IGNORED

RT gas Mileage?

dave_jo

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Do you try to 'lug' the bike in top gear? If so this can have a bad effect on fuel consumtion.

I'm sure that that is my problem then. I am a chronic lugger. dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Did the mountains include a change (0verall, I know mountains go up) in elevation? A couple thousand feet can really make a difference in fuel mileage. Air takes HP to push it around, the thinner (less dense) air up in the mountains takes less. Other factors are the speed at which you are riding. If you were going at a lesser average speed your fuel consumption would decrease. It doesn't take much, my Blackbird, one of the most streamlined motorcycles ever made, will return a nearly 3 mpg difference between running over the same roads at 80-85 vs 65-70.

I have a 96 R1100 RT..and while I dont' check milage at every fill-up, it has always been in the mid 40's when I did. Almost always ride with full size system cases and a topcase...shield up. ymmv smile.gif

I own a 06 R1200RT. We just came off a 7,470 mile trip with two up, panniers, and big trunk. On one leg with cruise control in 4th or 5th I got 60mpg. But coming out of the mountains on the plains of east CO (Pueblo), KS, and OK, mpg dropped off to 48. Of course we jumped on to I35, the Cimarron Turnpike, and I44 into Joplin, MO for the 48 mpg. 75 mph. No tickets on trip. I varied the windscreen a lot.

Archived