Another brake failure

LanceJFerraro

LanceJFerraro

I was riding around on my 95 R1100GS three months ago and all was fine. At one point as I approached home I put on the brakes and the rear was on some sand so the ABS activated. I used the brakes a couple more times before parking in the garage. Went in for dinner and came out for a ride and no rear brake, NO resistance whatsoever. Hmmm. Sat on the porch and read a book instead. Next morning full brakes, no evidence of leakage anywhere, resivuoir full. Changed fluid and pads, which I was going to do anyway. No bad things since.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a valve in that ABS unit that may have stuck open?

Seems to me I used to be able to modulate my own brakes just fine in the 'old days.' If this ABS craps out I'll take it off and have hoses made to bridge the gap.

No resistance as in the pedal went all the way down, or no resistance as in the pedal felt normal but would not apply the rear brake?

LanceJFerraro

The first, no resistance as in no pressure developed, the pedal traveled full stroke with no pressure felt. It was just as if the brake line was detached.

Archived