IGNORED

Odd repeating vibration with 2nd gear, '02 R1150RT.

chrisz

Hi,

I've completed about 800km stint today with my wife as pillion on my RT. During the last 300km I noticed a strange vibration in 2nd gear. It resembles the cuts made on rural roads when one comes up to a stop sign (warning cuts in the road). The vibes can be felt in the seat and handlebars and come on and off continuously. The bike idles fine, it runs up and down the gears fine, power is OK (could always be more). But when I'm in 2nd the on/off pulsation is there. Since I noticed this vibe I've been watching for other odd vibes or sounds and think that maybe when in the other gears the engine seems 'rougher' in the lower RPMs (3.5K to 4K). Although when I ride in the 4.5 to 5K RPM (my cruising range), all seems fine. No leaks noticed.

Any thoughts?

PS. bike has about 100K km. (all fluids changed last fall before putting the bike away for the winter)

Hi,

I've completed about 800km stint today with my wife as pillion on my RT. During the last 300km I noticed a strange vibration in 2nd gear. It resembles the cuts made on rural roads when one comes up to a stop sign (warning cuts in the road). The vibes can be felt in the seat and handlebars and come on and off continuously. The bike idles fine, it runs up and down the gears fine, power is OK (could always be more). But when I'm in 2nd the on/off pulsation is there. Since I noticed this vibe I've been watching for other odd vibes or sounds and think that maybe when in the other gears the engine seems 'rougher' in the lower RPMs (3.5K to 4K). Although when I ride in the 4.5 to 5K RPM (my cruising range), all seems fine. No leaks noticed.

Any thoughts?

PS. bike has about 100K km. (all fluids changed last fall before putting the bike away for the winter)

chrisz, I agree with Stan.. If it sounds like “(warning cuts in the road)” that sounds wheel speed related then possibly a tire wear or tire cupping issue.. Any cupping on your tires?.

Does the noise/vibration get worse if you gently swerve the bike side to side or as rounding a gentle curve or even a lane change? If so suspect tire cupping..

You might also want to place the bike on the center stand then try to rock the wheels, first by holding at 12 o’clock & 6 o’clock then by holding at 3’oclock & 9 o’clock.. Any excess play or looseness felt is cause for concern as far as bearings go..

Does it make the noise/vibration with JUST you on the bike?

Twisty

Tires are new this spring. If tires are suspect, why only in 2nd gear is the odd vibration?

Chrisz, that is a good question.. Could be as simple as the engine vibration in second gear is coupling to a tire related frequency (gives you both a engine coupled buzz & tire related howl)..

Then again it could be a transmission problem starting to show up.. If ONLY in second gear then that is a possibility unless you didn’t hit the same loaded RPM in other gears..

With the limited info we have here (not being able to ride the bike) it is difficult to tell what you have.. In most instances of similar vibration problems it is the tires..

Maybe have your local dealer service tec ride the bike to get a hands on feel for what the problem is.. Where are you located maybe someone from this board can take a ride on it..

Twisty

I'm Cambridge Ontario (Canada). I'll run my hands over the tires to see if I feel anything odd and will check for any play in the wheels. As far as 2nd gear loading, I basically kept in at a steady 4500 RPM and feel the on/off vibrations. Its odd, its exactly like riding over the warning cuts. It vibrates for about 2 seconds then stops for about one second, and continues on/off. When first detected I thought that it was odd to have warning cuts in the road in the city, only there were no cuts in the road. I'll take the bike out after lunch and see if the vibes are still there with me only riding it.

Chris: Could be just a loose bolt, etc.,like a muffler bolt allowing some contact at certain rpms or if bearing or gear related you can check your fluids and magnetic drain plugs from the transmission and final drive for metal particles.

Tipover Bob

Ok, I checked the following during my lunch break.

Front tire is showing some cupping, this was a surprise. Checked the front and rear wheel for play, non detected. Spun both wheels, no odd sounds, grinding, etc. Took the bike for a solo spin, still the vibes are there in 2nd gear, almost like an on/off pulsing. Don't really detect the pulsing at other gears, at the same RPMs or same speed. Also no odd vibrations when running the engine in Neutral through same RPMs.

Could your wheel be out of balance? Have you lost one of your balance weights. If the wheel is 'slightly' off-balance, it might only resonante at particular wheel speeds or lean angles.

Ed

Archived