IGNORED

What is that FD Test?

OlGeezer

I would check the FD pivot bearings.
Actually it's usually not the FD pivot bearings that start to show play, but the swing arm pair further forward at the transmission to swing arm point.
Joe Frickin' Friday
I would check the FD pivot bearings.
Actually it's usually not the FD pivot bearings that start to show play, but the swing arm pair further forward at the transmission to swing arm point.

confused.gif I've almost never heard of them crapping out; quite the contrary, in my experience, it usually is the FD pivot bearings.

In any event, here's the whole "shakedown" test series. Before starting, put the bike on the centerstand and remove the sidecases to get the rear wheel up in the air.

1. Grab the swingarm just forward of the final drive boot and shake vigorously, left/right and up/down.

• If you've got a rattle, there's a problem with the pivot bearings at the front of the swingarm, where it joins the transmission. Repair when convenient.
  • If not, proceed to step 2.

2. Grab the final drive (not the wheel, not the brake rotor) at its rear edge and wiggle left to right, then grab at top and at bottom and twist it.

• If you've got a rattle, there's a problem with the pivot bearings at the front of the final drive, where it joins the swingarm. Repair when convenient.
  • If not, proceed to step 3.

3. With gearbox in neutral, grab rear wheel at top and bottom and twist laterally. Then grab wheel at front and rear and twist laterally.

• If you've got a rattle, there's a problem with the wheel bearings. DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE UNTIL THIS GETS REPAIRED.
  • If not, all's well. thumbsup.gif

It's important to go through the sequence in order; if you skip straight to step three and have a rattle, you won't know where the problem is without having first done steps one and two.

1. No rattle.

2. No rattle.

3. Rattle, particularly when hands are at the 3 and 9 position.

Thanks, Mitch.

In that case, I would drain and inspect your final drive oil for color and metal shavings. Personaly, I would just go ahead and crack open the final drive and inspect the crown bearing. If it is failing, you will most likely see the metal carrier for the ball bearings starting to deteriorate, and/or pit marks on the ball bearings themselves. FYI.......I just had my final drive rebulit (both bearings and reshimmed) at my local dealer for $425. It was about $180 in parts and 3.6 hours of labor. Best of luck, let us know what you find out

Archived