IGNORED

Your Favorite Colorado Roads and Passes

tobyzusa

I've used the search feature and have consolidated some good route advice from the Board. But, I seem to recall a past thread with excellent Colorado route information and that I have not found. Sooooooo...... if you have a link to that thread, please post. If not, can I ask for your help in identifying your favorite Colorado roads, routes, and passes? Thanks a bunch.

I've used the search feature and have consolidated some good route advice from the Board. But, I seem to recall a past thread with excellent Colorado route information and that I have not found. Sooooooo...... if you have a link to that thread, please post. If not, can I ask for your help in identifying your favorite Colorado roads, routes, and passes? Thanks a bunch.
The COG has some nice information...

See here.

Mike O

Hey Brad

Independence Pass(82 south of Aspen) is one of my Favorites.....This time of year the aspens are changin and it's beautiful.

Red Mountain(550 between Ouray and Silverton) has the rolloer coaster, no guard rail narrrow road effect that's hard to beat.

Black Canyon (92 south of Crawford) is amazing.....no mountain pass but extreme twistyness and lots of blind corners.

Lizard Head Pass (145 between Rico and Telluride) is nice because of the views......and the road is good too!!!

I'm sure there are many others

I have never been on 149 between South Fork and Gunnison.....I hear it very nice.

Whip

Good info from both Mike O and Whip. I haven't ridden all of those, but CO 92 from Gunnison to Hotchkiss is at or near the top of my list, as is US 550 south of Ouray. I also like CO 131 from Wolcott to Steamboat Springs, which isn't on the COG list.

I've ridden CO 14 so much I almost take it for granted, but it is a fine ride if you can ride it on a weekday. And if you're considering a route that might take you from the Poudre Canyon to the Estes Park, I gotta recommend Larimer County Road 27 between CO 14 and US 34. After a short jaunt west on US 34 to Drake, take Larimer County Road 43 into Estes Park. Nice twisty 2-lane with much less traffic than other routes.

Along the northern Front Range, we've got several canyons with nice roads (Poudre, Buckhorn, Big Thompson, St. Vrain, Lefthand, Boulder, Golden Gate, Clear Creek) that you can string together and really wear down the outsides of your tires.

[Whipping out the CO map at work ;-)]

Hwy 149 is excellent from South Fork to Gunnison (Re: Whip). I plan on doing a Fall ride there in a couple of weeks to take in the aspens!

Hwy 114 from Saguage to Gunnison is a fine, fun road.

I really like Hwy 115/Hwy 50 from Colorado Springs to Salida around 9am on Sunday mornings. No traffic and gets me to Gunnison quick thumbsup.gif

Finally, Hwy 17 from Antonito to Chama, NM, is a hoot. The narrow gauge runs until snowfall and the road is twisty-turny.

later,

jan

I haven't done them all yet but I don't think there are any bad ones. Even Independece to Aspen is good.

Maybe the dirt passes wouldn't be fun on the RTP but great on a GS. wave.gif

[Whipping out the CO map at work ;-)]

Hwy 149 is excellent from South Fork to Gunnison (Re: Whip). I plan on doing a Fall ride there in a couple of weeks to take in the aspens!

Hwy 114 from Saguage to Gunnison is a fine, fun road.

I really like Hwy 115/Hwy 50 from Colorado Springs to Salida around 9am on Sunday mornings. No traffic and gets me to Gunnison quick thumbsup.gif

Finally, Hwy 17 from Antonito to Chama, NM, is a hoot. The narrow gauge runs until snowfall and the road is twisty-turny.

later,

jan

Hey Jan...!!

I had forgotten Hwy 17 from Antonito to Chama. That is a blast and one of my favorites West of the Taos area. Now I'm gonna have to head that way again.

Mike O

Dirt passes I've done on my R1100RT:

- Kebler Pass

- Ohio Pass

- Paradise Divide (on route to)

- Schofield Pass

Will do someday:

- Cottonwood Pass (not sure where the paving ends)

- Cumberland Pass

- Black Sage Pass

- Marshall Pass

Toughest thing about doing to Pass Bagger 50 award is keeping track of all the pics over the years!

later,

jan

Dang this thread is makin me drool !!! lurker.gif

Me too, and I should get an opportunity to scratch that itch! Right now I'm plotting all of these suggestions and then seeing realistically how I can string them together into several days worth of routes. Thanks to all for the terrific suggestions.

Well, before my last trip to Grand Junction, someone recommended 139 and 141. I never got to ride 141 (stupid work kept getting in the way), but I really liked 139 between Rangely and Loma (aka Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Hwy).

gjroad.jpg

gjroad2.jpg

Well it has been 11 years and I still remember some great roads on my trip to Denver and back.

Hwy 62 between Placerville and Ridgway. Also Rt. 145 to Telluride.

Rt. 133 from Hotchkiss to Carbondale

Rt. 550 from Ridgway to Durango

Rt. 285 was nice once you got out of Denver.

Rt. 50 from Salida to Montrose

• 3 months later...

+1 on CO 139, Douglas Pass

Also: CO 65 from Cedaredge to I-70.

CO 14 from Walden to Ft. Collins

US 34 from Loveland to Estes Park.

CO7 CO72 from Estes Park to Nederland.

US50 and CO92 from Gunnison to Hotchkiss.

Archived