IGNORED

Autoite Plug Gap

doc47

For the R1100 engine. What's the gap set at?

thanks

The electrode gap spec is .032” (.0315) to max wear limit of .039” .. You can easily run .035” (that is where I run mine)..

You could even run .040” but at that gap you are asking a lot of the ignition secondary as far as isolation goes with a chance of a wet plug wire or wet plug porcelain arcing to ground..

A good rule is not to deviate too much from what gap the plug comes originally set at as moderate bending can leave you with an angled ground electrode.. If you are running the Autolite 3923 then probably .035” would be about max as that plug comes with a lower initial gap.. If you are running the Autolite AP 3923 those plugs come with a larger initial gap so you will probably have to close the gap slightly (on those you could run in the high .039’s)..

As a general rule a wider plug electrode gap gives you a better idle & off idle but can (not always will though) give worse igniton performance at higher RPM's..

Twisty

does this hold for the r1150, mine is single spark.

Armando, yes, the 1100 & 1150 use the same plug electrode gaps.. Slightly different plugs but same gaps..

Twisty

Slightly different plugs but same gaps..

Twisty

Twisty,

I thought I could use the Autolite 3923. I bought a set that has yet to be installed. Am I incorrect?

thanks

I'm running Autolite 3923's in my '02, R1150RT and they are working very well. No problems and the surging was reduced slightly by their installation. clap.gif

Slightly different plugs but same gaps..

Twisty

Twisty,

I thought I could use the Autolite 3923. I bought a set that has yet to be installed. Am I incorrect?

thanks

Armando, yes (1150) you can use the 3923 but those are a tad hotter than the stock 1150 plug.. If you read between the lines & match actual heat range the 3922 is a little closer to the stock plug.. Lots of people run the 3923 without any problems though.. If you are not a hard fast rider they are probably a little more appropriate.. If you run lots of high speed hiway then probably the 3922 are a better choice.. If you run a fuel controller & are running rich in the cruise range then the 3923 would actually be a good choice..

Twisty

Twisty

I have just turned my r259 back on so from that perpective, it sounds like the 3923 will do just fine. As for ridding hard and fast, on the highway I, or the bike, likes to travel at 80-85mph. I guess I will install and see what happens. Can't lose on a 4 dollar purchase! Thanks again.

A

Archived