IGNORED

instrument back lighting 1150 RT

fossil

I do about 75% of my (communter) riding in the dark so I guess I better get in the know about back lighting replacement. Specifically this morning I lost lighting in the red line quadrant of the tach. So, as a matter of replacement are any of these bulbs accessable without removing the dash or front tupperware?

Jerry Johnston

I looked at mine and it would take hands as small as a monkey to reach up there without removing the dash.

I suppose some people are dexterous to reach them from up underneath, but really you have to pull the dash panel and then the instrument cluster and flip it over. It's not as hard as it sounds though. Remove the windscreen, remover the mirrors and all the obvious screws holding the dash panel on. There is a nut around the headlamp adjuster know and a connector to the fog lamps switch. Then four long bolts and the cluster lifts up and out. There are some metal grommets on the back side of the rubber isolation mounts for the cluster you'll want to make a point of keeping track of. A bit of tape on them makes it easier to get them to stay when you put the cluster back in.

The lamps are in push in rubber lamp holders from the back/bottom.

Not to highjack this thread, but why would my instrument lights be on one day and not the next. Even this morning the speedo lights were out, then I looked 10 minutes later and they were on, then a few minutes they were off.

I looked at mine and it would take hands as small as a monkey to reach up there without removing the dash.

Dang, what bad timing. I just sold my monkey last week. bncry.gif

I suppose some people are dexterous to reach them from up underneath, but really you have to pull the dash panel and then the instrument cluster and flip it over. It's not as hard as it sounds though. Remove the windscreen, remover the mirrors and all the obvious screws holding the dash panel on. There is a nut around the headlamp adjuster know and a connector to the fog lamps switch. Then four long bolts and the cluster lifts up and out. There are some metal grommets on the back side of the rubber isolation mounts for the cluster you'll want to make a point of keeping track of. A bit of tape on them makes it easier to get them to stay when you put the cluster back in.

The lamps are in push in rubber lamp holders from the back/bottom.

Looked at this again, more closely this time, and it's just to tight to get to the lamps from the bottom so thanks for the break down on access. Might as well replace all four while it's open. Thanks, R

Archived