IGNORED

Very considerate cagers in Oregon

Red

Just returned from a camping trip which included Oregon Highways 138 (Umpqua River) and Oregon 42 (Roseburg to Coos Bay).

No doubt about it, I ride fast. I try to cruise at 75 to 85 in the 55 mph. My rule for cornering is N minus 5 where N is the recommended cornering speed and I have not done the corner previously. That is tempered by highways that have purposefully under posted the speed as in the case of OR Hwy 42 where a more realistic rule is 2N.

Anyway, on both highways this week, I experienced cagers who volunarily moved over into the turn outs into 'wide areas'on the highway to allow me to enjoy my corners when they needn't have according to OR law. I belive the law in OR requires drivers to pull out to allow passing when there are 3 or more vehicles behind them. The folks who pulled over for me, pulled over for just me.

While I am aggressive on the corners, I do respect the rule of 'ride your own ride'. So, I don't press cagers by riding up on their bumpers when I'm riding my ride. I'm thinking these folks pulled over for one of two reasons. One, they understand the tendency of motorcyclists to enjoy roads at higher speeds than cagers and are willing to acquiesce to our needs or two, they have been scared to death by previous encounters with motorcyclists on curvey roads and are compelled to pull out to avoid what they believe are maniacs on the road.

Any observations or speculations?

Francois_Dumas
they have been scared to death by previous encounters with motorcyclists on curvey roads and are compelled to pull out to avoid what they believe are maniacs on the road.

Perhaps they are right ??? lmao.gif

I live in Northern California, and this has often been my experience as well. I keep a safe distance as I approach cars on rural highways. Many times people have pulled into a turn-out or simply moved over to allow me to pass. Would that all motorists were so considerate. Let's continue as riders to encourage this by not crowding them, and by acknowledging their courtesy as we pass.

I seem to get the opposite effect in Missouri. I lay back for a few miles and wit for a good clear opportinity. When I finally decide ot pass, I don't waste my time in case a car appears the other way. I put it in 3rd roll up ot 75-80mph make the pass using signals and go on my way.

Saturday, I went to pass someone who had been driving 55-60 for the last 5 or 6 miles. I had been going about 65-70 but could see that I was slowly gaining on them. When I reached them, I stayed 200+ feet back. I wasn't in a hurry so I went their pace. Where there was good opportunity after they had slowed down for a car that was on the shoulder of the road I rolled on hard in 3rd gear. At first I thoguht... my bike was down on power or something, I was passing them ,but not as quickly as I expected. I looked down and I was doing 80mph ... the A** hole had floored it.. I grabbed 4th and contined to 95mph... made the pass cleanly with plenty of room and flipped them the bird. I was pissed. My suspension was in "Comfort mode" and at one point i hit a sizeable dip in the road and with hte weight of the passenger the front wheel lifted a few inches off the pavement at 80mph... not a big deal.. but I would normally have been rolling off the throttle if he had continued to drive at 55-60mph.

They followed me at least 70mph.. for a mile but after 2 or 3 sweepers at 70mph... they quickly disapeared. This happens often in Missouri. I don't know why. They take getting passed personally. As though I'm telling them they are slow. They weren't going slowly... I just wanted to ride 5-10 over the speed limit to enjoy the winding road.

Thank you BMW for the extra 15HP you gave the RT... it makes passing situation like this much easier compared to my R1150R.

I just did just did 42 and 138 yesterday on the way back from Gold Beach to Bend. Same experience although I followed an M5 most of the way on 42 who was going fast enough to keep the ride interesting. I also find Oregon drivers becoming more accomodating to motorcycles, especially on the back roads.

I'm thinking these folks pulled over for one of two reasons. One, they understand the tendency of motorcyclists to enjoy roads at higher speeds than cagers and are willing to acquiesce to our needs or two, they have been scared to death by previous encounters with motorcyclists on curvey roads and are compelled to pull out to avoid what they believe are maniacs on the road.

My wife is originally from Coquille, and at one time the log trucks would run you over on 42 if you didn't get out of the way. They had no problem riding your bumper either! Don't think there is much of a logging industry left in that area but that might explain some of the willingness of the drivers to get out of the way.

More than likely they saw you as a rabbit that could flush out any LEOs up the road. Then again maybe they were just being considerate. lmao.gif

Pat

My kids and I frequently ride the Cascade passes between Bend and the Oregon coast. Oregon drivers are thoughtful, watching their mirrors and moving near the shoulder when we pass.

Which Oregon did you visit? Having ridden all over Oregon and the rest of the Western U.S. the last six years, I find Oregon drivers, generally, the worst when it comes to pulling over to let faster vehicles pass. Whenever I go to California, even Northern, CA, I find the difference between the drivers in the two states to be remarkable. Everyone I've ridden with in both states experiences the same thing. California is number one for considerate drivers, except on the crowded freeways of the metro areas, of course. You just lucked out.

Which Oregon did you visit? Having ridden all over Oregon and the rest of the Western U.S. the last six years, I find Oregon drivers, generally, the worst when it comes to pulling over to let faster vehicles pass. Whenever I go to California, even Northern, CA, I find the difference between the drivers in the two states to be remarkable. Everyone I've ridden with in both states experiences the same thing. California is number one for considerate drivers, except on the crowded freeways of the metro areas, of course. You just lucked out.

Gee, you must have some kind of status in CA or you did most of your riding in Portland and Eugene.

I find just the opposite experience. Here in Oregon the drivers generally always pull out of the way. When I cross the border into CA., they won't pull over even if they're holding up 30 cars driving 15 under the limit bncry.gif

Gee, you must have some kind of status in CA or you did most of your riding in Portland and Eugene.

I find just the opposite experience. Here in Oregon the drivers generally always pull out of the way. When I cross the border into CA., they won't pull over even if they're holding up 30 cars driving 15 under the limit bncry.gif

LOL, 15 under the limit in California? 15 over will get you passed all day long 15 under might get you shot...

I do find CA driver (out of the urban areas) to be willing to let me pass most of the time and I try to return the favor when I am the slow one.....

As for Oregon I think they are just hoping you will get the ticket, that place is the perfect storm of absurdly low speed limits and many LEO's out looking to write tickets....

We have some very considerate cagers here in Fl, too.

Why, just this morning, the clod... er, driver, in the Toyota actually signaled before he cut me off. tongue.gif

You're lucky you live in North Florida.. Try Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Carflipping capitals of the USA. Never in my life have I seen so many morons flip vehicles so well as down here. I guess they want to be stuntdrivers for the movie industry lmao.gif. Even LEO's are clueless when it comes to using turnsignals, and weaving in and out of traffic lanes eek.gif

Archived