IGNORED

I-10 from east coast to California

xoomerite

Should there be icing or other problems on I-10 the first week of November? I understand that there are mountains in the western US, but don't know if this extends to the I-10 route.

I am going to ride to California that week to go riding with my brother on the super duper California roads.

We've been up and down I-10 in Nov. many times. Deming NM is the high point and can get pretty cold. Last year it was 28 degrees in Nov. on the way home from Death Valley. 30 minutes earlier in AZ it was 90. Go figure!!!!!!

I wouldn't hesitate traveling I-10 in Nov.(If you need a place to crash we live 2 miles off I-10 on the west side of San Antonio)

Have a great trip!!!!

Whip

Like Whip said, Deming is the high-point, after that the ride should be pretty easy if somewhat boring thru the AZ/CA deserts (not due to it being a desert, due to it being an interstate). There is a good museum at Chiriaco Summit - a General George S. Patton, Jr. museum. It's where he trained the troops for "Operation Torch." Located approx. 50 miles east of Palm Springs.

When you hit Indio, the armpit of the driving world starts and continues to the Pacific Ocean. Watch out for the California Cagers. I commute with them everyday

Dennis Andress

The hardest part of that trip is coming to terms with the fact that it is further from Houston to El Paso than it is from El Paso to California. The second hardest part is learning that 2/3 of the U.S. deer population live on I-10 somewhere near Fort Stockton, Texas

There is a good museum at Chiriaco Summit . . .
chriaco is also a great place to correct dangerously low cholesterol levels. well worth a stop. more on that subject here. when west of the colorado river, keep your eyes peeled for low and slow high wing light aircraft paralleling the highway. CHP patrols the 10 with cessnas as well as units. don't know about motors.

"The second hardest part is learning that 2/3 of the U.S. deer population live on I-10 somewhere near Fort Stockton, Texas"

You won't believe how many dead deer you'll see between Fort Stockton and San Antonio.....plan on doing that part in the afternoon if you can.

Whip

Calvin  (no socks)

I did I-10 from Kerrville to San Antonio at 3:00 am....

Never again!

There were so many deer I could smell them.....

I did I-10 from Kerrville to San Antonio at 3:00 am....

Never again!

And that's only 60 miles!

I was amazed this summer in the rains though, we didn't see a single deer from Kerrville to AL. It was only in the FL panhandle that we saw any near the roads....

I was amazed this summer in the rains though, we didn't see a single deer from Kerrville to AL. It was only in the FL panhandle that we saw any near the roads....

Ok, I agree with the statement....noticed the same thing this year, but can you explain why? My guess is that in a dry year, the grass only grows adjacent to the roadways where there is less tree shade, and in a wet year, it grows everywhere? Is that your thinking as well? Inquiring minds want to know.

Archived