IGNORED

Dealer Reviews-long post alert

catneck

Well,

I have been in the market for a BMW for a few weeks. I will not name dealers here, just number them. There is a wide variance between the 3 I list here.

Dealer #1.

Big boutique. Lot'sa bikes-new and previously owned. And many things to entertain yourself or significant other while you are drooling over the bikes. I walked in, was immediately noticed and helped by a very professional salesman. He asked a few questions to help me decide, and pointed me to the bike we thought would work best for me, a KGT. He carefully explained all the features and gadgets that made the bike unique. After about 30 minutes, my time was up and had to go, promising to return for a test in the near future. Before I left, he scanned my license for his records, and took down my contact information. I thanked him and left. The following day I had an e-mail and a vm from the sales manager asking about my experience. I returned his call, and stated the bike I had looked at was too expensive, and I would like to look at a used model. The next day the salesman called and quoted me a price on the demonstrator. Still lot'sa money. I returned the following week and my guy was off, so another salesman was up. He pulled my info from the computer, and he readied a used boxer for me to ride. He stated he needed to gear up. He returned and carefully went over the features of this bike and hints on the riding style that would work best. He rode off, only after he was sure I had time to adjust mirrors, levers, and get a feel for the bike in the lot. Test loop was well thought out and varied roads and speeds. He stopped once for me to ask questions. Back to the store, where I explained my like of the model, not the color. Left feeling great about the experience, dealer would call if something else came in.

Dealer #2

Smaller boutique. One of each model and several used. I had made an appointment to see a particular boxer, having seen it advertised. Salesman was attentive, somewhat distracted, and extremely unknowledgeable about the bike. I said I would like to ride, and after I signed the "you break it you fix it" form, he was back in a few minutes ready for the ride assist. He was wearing a helmet, tennis shoes and a t-shirt-thats it. He ripped away from the store without looking to see if I had room to follow, which I did not, as a car was now in between us. He rode straight down the middle of the lane, slowing excessively in each turn. He did stop once to see if I was ok, where he lifted his helmet to spit out chewing tobacco. Wow. I asked for assistance on seat adjustment, which he clumsily provided. Back to the store, I said I wanted to ride a newer version of the boxer. He said "why, do you think you want to buy it?" What kinda question is that?. He eventually pulled out a newer bike, though not the fancy model I wanted to ride, and we were off again. Uneventful trip, back to the store. He stated he was stung by bees twice on the second trip. Maybe gear would help, I dunno. I did not like the newer bike as much, not worth the extra money to me as I liked the older model (just not their bike) better, told the dealer so, and left for another store. Not going back there anytime soon.

Dealer #3

Smaller mom and pop type dealer. Talked to an enthusiastic salesman about the bikes over coffee, and decide to ride the KGT to see if it was for me. Another form, and the dealer told me of a great test loop most guys use. I asked if he was ready, he said go ahead, you don't need me for a riding buddy. Nice. Off I go, riding the bike I thought I wanted but probably shouldn't buy. Turns out, my heart was with the boxer, and I just did not gel with the K bike. As I was explaining this to another salesman (as the first salesman rode off to go home after his shift), I spied a used boxer over his shoulder, and was drawn to it. I asked the new salesman about the bike, he talked about the details with me, and off I went on this bike. It just spoke to me, as I rode with a big stupid smile all the way back to the store, and the dealer offered a nice discount. I went back the next day and bought her. During the paperwork, the dealer relayed stories of his first encounter with a similar bike, told stories, and my wife and I were amused and entertained. Service rep rolled the bike into the delivery area, and he and the dealer showed me all the "how to" details. I rode her home. Fantastic experience. It pays to shop around, and 2 out'ta 3 ain't bad.

catneck: nice post. See you're in the Pacific Northwest- lots of great riding up that way. Always wanted to see Northern Cal.,Oregon, and Washington.

Another consideration should be how are the service departments? With each bike purchased you deal with sales once, and service multiple times unless you do all of your own maintenance.

You will love the bike.

Great review! Most Japenesse bike dealers I've dealt with are like #2. #3 sounds a lot like my dealer with a little bit of #1.

Enjoy the new bike! You're lucky to have 3 dealers within a reasonable distance.

Hi Chris,

I used to live full time in Ashland but since I became a fulltime RVer, I'm only there for March and April (tax season). I think I know where you bought - at least I hope it was the dealer closest to you. Good people.

Maybe see you in March - I stay at the Pear Tree RV park.

Ride safe.

wrestleantares

Dealer #2

Smaller boutique. One of each model and several used. I had made an appointment to see a particular boxer, having seen it advertised. Salesman was attentive, somewhat distracted, and extremely unknowledgeable about the bike. I said I would like to ride, and after I signed the "you break it you fix it" form, he was back in a few minutes ready for the ride assist. He was wearing a helmet, tennis shoes and a t-shirt-thats it. He ripped away from the store without looking to see if I had room to follow, which I did not, as a car was now in between us. He rode straight down the middle of the lane, slowing excessively in each turn. He did stop once to see if I was ok, where he lifted his helmet to spit out chewing tobacco. Wow. I asked for assistance on seat adjustment, which he clumsily provided. Back to the store, I said I wanted to ride a newer version of the boxer. He said "why, do you think you want to buy it?" What kinda question is that?. He eventually pulled out a newer bike, though not the fancy model I wanted to ride, and we were off again. Uneventful trip, back to the store. He stated he was stung by bees twice on the second trip. Maybe gear would help, I dunno. I did not like the newer bike as much, not worth the extra money to me as I liked the older model (just not their bike) better, told the dealer so, and left for another store. Not going back there anytime soon.

I think I rode with this guy on a dealer loop. Went to a shop and the kid did wheelies on the GSXR he rode while he was with me.

Made me very uncomfortable.

I will not post dealers names here-pm if you want them.

Thanks, Chris

I see no reason why not. The good dealers will get the publicity they deserve and the lousy one just might try to improve if they know they're getting bad pub.

I see no reason why not. <snip> the lousy one just might try to improve if they know they're getting bad pub.

Liability issues.
I see no reason why not. <snip> the lousy one just might try to improve if they know they're getting bad pub.

Liability issues.

Please clarify.

wrestleantares

Liability issues.

Please clarify.

I personally cannot see how there could be any "liability issues" with the described visits. I'm not an expert on the issue, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express and I have been sued (unsuccessfully) twice for slander.

Archived