluding to some depraved debauchery that happens every Torrey.

Also, in most of the pics of people laughing their asses off and seemingly reveling in some sort of Bacchanalian Orgy at a "tasting"--many are stone cold sober--they're all just laughing their asses off because there are some really very funny and crazy folks here who love having a good time at Torrey with their riding family. We have many friends of Bill W. here but we ALL understand that different people are in very different places with respect to certain indulgences. It's one of the draws of this diverse community--while many of us generally may have discriminating tastes (except for Richard . . . and Wurty, I suppose . . . lmao.gif ), as a group we never discriminate against good people. If you like to ride and you're a halfway decent human being you're in--no other acid tests are required--hell, we've even made exceptions to the "halfway decent human being" part in a few cases (who shall remain nameless, of course! grin.gif ).

As you've seen from the responses of a few of the many non-drinkers who populate this board (as well as the understandable defensiveness of some of the "party animals"), indulging or refraining doesn't cause any friction at our events and there is never any peer pressure to compromise one's principles. Torrey is about "Sharing the Love", and there's no place for judgment in that setting. To put it in perspective, if I had to guess I'd say that a good percentage are drinking soda or water, the other half are just enjoying the Gemütlichkeit (just sampling a bit or drinking that "making love in a canoe" stuff that we Ahmurricans pass off as "beer") and only a few I would guess are over the legal limit. And NONE in the latter category gets on a bike afterwards ( . . . at least none that I find out about! smirk.gif ). A few of the teetotalers always generously offer designated driving services for those for whom the walk is a bit too far (or a bit too . . . uneven! wink.gif ) and AFAIK we've always had a fun time without any "issues" or "incidents".

Personally, while I enjoy wine tastings and I did enjoy the rum tasting (I do enjoy a Bit o' the Captain in my Cuba Libre's on occasion), I still don't care for beer and I learned that I really don't care for even very good Whiskey (or most of the "hard stuff", really). Tequilla and I generally don't get along well either--though the really good stuff like will be present here is the exception: "This CAN'T be Tequilla . . . where's the nasty afterbite and the hangover the next day??" confused.giflmao.gif

I just don't think I'll partake of the Tequilla--and if ANY of us choose not to, not only will it not affect our acceptance or enjoyment of the evening, I don't expect to get any grief from the "peanut gallery" either . . . well at least not for NOT tipping back a few shooters with the gang! thumbsup.gif

[/sermon] smile.gif

As you've seen from the responses of a few of the many non-drinkers who populate this board (as well as the understandable defensiveness of some of the "party animals"),

Curious, I've seen no defensivness by anyone. Several of us didn't thank him for his post/perhaps that what you refer to.

I’ve dealt with the drunks and drug abusers for the past 16 years of my current career and I don’t see a correlation with this event.

I find your post rather sad and extremely childish. Sorry, I am not as PC as others here. I really don't think you would have fun at Torrey. There are way too many folks there who just enjoy life and are living in the now.

An event that could easily be spoiled or even destroyed by the irresponsible overuse of alcohol.

I've seen it happen too many times and I'd hate for Torrey to become a victim.

Good God.....

Any event in the world could be ruined by any number of things. I'm not going to stay home because I've seen murders and motorcycle crashes.

I've seen threads ruined from over-pontification, yet I am still here. grin.gif

I know Sammy was involved in the first one, but I don't know if others are to credit as well.

That was an official "sit down at a table with a zillion different kinds of hooch tasting it".

Long before that (and every time since then), it's just been people bringing whatever their favorite libation is, and sharing it. Dick Frantz passes around the mason jar of Bourbon, Denny and Laney always seem to have some good Tequilla, Al Schibi's wife brought that combination butterscotch rum/rocket fuel. People bring whatever they like to drink, and share it with whoever wants a taste.

I know Sammy was involved in the first one, but I don't know if others are to credit as well.

That was an official "sit down at a table with a zillion different kinds of hooch tasting it".

Long before that (and every time since then), it's just been people bringing whatever their favorite libation is, and sharing it. Dick Frantz passes around the mason jar of Bourbon, Denny and Laney always seem to have some good Tequilla, Al Schibi's wife brought that combination butterscotch rum/rocket fuel. People bring whatever they like to drink, and share it with whoever wants a taste.

See me or 1bmwfan for some Scotch......and Mr Olson never fails to surprise me with somethin special.

Whip

See me or 1bmwfan for some Scotch......and Mr Olson never fails to surprise me with somethin special.

Whip

I will have Oban ready to go for the early arrivers! Also a tequila yet to be named. tongue.gifthumbsup.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Tom, I won't make it out again till spring.... bncry.gif

I'm the first one to sign up for Torrey XV... clap.gif

Leave the leftover Tequila with Killer... I'll have a week before anyone arrives next spring, to savor the remnants... grin.gif

Meanwhile, I will have a "taste" at the east coast gathering "El Paseo"....I'll raise my snifter toward the west and offer a toast to my friends at Torrey ....

I'll be testing tasty Tequlia in Absentia....

James...

just make sure the bakery is in operation and those great sweet rolls are ready for me.

After a nite of wiskey sippin we will need fresh baked rolls... tongue.gifgrin.gif

Archived