Roadside assistance

dls

What are your experiences with emergency roadside assistance programs? Any recommendations?
Besides doing a search? wink.gif

RV Roadhelp is very popular for motorcyclists, and an even better deal if you have an RV. Not the cheapest plan, but offers unlimited mileage to get you to the nearest capable service provider. A pretty mandatory feature if you're riding a BMW.

RV Roadhelp is very popular for motorcyclists, and an even better deal if you have an RV.

+1 for RV Roadhelp (Allstate). I've only had to call them once, when CruiseAmerica refused roll a tow truck for a flat on their own rental RV (Stay away from C-A). Allstate answered the phone fast, had a truck there fast, and got us on our way. I'll keep using them.

I just used RV ROAD HELP in Idaho. Got a good tow truck operator. I'm not sure they are happy about towing to nearest dealer but it got me off the freeway and to a motel at no cost. wave.gif

Anyone have experience with the BMW roadside assistance?

My experience was not particulalry good. My bike was damaged in the time between the tow/pickup, and me picking it up at the dealer who repaired it. I unfortunately couldn't be around to keep an eye on it during the tow, unloading at the dealership, and repair.

Both the tow company (contracted by BMW as is the usual practice) and the dealer refused to accept any responsibility for the damage, both pointing at each other. After many calls and interventions on my part, including to BMW Canada, I had little luck with the matter.

I think my BMW bike is great, and in fact just bought a new one, but I must say that the roadside assistance experience was totally unsatisfactory and the matter of damage was never resolved.

Cheers..........Rod

+1 for AAA with the RV package and all my vehicles are covered. Had to use them when my R1150RT died from a short in the GA mountains miles from nowhere. luckily had cell service. they were out to me within 40 minutes. thumbsup.gif

D

Most reports have been poor at best. It's too limited for one thing. Plus they are hard to get a hold of.
+1 for AAA with the RV package and all my vehicles are covered. Had to use them when my R1150RT died from a short in the GA mountains miles from nowhere. luckily had cell service. they were out to me within 40 minutes. thumbsup.gif

D

Unfortunately, this seems to be the consensus view and experience with the BMW service that is included with the bike warranty. I think I will upgrade my AAA membership.

Most reports have been poor at best. It's too limited for one thing. Plus they are hard to get a hold of.
To BMW Motorrad's credit, I'd add "in North America" to that statement...

I have two experiences with this service. The first took a little time but ended as being highly successful: The tech actually made the suggestion to take it to my home dealer after we talked a bit - forever thankful to that guy! The owner personally trailered my bike to home dealer. He took my bike from Huntsville, AL to my dealer in Nashville, TN (113 miles). Owner then took me home to Murfreesboro, TN (a little out of the way 55 miles) so my wife did not have to pick me up in Nashville. The second time was very frustrating. The service guy was not really prepared to trailer a BMW. His approach to strapping down my bike would have damaged my fairing - he had only dealt with Harleys. Wanted me to sign a damage waiver. Don't think so as he didn't know/care what he was doing. I had to call for another truck (had the proper equipment). Took some time.

Archived