IGNORED

A Pronunciation Guide to Unrally Place Names

weeble

Most Unrally area place names are pronounced as you would expect, based on the spelling. But a few have different/unusual pronunciations. Using the correct pronunciation in front of the natives won't get you one of those "Y'all ain't from around these parts, are yuh?" inquiries. wink.gif

Chelyan, WV SHEEL-yun

Cowen, WV COW-un

Danese, WV day-NEECE

Edray, WV EE-dray

Ghent, WV GENT (as in "gentlemen")

Hico, WV HIGH-ko

Iaeger, WV YAY-gur

Kanawha River, WV kuh-NAW-wuh

Lerona, WV lur-OH-nuh

Marmet, WV mar-MET

Matoaka, WV muh-TOKE-uh

Oceana, WV oh-see-ANN-uh

Pineville, WV PINE-vul

Racine, WV ray-SEEN

Renick, WV REN-ick

Ronceverte, WV RON-suh-vurt

Sophia, WV SO-fee-yuh

Tazewell, VA TAZ-wul

Tralee, WV tray-LEE

Wytheville, VA WITH-vul

Weeble,

Having grown up on its banks, I would make one change:

Kanawha River: kuh-NAW

Anybody care to try- Monongahela??

or- Monongalia??

Tom

Weeble,

Having grown up on its banks, I would make one change:

Kanawha River: kuh-NAW

<snip>

Tom

Yep!--I stand corrected! smile.gif

I'm sure that Joe Montana always says Muh-nonga-HEE-la

Muh-nonga-HEE-la is definitely correct. thumbsup.gif

The river was in my back yard during college, and that is what we called it. However there is a Monongalia County in WV, and that is pronounced Monon-GA-lia.

Good news. There is a place in Fayetteville named "Beer City". Standard pronunciation.

Most Unrally area place names are pronounced as you would expect, based on the spelling. But a few have different/unusual pronunciations. Using the correct pronunciation in front of the natives won't get you one of those "Y'all ain't from around these parts, are yuh?" inquiries. wink.gif

Ghent, WV GENT (as in "gentlemen")

Also the site of the local "Gentlemens Club"

Wilber, you commuting daily or did you ever get the wife trained to "stick the kitties"?

I'm staying at the Quality Inn, Mon-Wed nites. Have a dental appt in Beckley Thur. a.m. No kitty-sticking necessary now. "Inky" took a bad turn for the worst two months ago and had to be euthanized. frown.gif I miss my big black buddy!

Wilber, you commuting daily or did you ever get the wife trained to "stick the kitties"?

I'm staying at the Quality Inn, Mon-Wed nites. Have a dental appt in Beckley Thur. a.m. No kitty-sticking necessary now. "Inky" took a bad turn for the worst two months ago and had to be euthanized. frown.gif I miss my big black buddy!

Sorry to hear about Inky..Coconut and the others doing fine I assume? See you Mon. night!

Sorry to hear about Inky..Coconut and the others doing fine I assume? See you Mon. night!

Hmmm! Seems that you've found a web site that I haven't updated in quite a while! Coconut passed on after a very eventful life of 19 years! Ricky (my wife's favorite) also died from complications of diabetes. We're down to one cat right now -- 11 year old Annie, a petite little piebald girl. She's a sweetie!

Hmmm! Seems that you've found a web site that I haven't updated in quite a while! Coconut passed on after a very eventful life of 19 years! Ricky (my wife's favorite) also died from complications of diabetes. We're down to one cat right now -- 11 year old Annie, a petite little piebald girl. She's a sweetie!

Sure did Doctor! smirk.gif Seems you're right famous around them parts!thumbsup.gif Sorry to hear about the other kittys frown.gif

I think one correction should also be noted...the quote would be "Y'all ain't fum 'ound ese parts, are yuh?"

Archived