IGNORED

Motolights on F800ST

Ben_Ricci

188699906-M.jpg

188700006-M.jpg

188700080-M.jpg

188701308-M.jpg

The F800ST presents a few dimensional challenges for caliper mounting Motolights. After lots of trial-and-error engineering, here is what’s required for the F800ST caliper mount Motolight installation:

(Motolight parts)

10-695 Caliper Mount Spacer Block Set

10x1.25x60mm socket head zinc plated 12.9

10mm lock washer

The 10-695 spacer block has a 25mm offset and the stock BMW caliper bolt is 35mm, therefore a 60mm bolt is required. Please note that I did not use the lock washer because using it requires an additional 2-3mms bolt length (63mm?) to fully penetrate the caliper. I believe with proper torque, the clamping force should be sufficient. If you purchase a kit online, confirm it includes these parts.

More pics: http://www.pbase.com/bricciphoto/motolights

Firefight911
Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

+1 to that!

Now it looks as though I have to go shopping!!!!! tongue.gif

Firefight911
Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

+1 to that!

Now it looks as though I have to go shopping!!!!! tongue.gif

Yippie!!!!! Looks like another surprise for me!!! grin.gif

Looks very nice|

I think you might be a real pioneer, and it took some real persistence from you, too. I had checked for photos of F800 auxiliary light setups and I never found any. Until now. Congratulations!

How well is the alternator handling the load?

How well is the alternator handling the load?

Good question. I'm not certain yet. It has been ridden since I installed them. The charging capacity is 400 watts. The lamps are 50W each. I think it should be okay as there is no other major loads (other than the headlight, which is 50 or 55 watts). We don't use electric jackets/pants. wave.gif

• 2 months later...

Still holding up?

I am about to transplant the R12ST Motolights to Jamie's F800ST.

Any other tips or corrections/adjustments now that you have some miles on them?

Still holding up?

I am about to transplant the R12ST Motolights to Jamie's F800ST.

Any other tips or corrections/adjustments now that you have some miles on them?

Yep. Holding up fine. My wife's been doing a lot of low rpm riding around, so I took it out last weekend (while mine was in the shop* crazy.gif )and ran it with Gerbings and didn't have any problems. I haven't put a voltmeter on it--maybe I'll do that while I'm re-farkling my bike this weekend.

My only caveat: when mounted on the lower caliper bolt the Motolights are either the first or second thing to touch the ground in a tip over (toss up between Motolight and foot peg) as I discovered both times I dropped her bike. dopeslap.gif But I think the lights look better on the lower bolt.

wave.gif

*new transmission seal and front brake rotors. frown.gif

so I took it out last weekend (while mine was in the shop* crazy.gif )
Sheesh... Talk about bad luck... Sorry man.
(toss up between Motolight and foot peg) as I discovered both times I dropped her bike. dopeslap.gif But I think the lights look better on the lower bolt.
note to self - don't let Ben borrow MY bike smile.gif

OK, I don't get it. Twice? An f800? Those things weigh like 3/5 the weight of your bike. Just bad luck?

(I know I've probably just jinxed myself for even wondering, so I'll report back later today after I drop mine... smile.gif )

Well, the first time I was on gravel and thought I had the side stand down, backed it up while standing next to it, then swung my leg over the back and kicked my camera case... blush.gif and it started leaning, then more and more.

The second time I was showing off and demonstrating to the wife how tight she could make a u-turn and just as I was in the midst of a full lock turn, I stalled it. dopeslap.gif

No real damage and of course my wife thinks it's great because I've given up any opportunity to EVER say anything if she does the same thing.

wave.gif

Archived