Is this a good price on a R1200ST?

jaytee

Hey!

I think I have found the bike:

2005 R1200ST in Blue/Silver

Miles: 650 (yes, six hundred fifty smile.gif )

Factory Options:

* ABS

* Trip Computer

* Heated Grips

* Chrome Header

* Luggage Grid

Accesories:

* System Side Hard Bags

Price: $13,625 complete after tax, titel, shipping, etc

($11,900 firm + $650 shipping to SoCal + $925 CA sales tax + $150 Registration)

Is this an ok deal? The 600 mile service has been done but otherwise this is nearly a new vehicle. the base price of 11.9k seems reasonable?

Thanks!

JT

VP530210_2.jpg

PS: Is there a way to tell from pictures or VIN if a bike does indeed have ABS or trip computer?

Seems reasonable. It is after all almost brand new.

I don't know where it's at, but it seems you could buy a plane ticket to Anywhere, USA and ride it home for $650.! thumbsup.gif

I don't know where it's at, but it seems you could buy a plane ticket to Anywhere, USA and ride it home for $650.! thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I pitched that idea to the wife but she appraised me of the real cost to go 2400 miles:

450$ plane ticket + 240$ for hotels (3 nights) + $200 daycare (for my two boys I watch three days a week) + gas + miles + tires = a lot more than $650 all to ride a TON of freeway when I could be riding those same miles along southern california beaches and in the sierra nevada mountains :P

JT

Firefight911

[quoteBTW, what would one do maintenence wise if you bought a bike that only had 600 miles put on in two years?

JT

Verify fluid levels, tire pressure, . . . . .

Oh yea, and RIDE THE DARN THING!!!! tongue.giftongue.gif

As for verifying the equipment, get the VIN. Your local BMW dealer should be able to look it up. He'll also be able to note any BMW service/updates/recalls, etc.

As for ABS, there is a speed sensor ring on the left side of the front wheel. Can't see it from the pic you posted.

Looks like we got another one!!! In the best color, too.

Soooooo, when is the tech daze?????? Coming to Torrey?

The deal sounds reasonable with that low mileage. You should find out the in-service date to see how much warranty it has left.

Is this an ok deal? The 600 mile service has been done but otherwise this is nearly a new vehicle. the base price of 11.9k seems reasonable?

You couldn't buy mine at that price and I've almost finished the run in. (12k miles grin.gif)

Maintenance? Change the oil and filter and go ride it.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the club!

JT-

Congratulations!

Beautiful bike, excellent price.

I was loooking for a blue, but I am delighted with my silver (5000 miles).

I bought mine recently and paid $11,000 plus $550 mass tax and $65 for title and reg. Mine had 1300 miles and has ABS but no bags. I'd say that you would be getting a decent deal.

An '05 with 650 miles???

Good deal?

Are you kidding?

Better snag that one now.

And you'll make Phil real happy with the color. grin.gif

As for ABS, there is a speed sensor ring on the left side of the front wheel. Can't see it from the pic you posted...

VP530210_3.jpg

VP530210_4.jpg

VP530210_1.jpg

These are all the pictures I have, but the resolution isn't high enough to visually inspect for that ring... there does seem to be a black sensor below the calipers onthe left front - is that ABS as well?

JT

stubblejumper

These are all the pictures I have, but the resolution isn't high enough to visually inspect for that ring.

In that last picture it sure looks as if the ring is present.

Where'd you find it? Sounds like a great buy. If it had the dealer 600 miles stamp, just check the tire pressure and oil level and off you go for the next 5500.

Congrats!

my 2¢:

Yeah, it's a good deal. It's not "sell my 1st born to get it" amazing of a deal, but it does seem to be more than fair. I'll agree with the crowd here and say "get it".

However, I would recommend changing the "lifetime" final drive fluid when you get it home. BMW changed their recommendations for service with the '07's so they now include changing the final drive fluid at the 600 mile service. I changed mine at my 6k and was really glad I did.

Congrats (if you get it) and enjoy.

Firefight911

Would you get it already!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I want to add that once you have it at home, I will work out a scheduled date and I'll come down, if you would like, and we'll go over all your service, etc.

Or you could ride up!!! That is once they finish pouring the concrete in the back yard!! clap.gif

I smell CA Tech Daze!!!! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Would you get it already!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Ok, Ok, I give! tongue.gif

I mean, I got! clap.gif

It is officially paid for and shipping is arranged... now the LOOOOONG agonizing wait for a tractor trailer to show up in North Carolina and slooowly make its way across the country here to Riverside. frown.gif

Some minor changes to the total deal...

Because I felt uncomfortable sending cash on a bike that I hadn't seen, they charged me a couple hundred bucks for putting it on a credit card. Also, I opted to pay a little extra to get the shipping insurance upped from from the standard $7000 to a full 12k.

Sooo.... the final deal is $12,138 + $725 shipping +local sales tax and registration.

Also, apparently after a VIN check these are the official factory instaleld options:

Heated Grips

Center Stand

ABS

Luggage Grid

The Service Date is 08-17-05 which means I have almost a full year of warranty left.

And yes, I will certainly be looking for local expertise on service! I have always done all my own service (except mounting tires) so I am expecting to learn how to do so on a Boxer twin. My previous experience is with a Yamaha FZ-1, Yamaha Roadstar Warrior, and Suzuki SV1000S.

I cant wait!

JT

Firefight911

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Build it (Set the date!!!) and they will come!!

Congratulations!!!

This is probably gonna be the longest 1 - 2 weeks of your life!!!!! frown.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gifcrazy.gif

I have one word for ya!!!!!!!!!!!

T - O - R - R - E - Y

This is probably gonna be the longest 1 - 2 weeks of your life!!!!! frown.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gifcrazy.gif

T - O - R - R - E - Y

I suspect its goign to be closer to two weeks + since its 2-4 days just to schedule pickup then 6 days estimated to CA then a day or two to schedule delivery - if it all goes right frown.gif

But I do have to make a spot for it - my garage is filled with other bikes right now and I desperately need to stip them to stock and sell them!

As to your one word - I have NO idea what you mean, nor do I know anyone named Torrey ?????? confused.gif

JT

T - O - R - R - E - Y

I suspect its goign to be closer to two weeks + since its 2-4 days just to schedule pickup then 6 days estimated to CA then a day or two to schedule delivery - if it all goes right frown.gif

But I do have to make a spot for it - my garage is filled with other bikes right now and I desperately need to stip them to stock and sell them!

As to your one word - I have NO idea what you mean, nor do I know anyone named Torrey ??????

Torrey is a place in Utah. However, on this board it's a semiannual gathering (in Torrey of all places) that is coming up in just under a month. If you need to find a motel room, 1bmwfan can probably let you know of a room that will be available when he cancels his reservation... tongue.gif (Yeah Phil, a couple of sentences to beat a dead horse... but it'll cease to be funny when you do show up for Torrey, but until then...)

Congrats on the bike purchase.

And take Phil up on his offer of showing you the ropes of servicing the bike. It's not difficult at all to do your own service.

Torrey is a place in Utah. However, on this board it's a semiannual gathering (in Torrey of all places) that is coming up in just under a month...

Sounds like a lot of fun, but I suspect there is *no chance* that my wife would let me kite off on a multi-day trip to Utah leaving her with a full time job (I am in off-season) and three young kids! Women.

Ok. I'm already impatient.

I jsut got the paperwork from the sipper: pickup scheduled for sometime between Aug 30 - Sept 10th!!!!!! Thats an 11 day window for pickup frown.gif

Delivery scheduled for 9/14-9/17

Certainly an excellent deal. Especially is the side cases are included (as shown in the pics).

Blue is the best color, though I like the darker theme thumbsup.gif

R1200ST.jpg

Certainly an excellent deal. Especially is the side cases are included (as shown in the pics).

Blue is the best color, though I like the darker theme thumbsup.gif

I would have taken blue/graphite, blue/silver, silver/silver, or silver/graphite, with my fav being the '07 night black (complteely unavailable). My wife, however, *much* prefers the blue/silver that I got so all is well in the jaytee household! wink.gif

I want to send a special "hell yeah!" out to rbstone who graciously provided me with the VIN check.

"Hell Yeah!" thumbsup.gif

Thanks buddy, I owe ya one.

Again, an AGONIZING wait till Sept 17 frown.gif

JT

Congrats, jaytee- I'd say you got a fair deal on a bike that appears to be in great condition. And I think it was a good call for you to have "upped" the coverage on the insurance. Several years ago, I sold a Sportster to a guy in an eastern state, and it was stolen out of the truck while parked overnight in Texas. The buyer had not thought to increase his coverage above the minimum provided, and wound up losing about $4,000. The really strange thing was that the thieves had moved two "big twins" to get to the Sportster! (I mean, it was really nice, but?)

And welcome to the most active bunch of ST riders I've found so far, right here on this forum. I bought mine used a few months ago, and have no regrets...

Ed

Congrats on making the commitment on an ST jaytee! Glad you found one. clap.gif

Snowdog, I don't think I've ever seen that combination of colors. Very nice and I'm sure unique. thumbsup.gif

Congrats JT on your acquisition of a beauty of an ST. That was my 1st color choice but, I settled to get mine with the ESA option. Good luck on your marriage as 'the other woman' will be in the garage soon! tongue.gif

A bit of a hint, don't baby the motor that has had it's 600 mile service or it will take literally forever to run-in the motor. BMW has no restrictions past that point probably for good reason. I rode mine as I pleased at that point and mine has been gaining power up to the present 11k miles. thumbsup.gif

Again, an AGONIZING wait till Sept 17 frown.gif

JT

So, you get to have another birthday pass without your ST... Well, happy birthday anyway. wave.gif

Ha!

Thanks for the b-day wishes... had a couple of friends over and they brought their kids - together with ours it made for 6 kiddos runnign around in the pool!

Very weird day, 105f mid-day, followed by a hard-hitting 15 minutes rain storm, followed by 97deg heat

Reminded me of Texas, not southern california!

JT

wrestleantares

I saw your bike the other day at Carolina BMW when I was picking up my GS.

Nice bike. Yoou can hardly tell it hit that deer six months ago. The guys did a great job reconditioning it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, I did see your bike. Looks great so have some safe fun on the thing.

Nice bike. Yoou can hardly tell it hit that deer six months ago. The guys did a great job reconditioning it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, I did see your bike. Looks great so have some safe fun on the thing.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifeek.gif

say... wha????

Did you actualyl see it then? I was hoping someone from the board would have wandered by... Its very odd to buy a bike this way, sight unseen. I guess I am betting on the good name and reputation of Carolina BMW and hoping it all turns out well.

JT

wrestleantares

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifeek.gif

say... wha????

Did you actualyl see it then? I was hoping someone from the board would have wandered by... Its very odd to buy a bike this way, sight unseen. I guess I am betting on the good name and reputation of Carolina BMW and hoping it all turns out well.

JT

It was yours or one just like it. They had it sitting on the floor with a sign that it was sold and to keep off. I was in the shop for a long time so looked it over pretty good. If I had read this thread first I would have paid more attention and given you a full report.

Yes, thats mine... they have a couple others but they are not on the floor (according to George, my sales guy). This one was kept on the floor next to the new bikes becasue of the low mileage and becasue it was owned by a friend of the owner's. If you happen to wander by again, let me know... smile.gif

JT

wrestleantares
Yes, thats mine... they have a couple others but they are not on the floor (according to George, my sales guy). This one was kept on the floor next to the new bikes becasue of the low mileage and becasue it was owned by a friend of the owner's. If you happen to wander by again, let me know... smile.gif

JT

Yeah, the used bikes are kept outside and rolled in at closing. That one was the only used (except for a demo I think) that was on the floor.

George is a cool guy has a ton of bikes himself. I got myself down to one, the LT and then took the proceeds from selling two bikes and my old sports car to get me the GS. I love it (well, at least the first 160 miles).

Did you actualyl see it then? I was hoping someone from the board would have wandered by...
Yeah, they had to give him something as a loaner bike. smile.gif

Archived