IGNORED

Unrally Update ...

Spike

Some thoughts and questions as Im getting into the recon stage which starts this Saturday.

Dates: Im thinking June 7 - 9. This gives those coming from longer distances three days to come and three days to go home with only taking 1 week of vacation.

Location: Nothing firm on this yet. I will be scouting out Bridgeport WV this weekend which is in the North Central part of the state. Ive been through there on the way out to Gunny and it has good access vi I-79 and also has tons of servies, hotels, etc. It also is a great access for the best parts of RT 50 and is a great starting point for getting into the Allegheny Mountains. Though I dont know if I would call it quaint as Gunny was.

Some questions to pick yer brain with:

• Are campgrounds a necessity ? (There arent too many places in WV where campgrounds are closely co-located with enough hotels to support 170+ people)
  • If we were to do a campground / hotel combination how close must the two be ? Is 15 miles to far ? 20 ?
  • Do those dates conflict with any other major gatherings that we should be cognizant of ?
  • Do you have any other outstanding thoughts or questions ?

-- Spike

I like the timing.

I don't think people would use the camping unless it was within 3-5 miles of the hotels.

I know people would prefer the camping option, but I'm guessing that we could exist without it, AS LONG AS the hotels weren't all that expensive. Otherwise we'd lose some people.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I don't think people would use the camping unless it was within 3-5 miles of the hotels.

They would if the campground was unrally headquarters, as in Cody and Gunnison (and kind of in Eureka Springs).

If a hotel is designated HQ, I think it needs to have a good outdoor gathering place for crowds - just like the last three Un's.

They would if the campground was unrally headquarters, as in Cody and Gunnison (and kind of in Eureka Springs).

If a hotel is designated HQ, I think it needs to have a good outdoor gathering place for crowds - just like the last three Un's.

Thats what I was thinking of Mitch. There are some great campgrounds in WV, the issue is finding hotel rooms close by. I was wondering for those that choose not to camp at HQ, how far would they be willing to ride for a room ?

There are obvious places to use, like Canaan Valley, but that is already used by alot of other gatherings and frankly the resort would probably me more $$ than some want.

-- John

Then my point is the same--don't have the HQ further than 3-5 miles from the hotels. I think that would really change the experience.

Gotya. I wasnt at Cody, but from my experience at Gunny I would think it would be difficult to have the HQ at a hotel. To me the charm of Gunny was sitting around at the campsite and shooting the poop while endulging in some spirits and cigars. I would think that would be difficult to pull off at a hotel with 100+ people.

-- John

The indulging also becomes a problem if people have to ride several miles back to their hotel. Gunnison and Cody had HQ at campgrounds that were very close to most of the motels. In Eureka Springs, many people had to ride about 5-8 miles down a very dark, deer infested road to get back to the motels. Closer is definitely better, and safer.

One suggestion, if I may...

In my mind, the UN is generally too short! 7th, 8th and 9th means folks arrive on Wednesday and make their way out on Friday? I'd lobby for another day.

At Cody, which was scheduled for July 12, 13 & 14, several folks - me included, of course - were under the impression that things were going THRU Wednesday, the 14th. So plans for departure were for THursday, the 15th. However many folks had headed out by then.

I'm not implying that there need be organized stuff for the entire time, just that the OPTION to grow the whole thing by one day be considered.

Actually Denny it was my intention that it be the full three days with people arriving on Monday and departing on Friday. Maybe a kick off breakfast or something on Tuesday and the organized dinner on Thursday evening would send that signal.

-- John

Actually Denny it was my intention that it be the full three days with people arriving on Monday and departing on Friday. Maybe a kick off breakfast or something on Tuesday and the organized dinner on Thursday evening would send that signal.

-- John

Oh, dayum... that's got my vote! thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Maybe a kick off breakfast or something on Tuesday and the organized dinner on Thursday evening...

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

-- John

Works for me!

--patti

-- John

Just a suggestion, folks arrive throughout the day on Monday, kick things off with the un-official opening on Monday night with pizza and ice cream (just like at Cody), breakfast (donuts, danish, coffee, juice, etc.) Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, ride all day Tuesday and Wednesday, dinner Tuesday and/or Wednesday night, breakfast Thursday, and dinner Thursday night "on your own" for those who choose to stay until Friday morning. Tuesday or Wednesday night may be the best night to have an un-official group dinner for everyone, since they are in the middle of the week, and everyone should have arrived and should be staying those two nights. Not everyone may be able to get there by Monday or stay Thursday night, especially those from the west coast and those who want to tour a little more around the east while they are there.

At Cody, most people arrived by Monday night, rode all day Tuesday, but it all ended after breakfast on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure this was a day less than Un 1 and 2. Two full days is good, but it may be nice to have that third day built in for those who want to stay.

• 2 weeks later...
Some thoughts and questions as Im getting into the recon stage which starts this Saturday.

Dates: Im thinking June 7 - 9. This gives those coming from longer distances three days to come and three days to go home with only taking 1 week of vacation.

Not that you need to plan around me, because you don't, but I have a speaking engagement in Chicago June 12-14. Are you still tentatively on the 7-9 dates?

Yes. As a matter of fact they are confirmed open with the KOA in question. I'm actually in the middle of a sanity check post to let you guys know where Im at and the tentative location right now. I should be finished in a few minutes...

-- John

Archived