IGNORED

Isn't my bike supposed to be ready ?

jbim

Two weeks ago I scheduled an appointment at my BMW dealer for the 10000 kms service on my 2006 GS. I took my bike in the night before. When I showed up at 5PM, the bike was not ready. Actually, it was just getting mounted on the maintenance stand. They tried to call me but didn't reach me. Obviously, I was po'ed but didn't show it. Is it me who has unrealistic expectations? Wasn't my bike supposed to be ready. Why do we schedule appointments if not? Is this what I should expect from my dealer?

Thanks for any feedback.

Two weeks ago I scheduled an appointment at my BMW dealer for the 10000 kms service on my 2006 GS. I took my bike in the night before. When I showed up at 5PM, the bike was not ready. Actually, it was just getting mounted on the maintenance stand. They tried to call me but didn't reach me. Obviously, I was po'ed but didn't show it. Is it me who has unrealistic expectations? Wasn't my bike supposed to be ready. Why do we schedule appointments if not? Is this what I should expect from my dealer?

Thanks for any feedback.

It should have been ready . But did they give an explanation . Like did an employee call off or did they run into other problems . Things sometimes happen beyond there control . If it was just a case of they over booked or they pushed someone else in in front of yours then I would be pissed . Dave

......Is it me who has unrealistic expectations? Wasn't my bike supposed to be ready. Why do we schedule appointments if not? Is this what I should expect from my dealer?

Thanks for any feedback.

I feel they should have had your bike ready on time. However there are all kinds of reasons that might not happen.

The bike from yesterday is still on the stand because it's not finished for any number of reasons? Gotta try to finish the one you've started befor you start on the next one.

A mechanic had an attendence issue today?

A touring rider on the road needed new tires and the dealer agreed to accomodate him?

The service manager or scheduler just screwed up?

What I've been doing is to schedule it for a day they feel sure it can be completed on and advise that I'll be riding it there, waiting and riding it home that day. Then I have it there before they open, park it right in front of their service door and let it cool off while I drink my coffee.

Or I truck it there and drop it off when they claim they can do it. Then I allow at least two days (but I don't tell them that!) and always call before going to pick it up.

I would wait until passing final judgement...see if this is a pattern over time/visits and, if so, then take action (speak to the manager or take business elsewhere or both). I sure wouldn't want to be judged, once and for all, based on one moment of my life--so see what happens over time.

I don't think that your expectations were unrealistic and I would have been irked, escpecially if I had a ride planned for the next morning, etc. (and that has happened). It would have been prudent and business-like for an explanation and apology to be provided--but everyone has their bad days or off days. It is interesting that they said that they tried to contact you; phone technology is pretty good (really good, actually) and I would wonder what the heck happened on that one. crazy.gif

I'd be interested in hearing more of your dealer experiences. I am also in the GTA, currently looking for someone to service my 07 RT.

PM me when you get a chance.

Ed

i wouldn't condemn the dealer based on one experience because any number of things can happen to cause delays. if it becomes a pattern then i would take my business elswhere. what number did they try and contact you on? do you have a cell phone or did you provide a work/home phone number? i use my cell phone for 100% of my calls and i never turn my cell phone off so if someone is trying to get ahold of me they can reach me. on oner or two occasions my bike wasn't ready when the dealer promised but i didn't get bent out of shape over it. mainly because stuff happens, my dealer always treats me fairly and on more than one occasion i've walked in the door and the dealer took me in without an appointment. good luck and ride safe

I took my bike in last Sat. for her 6K service. Since I live in the Sierra's, my Wife and I planned to stay in Sacto for the whole day. I made sure I left my cell phone number and kept the phone on me at all times that day. Everything went well and A&S did a great job on Pepper. Things go awry. Maybe someone on a trip broke down. You never know, maybe someone got sick. Like the Boy Scouts, be prepared and realize, Humans are humans. Sometimes (in fact most times) things don't go according to exact plan.

wrestleantares

I go with the trend on this one. Don't judge them to harshly on one experience.

Even if they do not have a good explanation, I'd let them slide on this one time - if they do good work and are reasonable. And, as you stated, they did try to call you.

Should it be ready, yes. BUT, things do happen.

Lesson learned:

Always call first before picking up any vehicle. Saves you a wasted trip a lot of times.

If they didn't try to call you, that would be inexcusable. But they did.

A couple years back I took my RT in for a 600 mile service, at a great shop I've been going to for 20 years. I dropped it off on Saturday and said I would be back Wednesday. Got there Weds and they hadn't touched the bike. Could have been a problem, but decided not to let it be. Had a long breakfast nearby, came back, sat on every bike in the showroom, tried on riding gear. Bike finished at noon and they didn't charge me for some chargeable things.

Going back next month. But this time I've arranged for a loaner. smile.gif

I'd also be interested to hear what the reason was as why it wasn't ready.

My guess.... the kid who is working at "dad's" dealer for the summer started it and then they had to wait an other 24 hours to cool before the valve job.

My east of the GTA dealer will usually offer a loner bike at least.

Thanks for any feedback.

As I was reading this I thought hmmm, this guy must live near Daytona Beach FL. blush.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

I have worked at the same auto dealer for 28+ years. I always try to meet the commitments made by others. Every day presents new challenges and added intensity. I see it every day... todays vehicles brought in for service and we still haven't finished the things they promised yesterday. The pressure to push it through is great.... The guys in the front may have no idea what is going on in the shop....appreciate good work when it is on time... They should make adjustments in schedules for emergency or the traveling customers. Talk to the service manager and work something out. Make sure that telephone contacts are established prior to drop off...Just my $.02

I'm going though the same thing. Set an appointment for a warranty repair on 8/11. I was told it was a week to a week and a half job. Called a week later, and they haven't even started on it. No call, nothing, damn, now I have to rent a Harley for the 3 day week end. I think it will be a Raod Glide!

I'd also be interested to hear what the reason was as why it wasn't ready.

I was told some people were sick but not any of the guys actually working on the bikes.

As most people are saying, I will brusf off this one and see what happens next time, in a year...

Archived