IGNORED

Fasterpill's Fabulous Flat

Fasterpill

In typical fashion when riding with my Uncle George, I had a flat tire in the middle of Redneck country. We rode with a group for several fun miles, including a little tussle with a Fawn about 3 feet from me at the top of a mountain. I tried to shoo him off into the woods. No time for a picture at that point.

This was just a couple miles later:

WVTrip1.jpg

I was riding along a bit later at about 40 mph when my bike started fishtailing mildly. Then it started making noise. I thought maybe my final drive was "failuring" so I pulled over. Next thing you know I'm surrounded by a buzz of beemers and helpful folks from this community. They loaded up the nearest gravel driveway entrance (it was about a half mile long) to get their bikes out of the way. Some proceeded to guide traffic around us, a couple guys were offering me their portable compressors, and someone offered to patch my tyre with his kit. I was much obliged, as they would say locally. What a great community! All I needed to do at that point was take pictures:

WVTireChange1.jpg

WVTireChange2.jpg

Next thing you know the local neighbor pulls into the DITCH to go AROUND those city boys in his driveway. Oh oh, he's having WORDS with one of the guys who nicely explains my predicament. 5 minutes later here he comes back in his blue duct taped pickup barrelling aross the grass field and hands me an air tank with 42psi in it! I love this country. A spritz in the repaired tyre and next thing you know I'm getting my picture taken with this guy. I don't know wether I should put my arm around him or not - awkward! - but I appreciated his sudden change of hospitality that much. I wish I had his address as he wanted a copy of the picture. Someone PLEEASE post that pic - it wasn't my camera.

Everyone went on their way and George and I headded back to the Quality inn to peel off my wheel, toss it in his van, and take it to Bub's Cycle Center for replacement. It's located in Crab Orchard where a fellow Viet Nam vet of George's is from. Those folks were great. Since I was travelling on the bike they dropped what they were doing and got-r-done! We were paying the bill in a half an hour. There's a 48 chief in there on display as the shop started out in 1946 as an Indian dealer. I spoke with the gal, Cheryl, that managed the place and next thing you know she's taking me to the storage room and pulling covers off a dozen or so antique bikes they've been collecting over the years. Turned out to be a really nice diversion after all. The mechanic said the nail was a 16 penny spike and was so long it was in at an angle. Wierd.

The rest of my Un trip was uneventful. Here's some more trip pics.

A roadside stop with TomK:

WVRoadsideStop.jpg

A butterfly at another road stop in WV or VA:

WVButterfly.jpg

The Woodster having an avatar moment:

Woodyatpalisades.jpg

Riffraff at the Quality Inn:

QualityInn.jpg

An out-of-the-way WV viewpoint:

WVLake.jpg

On the trip home, Woody and I stayed at my parent's house. They're great hosts and long time motorcycle people. Here's some shots of my dad's garage:

The 46 Harley Servicar is in the background.

DadsGarage.jpg

The 67 Hog he bought new:

67Harley.jpg

The 42(?) army scout 500cc

42Indian.jpg

Woody and I ready to roll north:

Woodynme.jpg

Please add your tire pics if you can, thanks.

Phil, I stopped at the same place the day before, (putting down a few 16penny nails for you wink.gif) when I met this guy there, Davey Jones

192747857-M.jpg

He told me that to look across the river at the VW bus on an island.

I meant to take a photo but forgot, but you did thumbsup.gif its just behind the young lady's head slightly to the left.

Davey told me they floated it across and built a wooden veranda in front.

WVTrip1.jpg

Phil, I stopped at the same place the day before, (putting down a few 16penny nails for you ) when I met this guy there, Davey Jones

lmao.giflmao.gif

Davey Jones! grin.gif Is that his locker they built around that bus on the island? Glad he got my tire and not me.

Woody, thanks for posting the pic of my folks. I was kinda ashamed I didn't take one myself. crazy.gif

Phil, I stopped at the same place the day before...when I met this guy there, Davey Jones

192747857-M.jpg

Geeez, he doesn't look any older, but he sure let himself go.

924787-DavyJones.jpg

Archived