IGNORED

turning autocom mic off

Armando

Finally broke down and purchased the autocom ppt. My problem now is that I was expecting the ptt to prevent the music level from being lowered whenever the mic picks up my voice. I now understand that the ptt only works with radios attached to the bike to bike lead. Since talking while riding is the exception, I want to figure out a way to turn the mic off and on as needed. Any suggestions?

Finally broke down and purchased the autocom ppt. My problem now is that I was expecting the ptt to prevent the music level from being lowered whenever the mic picks up my voice. I now understand that the ptt only works with radios attached to the bike to bike lead. Since talking while riding is the exception, I want to figure out a way to turn the mic off and on as needed. Any suggestions?
The Autocom itself is suppose to mute down the other inputs (music) when the VOX is opened from noise/voice in the mic. So whomever you are talking to can hear you best.

I'm not clear what you feel the issue is. Is your VOX set way too low so it is easily opened by your voice?

I believe I know what you're referring to. If you are listening to music and the mic pics up a sound you make, such as a cough, etc. it mutes the music for a few seconds--correct? This is what you want to defeat--correct? I have an Active Plus and only one of the music inputs is muted--the other is not. However the non-muted input is mono, not stereo, but I can't tell the difference when I'm riding down the road. If you're hung up on stereo and you have a soldering gun and are brave, you can de-solder a surface mounted resistor on the circuit board to defeat the muting. Which unit do you have?

I guess I have similar thing. Riding along, start singing along to the music, and all of a sudden the music volume drops. Either that, or open the faceshield a little, and the same thing happens.

I can keep the faceshield closed, or try and move the mic around. But singing inside my helmet is a long-standing habit! You know, the LD riders anthem--It's a Small World. lmao.gif

If I turn the VOX way down, so I can sing...then when I get a phone call, I can't talk to the person. PTT does take care of not transmitting my singing to my riding partners. thumbsup.gif

One other option--find the same type plugs the mic uses to connect (tiny red plastic 2-conductor) maybe at Radio Shack, etc. Then splice in a small toggle switch between the mic's plug and the system side and either let it dangle below your helmet edge...or something like that...? wave.gif

One other option--find the same type plugs the mic uses to connect (tiny red plastic 2-conductor) maybe at Radio Shack, etc. Then splice in a small toggle switch between the mic's plug and the system side and either let it dangle below your helmet edge...or something like that...? wave.gif

Bobbybob,

you got it, this is exactly what I am looking to do. With a toggle switch as you describe, I would not need the PTT lead and just like Woodie, I would be able to sing or curse as needed without the music volume being turned down. This, however, will have to wait until my return from the Un. grin.gif

thanks for the idea!

Bobbybob,

you got it, this is exactly what I am looking to do. With a toggle switch as you describe, I would not need the PTT lead and just like Woodie, I would be able to sing or curse as needed without the music volume being turned down. This, however, will have to wait until my return from the Un. grin.gif

thanks for the idea!

Armando, actually I think you'd still need the PTT in order to switch your radio to transmit mode--you do have one, right? Didn't see it mentioned though, just the PTT...??

Armando, actually I think you'd still need the PTT in order to switch your radio to transmit mode--you do have one, right? Didn't see it mentioned though, just the PTT...??

Yes I would, except that the radios I have also have VOX activation. So, without the PTT lead, I can still transmit via VOX. If I add the toggle switch to the mic, as you suggested, then I can control when I can transmit via VOX by turning them mic on/off as needed. Now I can try to sell my brand new PTT lead and put that towards my Zumo pot!

grin.gif

Hi just so that you know, the VOX has no effect on the speech out to the phone, so if you turn the VOX fully up to stop the music muting while singing, then you can still speak on the phone, but you will not hear your own voice (NO SIDE-TONE) Autocom UK Tom

Thanks Tom B!!

That was just the information I was looking for. I will turning my VOX sensitivity way down, so it won't trigger at all. Then I PTT & phone are my friends. cool.gif

Figures: I just got around to testing that exact feature this morning with my phone. dopeslap.gif

Archived