IGNORED

Question for 1150RT-P owners/riders

swilson

I was looking at some photos of an RT-P for sale and noticed that the speedo is a 120 mph speedo. ???? Why is that? They aren't speed governed are they?

Just thought this was goofy since my civi model has a 150 mph speedo and I know it goes.... errr... well over 120 mph.

My 02 struggles to get above 120, I know they are geared lower with the "S" rear end, but to tell you the truth, I cannot remember what my speedo goes to, I'll have to check later tonite!

The RT-P speedos are "calibrated" up to 120. I have to say, mine is pretty darn accurate, especially in comparison to my other BMWs.

Note: The calibration is only really valid with the police-spec tires. Not enough reason for me to stick w/ the Dunlops though, and the speedo is still pretty close with the Pilot Roads.

That speedo is more accurate due to the 'official' capacity of clocking nere do wells. I know it agrees with my GPS with most tires i've put on. 1100RTP wave.gif

My 02 struggles to get above 120, I know they are geared lower with the "S" rear end, but to tell you the truth, I cannot remember what my speedo goes to, I'll have to check later tonite!

Wow, the gearing must be noticably different... my bike still accelerates well over 120.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I have never riden a "regular" RT, but I can say the RTP accelerates like a raped ape! I can take most bikes off the line, and keep up with rolling speed blasts from anywhere up to 120, then it just seems to hit a aerodynamic wall. If I remember right, I am not close to redline in 6th, but it can pull to redline in 5th.

up to 120, then it just seems to hit a aerodynamic wall. If I remember right, I am not close to redline in 6th, but it can pull to redline in 5th.

Thats the way my GS-P is... accel. is great till 100-105, then it trails off quickly. Going downhill with a tailwind I might hit 120. Must be the gearing on the P models.

TheGreatGazoo

I don’t know about the R1150RTP verses the R1150RT for speed. But I do know that the R1100RTP has an accurate authority Speedo 120mph that is only off by less than 2% verses the stock RT Speedo that can be off by generally more than 10% to the high side. My RTP can show 70mph on the Speedo with my GPS showing 69 mph and at the same time my Dads R1100RT is showing 77 to 78 mph on his Speedo, this difference only gets worst at higher speeds. Also the R1100RTP has a 31-11 rear drive gears (2.81 ratio) verses the stock R1100RT 32-11 rear drive gears (2.91 ratio). Both use the same transmission ratios so this should make the RTP accelerate slightly slower than the stock RT but have a slightly (3 or 4 %) higher top speed (not accounting for any difference in possible weight or air resistance between the two). A GPS reading of 114mph is easy on the R1100RTP a reading of over 124mph on the GPS on the flat takes way too much time and ground covered for my likening. The R1150RTP should be better at this than the lower hp R1100RTP. So no it's not limited by a 120mph speedo anymore than some cars only had 80mph speedo's by law a few years back.

Archived