IGNORED

Markel Ins question

bmw_rider

I've had the 1976 R90/6 insured with Markel for almost 7 years now. I never had to get any inspection. Are you trying to get full coverage? I only have liability, uninsured and under-insured coverage.

My 82 R100 didn't require an inspection but it's been insured by them for the last 10 years. It may be a new policy.

Who do they want to do the inspection? What type of insurance are you applying for?

Full coverage, parrallelling my 03R1150RT coverage. When quoting they didn't mention the inspection requirement, when you actually want to purchase...... surprise.

Has it always been their policy to require an ispection if the bike is over 20 years old?

I can't speak for Markel, but I try to inspect +10 year old vehicles that the owner wants physical damage coverage. You may be surprised the number of people who want to insure POS's. Rusty hunks of metal, beat up barely running machines.

Recently had a guy that wanted to insure an early '80 HD Sportster for $10,000. When I went to look at it, parts were missing, rusty, and bent. He said H-D's are worth it.

I kindly declinded the business.

I would want an inspection on a bike that old, especially if it's worth something. You don't want to be in the position of having to prove its value after it has been stolen or totalled.

Archived