IGNORED

How many people here are a members of the AMA?

Kraynak

How many people are members of the AMA?  

564 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been a member for a long time and support MOST of what they do. I do not support their helmet law position since I feel that they exist to protect motorcyclists (even from themselves.) They seem to want to protect the rider's right to choose rather than the riders themselves. tongue.gif

Yeah I hear you Rich, and agree. Although most people think that it is their right to wear one or not, I think that’s why they fight for it, it’s about Rider's rights.

Anyone want to share their opinion why the AMA is not worth joining?

I joined up last year. I think as a minority of road users, we benefit from a organization that helps represent us at the regional, state and national level in both the legislature and in the courts.

I agree that the helmet issues IMO is a waste of resources, but I respect their postion to defend rider's rights.

I considered contributing to the efforts to do a modern "Hurt report". I'm a little disappointed at how little money they needed, yet congress only met them halfway in funding. We'll pour money into figuring out how to protect a 3000lb car from a 6000lb SUV but could care less about how a the dangers of a 3000lb car affects a 800lb motorcycle.

Many people are just ambivalent; they don't see what they're getting for their money. Some are ardently opposed to the AMA's stance on helmet laws. And a few don't like the way the AMA mishandled roadracing. I've been an on-again, off-again member because of the last reason.

Dave

they don't see what they're getting for their money.

Hell the magazine is worth the membership alone.

Some are ardently opposed to the AMA's stance on helmet laws

Thats only one issue though. I don't think there will be an organization that people will agree with every topic.

And a few don't like the way the AMA mishandled roadracing

Yeah they need to revamp that dep, I agree.

What do they give me that I need/want?

Ditto.

I only joined because it was required for racing back when. What a toothless tiger they are. You're better off giving your money to racing/riding clubs that actually really do something except be a bureaucracy. bncry.gif

They haven't convinced me that their advocacy is worth $40/year.

Lets_Play_Two
Thats only one issue though. I don't think there will be an organization that people will agree with every topic.

We are a country where many decisions, some important, some not, are made on a single-issue basis. We long ago gave up the concept that what is good for the many is good for the few. grin.gif

I WAS a member for about 6 years, having done it mostly for the insurance break.

I thought their magazine was lacking (even worse than the MOA mag IMO) and I thought them to be too.... too.... well, they sounded like a bunch of old farts all the time poo pooing things they didn't necessarily agree with. I also felt they had kind of a "Gee isn't this great!" Mentality about, well, pretty much everything, and it got to me in that Norman Rockwell saccharine sweet way that too much nostalgia can.

I have no bones to pick with them position or advocacy wise, I think they look to the majority of the riding population as a group of cruiser-riding geezers like they perceive themselves and thus made helmet laws their star. Many of us here happen to disagree. Fortunately, we have the choice to disagree and express that disagreement by not subscribing.

They seem to want to stick their nose in all things motorcycle! Lousy race arrangements, another museum, foundations for this and that, no helmets and their breath stinks. No beer at rallies, gotta belong to get rally insurance. Too much of everybody elses money! tongue.gif

I've been a member, but may not renew after this year. I disagree with their helmet position and their wanting to ride off road anywhere they want. Also, I don't get much out of their magazine which, to me, seem bent towards racing and off-road riding.

As far as this being the only motorcycle lobby, don't forget the MRF which probably does as much or more for us.

I heard the "motorcycle industry" pitched in for the rest of the money needed for the new motorcycle crash study to be done by OSU. Fine, as long as they don't have any input in the results.

I called my state rep and asked why we do not have a helmet law, his response. the AMA .Every year they spends millions lobbing against a helmet law, not with my money!

russell_bynum

I disagree with their helmet position and their wanting to ride off road anywhere they want. Also, I don't get much out of their magazine which, to me, seem bent towards racing and off-road riding.

Hmm...maybe I should look into it more. Sounds like it is right up my alley.

I disagree with their helmet position and their wanting to ride off road anywhere they want. Also, I don't get much out of their magazine which, to me, seem bent towards racing and off-road riding.

Hmm...maybe I should look into it more. Sounds like it is right up my alley.

Try it .....you may like it!!!!!!!clap.gif

thumbsup.gif

I called my state rep and asked why we do not have a helmet law, his response. the AMA .Every year they spends millions lobbing against a helmet law, not with my money!

Your state rep. is sadly misinformed....helmet laws take up very little of the AMA's time or money and anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know what they are talking about.

Say what you will, but I would ask that you support your in-state Motorcycle Rights Organization (MRO) even if you chose not to support the AMA.

I posted these previously but would encourage anyone who wants to know what the AMA does to review the following:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/issues.asp (helmet use)

......here is a direct quote from their position statement on helmets:

The Association will not oppose laws requiring helmets for minor motorcycle riders and passengers. It believes that many young motorcyclists and passengers may lack the maturity to make an informed decision regarding the use of motorcycle helmets.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/Sound_Advice.asp (MC sound)

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2005/Safetyconference.asp

http://www.amadirectlink.com/study/

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2005/Transportation_Bill.asp

http://www.ama-cycle.org/legisltn/releases/2002/G02022.asp

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/NewRider/startright.asp

I have been a member for a long time and support MOST of what they do. I do not support their helmet law position since I feel that they exist to protect motorcyclists (even from themselves.) They seem to want to protect the rider's right to choose rather than the riders themselves. tongue.gif
I've been a member for over 20 years. I do support their helmet law position (100%) but recognize that it is really a pragmatic position on their part, they would lose a larger portion of their membership by supporting helmet laws than they do by being quasi-neutral on it. (In that they verbally support choice but don't actually do anything about it)

They are the main lobby we have and that is a good enough reason to be a member. The museum is good if surpassed now by a number of others. The magazine is mostly dull, only one worse is the BMWON. I hate the 'new' symbol and throw away the decals they send each year where I used to put the old one on the bike.

I agree Deadboy. If you don't want to support the AMA, at least support some motorcycle advocacy group. Personally, I like what the AMA is doing regarding laws in cage vs motorcycle accidents. thumbsup.gif

I'm with you on that Bob, they advocate choice and I'm ok with that.

I am curious though as to why so many of you who have said you wouldn't support the AMA because they "sort of" advocate for choice in wearing a helmet.

Would one of you care to enlighten me? You can PM those opinions if you wish.

[quote

I posted these previously but would encourage anyone who wants to know what the AMA does to review the following:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/issues.asp (helmet use)

I visited this site to see what they are about. Found it interesting that less than 5% of the riders in the US are members. Obviously, many other riders don't see a benefit either. I don't know who they represent, but it ain't much!

I visited this site to see what they are about. Found it interesting that less than 5% of the riders in the US are members. Obviously, many other riders don't see a benefit either. I don't know who they represent, but it ain't much!
I doubt that more than 5% of many user populations are a member of their advocacy group. The AMA represents the interest of motorcyclists, not all of them of course and not perfectly, but they do most things right.

I do support the AMA for the most part. No large organization can be all things to all people, and I think they do a good job of tackling the issues that are a benefit to everyone.

I've been a member going on 37 years. I first joined to race amateur motocross, and kept up my membership when I quit racing. I respectfully disagree with my friends who seem to see no value in the organization. Ever since I joined, I've watched them take on goverments and municipalities that try to ban bikes from public roads and parks. I've seen them take on insurance companies that refuse coverage to motorcyclists. Years ago, they lobbied for rider education programs that we now take for granted.

And as far as loud pipes, I don't know why so many people think that the AMA condones their use. They don't, they never did - in my memory anyway - and they say as much.

Say what you will, but I give them a thumbsup.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

The AMA does not support any kind of mandatory training and/or tiered licensing.

The AMA, while opposing "excessive noise" does not specifically put a number on it. What's the point of saying it's bad if you can't specify what "bad" is?

The AMA seems so wishy-washy on their positions. It's like the position statements were written by lawyers and meant to confuse. (no offense to the lawyers here.)

The AMA does not support any kind of mandatory training and/or tiered licensing.

Hey Boney,

What is the benefit, and let's quantify it if at all possible, that you see in imposing a tiered licensing system?

Presumably, since you're mentioning it in context of the AMA, you're referring only to motorcycles right?

Are you a AAA member or do you refuse to support them for not taking a similar approach to automobiles?

Inquiring minds want to know! grin.gif

The AMA, while opposing "excessive noise" does not specifically put a number on it. What's the point of saying it's bad if you can't specify what "bad" is?

So what dB # do you want to be the law of the land? Remember it cannot conflict with the federal standard (which uses a very complex test), must be user friendly enough in the field for the LEO's charged with enforcing it, must also be repeatable, done in a manner that does not endanger the rider, or endanger the LEO.... or for that mater damage the bike.

I think a behavioral based standard is far better....for example, if you sit at a stoplight revving your motor endlessly for no reason....a number of places (Daytona Beach for example) use this type of standard...easy to verify and targets those who create the problem....

They are the main lobby we have and that is a good enough reason to be a member.

Good or bad, it's the only lobby we have. So I support it.

I agree, it’s like voting if you don’t vote then you haven’t got a voice.

Our riding rights are slowly being taken away by our government, and I like the fact that there is someone out there fighting them. If you don’t think the AMA is doing a good enough job then start your own grass roots movement and I will be happy to join your organization. Until then I would join some sort of organization that helps us motorcyclists, maintain the right to ride.

Sitting there bashing an organization on a board does nothing for our riding rights. Everyone that is not a member of the AMA ,please let me know what organization you’re a member of?

I'm a member of the Leikam Retirement Trust. Perhaps you've heard of us.

We are strongly in favor of riding so I'm happy to hear that you are interested in joining. This is a very good time to do so! Basic Memberships are offered at $150k/year, but you're in luck. We're just wrapping up our Summer Membership Drive so if you join this week, we'll give you a 33% discount and throw in a nice tote bag and insider newsletter subscription for free (a $10,000 value).

Message me with your contact information and I'll send you an application.

I'm a member of the Leikam Retirement Trust. Perhaps you've heard of us.

We are strongly in favor of riding so I'm happy to hear that you are interested in joining. This is a very good time to do so! Basic Memberships are offered at $150k/year, but you're in luck. We're just wrapping up our Summer Membership Drive so if you join this week, we'll give you a 33% discount and throw in a nice tote bag and insider newsletter subscription for free (a $10,000 value).

Message me with your contact information and I'll send you an application.

Sir, I must object to this post.

As the founding member of the Bud's Motorcycle Fund Foundation, I find your solicitation of members here to be detrimental to the health of my organization.

To recap, no $100K donation required for membership. Yearly contribution of a new BMW (of my choosing) will result on you being included on our "Wall of Fame" and invited to the annual banquet.

Further more, you may also choose the name for the new bike, which will be tastefully applied to the tank with an acknowledgment of your contribution.

PM me for details.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I am also a member of the Comedian association, and Bud and Michael are nominated for board members. This entitles you guys to automatically hijack any thread on this or any other board when you have nothing to really say. thumbsup.gif

Ouch.

...This entitles you guys to automatically hijack any thread on this or any other board when you have nothing to really say. thumbsup.gif

What kind of response did you really expect when you said...

If you don’t think the AMA is doing a good enough job then start your own grass roots movement and I will be happy to join your organization... Sitting there bashing an organization on a board does nothing for our riding rights. Everyone that is not a member of the AMA ,please let me know what organization you’re a member of?

Not trying to pick a fight, but is the AMA offering one of those $50 for everyone you signup things? I must have missed the letter they sent me. thumbsup.gif

There was nothing sarcastic about my comment above. I would love to see someone start an organization. Do you think this is a impossible thing to do? I was also serious about what other Motorcycle organization that are our there that I might not be aware of. No, not making any money, I wish. Although it does not seem that I would make a lot on this board anyway, does it? I guess I am a little serious about our rights. –Sorry (sarcastic)

I think that you'll find that we are all very serious about our rights. Those riders that aren't most likely would not be on a forum such as this one.

As I see it, the main problem that you'd face if you were to start your own organization comes right down to what has to be done to enroll as many members as possible, to make your organization a "respectable" voice, while simultaneously not being seen as "selling out" on the issues that matter most to each one of your members. This is a huge order to fill.

Sounds like the AMA ain't doing too bad a job, if you ask me. That's how I justify being a member.

But, I do love me some sarcasm and heck, the AMA is just as good a mule as anyone else.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Hey Boney,

What is the benefit, and let's quantify it if at all possible, that you see in imposing a tiered licensing system?

Less dead teenagers and middle life crisis-ers.

Presumably, since you're mentioning it in context of the AMA, you're referring only to motorcycles right?

Are you a AAA member or do you refuse to support them for not taking a similar approach to automobiles?

Inquiring minds want to know! grin.gif

Yes, I am a member of AAA. In exchange for my membership fee, they give me free maps, books, lockout service, a couple gallons of gas and 100 miles of free towing when I request it. I can walk into the local office and handle my DMV paperwork- that alone is worth the price of admission. Heck, they have offices all over the United States into which I am free to drop and request any of the above services. If I can't make it to their office, I can call them. I can also request any/all of that on the internet. Not quite the same type of organization as the AMA.

But, I do love me some sarcasm and heck, the AMA is just as good a mule as anyone else.

Thats fine as long as you have some good points to make.

As I see it, the main problem that you'd face if you were to start your own organization comes right down to what has to be done to enroll as many members as possible, to make your organization a "respectable" voice, while simultaneously not being seen as "selling out" on the issues that matter most to each one of your members. This is a huge order to fill.

I agree thats why I think we are members. I think there should be some more organizations to choose from, it would be nice.

Thats fine as long as you have some good points to make.

Sometimes, the point is that it's funny. It's okay. It takes all kinds of people to make a world. thumbsup.gif

The AMA seems so wishy-washy on their positions. It's like the position statements were written by lawyers and meant to confuse. (no offense to the lawyers here.)

The AMA is chartered to represent ALL of motorcycling in the US, which is no easy feat considering how fragmented our hobby is. As such, their priorities and positions on contentious issues reflect some degree of compromise. Basically, they're forced by their own charter to take a "big tent" approach.

It's unlikely that any us will agree with everything the AMA does 100%, but we can recognize the ways in which they serve the overall good of motorcycling.

Yes, I am a member of AAA. In exchange for my membership fee, they give me free maps, books, lockout service, a couple gallons of gas and 100 miles of free towing when I request it. I can walk into the local office and handle my DMV paperwork- that alone is worth the price of admission. Heck, they have offices all over the United States into which I am free to drop and request any of the above services. If I can't make it to their office, I can call them. I can also request any/all of that on the internet. Not quite the same type of organization as the AMA.

So you are comparing an Automobile club to a motorcycle club? You can't be serious.

What do you think the Auto/Moto ratio is? How much money do you think the AAA makes compared to AMA?

I am also a member of the AAA. -Great club although they really don't fight for any rights do they? I mean a right to get a cheap Motel isn't what I was thinking. -LOL yeah this making jokes every post is contagious.

I find the posts complaining that the AMA doesn't support helmet laws, doesn't support tiered licensing, isn't specific enough about noise limits, etc. to be interesting. What are we looking for... an organization that will be efficient in increasing the number of regulations/restrictions on motorcyclists?

russell_bynum
I find the posts complaining that the AMA doesn't support helmet laws, doesn't support tiered licensing, isn't specific enough about noise limits, etc. to be interesting. What are we looking for... an organization that will be efficient in increasing the number of regulations/restrictions on motorcyclists?

grin.gif

It's not that the AMA "doesn't SUPPORT helmet laws" -- the AMA OPPOSES helmet laws. There's a big difference. The AMA (and its membership) says helmet use is a "lifestyle choice." Like seat belts? I don't want to be a member of such an organization, thanks. I'd join the AMA if they stopped OPPOSING helmet laws.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

So you are comparing an Automobile club to a motorcycle club? You can't be serious.

I was simply answering rmurwin's question.

It's unlikely that any us will agree with everything the AMA does 100%, but we can recognize the ways in which they serve the overall good of motorcycling.

[Merging several responses together...]

Actually, I have a difficult time recognizing any such thing. When you get right down to it, the only major incursion into these so-called rights have been closed off roads. Those can be almost entirely tied to noise. The AMA's mealy-mouthed position regarding motorcycle noise is well documented and inexcusable, and it leaves them fighting access rights that are a direct result.

By attempting to be a big-tent organization, by trying to accommodate the needs of off-road riders along with road riders, by putting helmets and noise in battles against access, they come off as unfocused, ineffectual, and quite possibly more harm than good.

In contrast to Stephen's position, I don't feel that I gain a voice by joining an organization. Instead, I lose my voice at the expense of the voices of others. I don't particularly want to lend my tones to the convoluted, contradictory positions. I don't see any reason to blindly support them. What's more, because I can't see any reason to support them non-blindly, I don't have any intention of becoming a member.

Is it going to help anything for me to write about what I see as the failings on this discussion board? Well, if there are people who agree with me, there certainly may be a benefit. In actuality, probably not much of one. Does that mean I should either ignore all of this or go join another organization? Of course not, and such a position is ridiculous.

Archived