IGNORED

Corbin for R1200ST?

jaytee

Hey!

I am going to have to get a seat and for me I like Corbin's particular brand of concrete seats (i.e. rock hard!).

I have seen everyone talk about that semi-incestuous world of northern california seat manufacturers, but has anyone used Corbin for their R1200ST?

Corbin does nto have an off-the-shelf model for the ST, so it would have to be a ride-in custom fitting done on the stock seat-pan. I know they will do it since I called them, but has anyone actually tried it?

Any reason not to do this? I mean, I am a half a day from Hollister if I ride fast, and they will have it done in half a day the following day, plus its a nice excuse to visit Santa Cruz, Big Sur and points along the 1 headding back south! smile.gif

JT

Well, some people really like Corbins, but most people around here tend to like other custom seat manufacturers better. I went with Rich's in Seattle (as did bmurphywa). Mike went with Rick Mayer in N. Cali (as have a couple of r12st riders.)

In your shoes, I'd probably head up to Bill Mayer or to his brother Rick's if you really want to head up to N. CA. It's not that Corbin makes a bad seat per se, it's just that the consensus around here seems to be that others do better. But if you really like Corbin's, well, by all means, go for it.

In your shoes, I'd probably head up to Bill Mayer or to his brother Rick's...

It's not that Corbin makes a bad seat per se, it's just that the consensus around here seems to be that others do better.

Well, I am generally not a fan of softer seating as it tends to give me butt-burn after a while. The best luck I have had so far was on the rock-hard Corbin's, of which I have had five seats, 4 were off-the-shelf, and one was custom-cut to my butt on a ride in.

About the Mayers.... Whats the deal? The yboth make seats that are supposedly designed by their late-great father, but they seem to be competing for the same marketshare???

What's the difference in their seats? Differnt foam? Different leather?

The Elder brother is only 2 1/2-3hrs away from me so I could conceivably one-day that. Otherwise,if I like hard foam why would I go with one brother over the other?

JT

Davitt_Potter
It's not that Corbin makes a bad seat per se,

Yes. Yes it is. That worthless piece of black steel that impersonated a seat is the primary reason I sold my beloved R1150RT and have regretted it ever since.

It couldn't have been my rash decision.

Damn you, Corbin! Damn you!

:P

Seriously, after checking out the Corbin, the factory seat, a Russell during the recent rally, and a screw-embedded 2x4 wrapped in razor wire, the Corbin would only be the choice if I couldn't fit the 2x4 on the bike.

Seriously, after checking out the Corbin, the factory seat, a Russell during the recent rally, and a screw-embedded 2x4 wrapped in razor wire, the Corbin would only be the choice if I couldn't fit the 2x4 on the bike.

come on!

Tell us how you REALLY feel!

lurker.gif

It really sucks that none of the seat manufacturers like Corbin or Sargent are making seats for the ST that you can just order. I'm not willing to take a chance that I'll like their custom job enough to let them hack up my stock seat.

Funny, they are all doing seats for the R1200S and I doubt BMW is selling near as many of those as STs have sold.

The Russell seats may be comfy, but they are just plain butt ugly for the sleek lines of the ST. lmao.gif

Jim VonBaden
In your shoes, I'd probably head up to Bill Mayer or to his brother Rick's...

It's not that Corbin makes a bad seat per se, it's just that the consensus around here seems to be that others do better.

Well, I am generally not a fan of softer seating as it tends to give me butt-burn after a while. The best luck I have had so far was on the rock-hard Corbin's, of which I have had five seats, 4 were off-the-shelf, and one was custom-cut to my butt on a ride in.

About the Mayers.... Whats the deal? The yboth make seats that are supposedly designed by their late-great father, but they seem to be competing for the same marketshare???

What's the difference in their seats? Differnt foam? Different leather?

The Elder brother is only 2 1/2-3hrs away from me so I could conceivably one-day that. Otherwise,if I like hard foam why would I go with one brother over the other?

JT

I loved the Corbins on my R1100RS, R1100GS and KLR, but when I put one on my R1200GS, it just didn't do it for me.

I agree that firmer is usually better, and Rick Mayer is making me one as we speak.

As for Corbin or Sargent making a seat for the ST, there just isn't enough to justify their costs for designing and building a custom seat pan. Wounderlich makes one though!

Jim cool.gif

As for Corbin or Sargent making a seat for the ST, there just isn't enough to justify their costs for designing and building a custom seat pan. Wounderlich makes one though!
I had one of the Wunderlich ones ordered from BMW of Santa Cruz when they were first announced back in July/August of last year. They called me in Feb/Mar of this year to let me know that they weren't going to be available (at least in the USA) at all.

FWIW, I've found my seat from Rich's to be rather firm. He also puts a gel pad in it. It's not mushy by any means.

Archived