IGNORED

Oil Icon indicator goes on and I've got oil!

Bheckel169

Ever since I had my 6,000 mile maintenance on my 06 1200 RT, I've had my "need oil" icon appear frequently and staying on almost indefinitely until I shut the bike down and cool it off. I am now using synthetic oil since the last maintenance and the glass indicates the oil is relatively clean and takes up about 1/3 of the glass in the side stand position. Anyone else have problems with the oil sensor on the RT, synthetic oil readouts differing from regular oil or discovering how much oil should be showing in the sight glass? Or, is it time to go back to the dealer and have him check it out?

Bruce

the glass indicates the oil is relatively clean and takes up about 1/3 of the glass in the side stand position.

Sounds like you may be mis-reading your oil level. To properly check the level take the bike for a short ride (15+ minutes), park the bike for 15 minutes on the side stand and then put it on the center stand... check in another 5 minutes. Your target is for the oil to be somewhere between the half way and top point.

On my GS the oil low indicator comes up if I'm below the halfway point on the site glass.

1. Check your oil on the centerstand. Many folks do the "dance" which involves: shutting off the engine; allow the oil to drain by sitting 5 minutes on the sidestand; then 5 minutes on the centerstand, and the oil level should be at the halfway mark in the sight glass.

2. If your oil level is OK, have you had the software update? That plus a new float will cure the false BC oil alerts. It's a well known problem on '05 and early '06 RTs and is covered under warranty.

Tom

St0nkingByte
the glass indicates the oil is relatively clean and takes up about 1/3 of the glass

In my experience the computer prefers the oil to be at or near the top of the red circle in the sightglass. I have an '05 RT with no computer updates, I can see my oil status when moving, so YMMV.

last maintenance and the glass indicates the oil is relatively clean and takes up about 1/3 of the glass in the side stand position.

If the engine was off and sat for a few minutes.... you are wayyyyy low. The sight glass is supposed to be checked when your on the center stand and mentioned above.

I do find it strange that apparantly your biek was underfilled after the 6000 miles service. Something doesn't seem right.

I get the same isue. After I did an oil change at about 5-6K I got the <!> oil fault. But I topped off the oil and was fine until the Dealer did the 6K service (Bike had 8k on it)They did an oil change as well. They seemed to have under filled it also. I think the dealer is not properly following oil check/top off procedures as well as my selft. I just filled with what seemed to be the proper ammount but did not let it run long enough to get a proper reading on the sight glass.

Also the software upgrade has not been done on my bike as far as I know. smirk.gif

My 05 has the same issue, you'll get used to it. A software update kind of fixed it, but it's not reliable.

I'm curious as to the unreliability of the upgrade you are experiencing.

The combination new float and software flash completely fixed the problem on my early '06 RT. The low oil warning now comes on only when the level falls below the 1/4 mark in the sight glass - although there is no reading available when the bike is moving as per the system design.

Also, in order not to overfill the oil, my dealer normally adds only enough to bring the sight glass level to 1/2 - which can trip the oil sensor if the float/software upgrade hasn't been done. I suspect that was the case with the other posters who had the problem shortly after a dealer oil change. So unless they either overfill their oil or enjoy looking at the warning, they might want to check out the warranty fix.

Tom

Hallo Mr-Ed, i had a problem with my 12GS 4 months ago and the mechanic told me it was oil related. while the amound of oil he took out of the engine was about 2.5 liters, I NEVER got any oil level light indicator, while ur saying that u get the oil light if you are below halfway. Iam wondering why my light didnt come up since they claim that the damage on my bike was due to low oil level... confused.gif

the glass indicates the oil is relatively clean and takes up about 1/3 of the glass in the side stand position.

Sounds like you may be mis-reading your oil level. To properly check the level take the bike for a short ride (15+ minutes), park the bike for 15 minutes on the side stand and then put it on the center stand... check in another 5 minutes. Your target is for the oil to be somewhere between the half way and top point.

On my GS the oil low indicator comes up if I'm below the halfway point on the site glass.

Hallo Mr-Ed, i had a problem with my 12GS 4 months ago and the mechanic told me it was oil related. while the amound of oil he took out of the engine was about 2.5 liters, I NEVER got any oil level light indicator, while ur saying that u get the oil light if you are below halfway. Iam wondering why my light didnt come up since they claim that the damage on my bike was due to low oil level... confused.gif

Assuming that your bike has the oil level function I'd say that it sounds as if the oil level sensor is not working. It's my understanding that you would need to be down at least a quart for engine damage to occur... this would be well below a level that would give you a reading through the site glass as well.

Just to re-state... my low oil warning comes on just below the half way mark as indicated on the site glass. I was actually surprised that it came on that soon.

takes up about 1/3 of the glass in the side stand position
Then your oil level sensor/icon is working correctly. It's telling you that you need to add oil. And you do.

On my '05 RT, whenever the oil level in the sight glass falls much below 2/3 and I do a hard accel or decel, I get the oil icon. As soon as I ease off and cruise the icon goes away. It has done this since new.

Archived