IGNORED

Moto News - BMW R 1200 RTP rider, Rob Nye stuck in Edmonton

Bud

Final Drive according the thread on MOA site. I wonder if BMW will ever put this issue to rest. (He's riding an r1200RT-P).

Mike O

Aside from anything else you might say about the new Connie, it does have double rear arms which should provide a more reliable rear end assembly.

russell_bynum
Final Drive according the thread on MOA site. I wonder if BMW will ever put this issue to rest. (He's riding an r1200RT-P).

Mike O

BMW doesn't have a problem with final drive failures.

And besides...they fixed the problem with the new final drive design on the R1200's. Now there's no problems with final drive failures.

Ya... and the O-ring seals on the new rear ends are an improvement over crush washers and the olders rear ends you can actually service without disconnecting the suspension linkage.

That wasn't gear oil all over my rear wheel after my 600 miles service... I was just imagining things. O-rings are better than crush washers.

Mike O

BMW doesn't have a problem with final drive failures.

And besides...they fixed the problem with the new final drive design on the R1200's. Now there's no problems with final drive failures.

Yeah, I really did want to spend two days in Salt Lake City in July with my wife. The failed final drive on my R12RT had nothing to do with it. lmao.gif

One wonders if the F800 belt drive technology will ever creep to the big bikes. I know shaft drive ihas been with BMW since the beginning, but belts are lighter, reliable, cheap, and easy to service. Carrying around a few extra belts is easier than rebuilding a final drive on the side of the road. I doubt it will ever happen, but then again who ever thought HD would switch to it?

Compared to the BMW reaar end, the new COnnie pumpkin is HUGE! looks like a car rear end.

And the BMW rear is air cooled with that big hole in the center.

Master race comes thru again! wave.gif

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Here's the note from the IBR site.

Everything has to go perfectly to get to Homer and back in six days. You can tolerate little or nothing in the way of bad weather, road construction zones, traffic congestion, bike problems, and encounters with animals on the road. Under the best of conditions, you aren’t going to get much sleep. It will take a really tough rider with really good luck.

I had just finished writing the above paragraph at 2:30 p.m. Central Time when my cell phone rang. It was IBR veteran Paul Meredith, who is getting periodic updates on Rob Nye’s progress. Rob is in Edmonton, Alberta. That’s 1800 miles from Chesterfield, MO, and the bonus listings were handed out only 34 hours ago. Rob has been keeping a pace that is sufficient to make it to Homer and back.

Unfortunately, Rob’s chances of scoring the Homer, Alaska, bonus have just vaporized. His BMW R1200RT, the one with the all-new, never needs maintenance final drive, is puking rear end lubricant all over Public Highway 16. Dammit! It’s bad enough that Rob’s valiant effort has to end this way; what’s worse is that I am going to have to listen to that cackling witch of a rallymaster reminding me of our side bet on the percentage of BMWs that would finish without mechanical failures. She will laugh about it later, but it’s not funny right now. We truly feel sorry for Rob because we know he was giving it his all.

John Ranalletta

Compared to the BMW reaar end, the new COnnie pumpkin is HUGE! looks like a car rear end.
I'd rather have a small one that works rather than a big one...; oh, wait a minute, we're still talking about RDs.

Size doesn't matter...hmmmm, can't get out of this loop.

Okay, I'd rather have a big one that works rather than a small one that needs airing out and breaks.

Any how, I thought that's why there's a premium for BMWs.

From his post on ADVrider, it appears that Rob has decided not enough bonus points are available in the remaining time and has decided to return to St. Louis.

A great effort to overcome mechanical difficulties.

He will be back in 09.

I admire his ability to assess the chances of being a finisher vs the risks involved.

Archived