IGNORED

The roads outside Amsterdam.......

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Today Nina and I rode to Amsterdam, basically for a quick visit to our daughter Vivian's place (we'd forgotten to return her key to her the day before). And we also wanted to get on the bike again, now that the weather was still good!

So nothing fancy, just a simple ride to Amsterdam over the old 'main road' instead of the highway. Perhaps you'll enjoy some of Nina's pictures, showing you the roads we ride.....

Approaching the Amsterdam city limits...... idyllic compared to most other major European cities...

188095772-L.jpg

More cows than people in this area....

188095789-L.jpg

People run red lights here too...... two of them even !

Ahead is the road straight into the city center (via the IJtunnel). We will go left onto the Ring Road (A10) towards the Zeeburger Tunnel.

188095806-L.jpg

Amsterdam's ring road 'east'..... lots of 'sound protection' along it, obscuring the views on the city outskirts.

188095824-L.jpg

Here we are ready to submerge... the Zeeburger Tunnel will take us underneath Amsterdam's port and the connection to the IJsselmeer (you can see the water in the background, on the left!)

188095852-L.jpg

After the tunnel we exit right towards the area where Vivian lives now. This is as much of a 'city skyline' as you'll see... it's all we have !

188095866-L.jpg

Waiting for the red light.. behind a nice Jag. Bit messy here, too many lamp posts and tramway stuff....

188095890-L.jpg

We cross one of the old bridges (main traffic now uses the tunnel). House boats can be found EVERYWHERE in and around town....

188095915-L.jpg

Close to the 'Indian Neighborhood' where Vivian lives (all street names and squares have names related to Indonesia and other parts of Asia that were Dutch colonies at some time).

188095947-L.jpg

One of the much hated parking meters......

188095966-L.jpg

The RT in front of Vivian and Menno's ground floor apartment.

188096011-L.jpg

On our way to the cheap petrol station.. looking back we can see the Bayliner Dealer !!

188096033-L.jpg

Our 'skyline' once again....

188096045-L.jpg

We continue south on the ring road, passing underneath the trains parking area... Some double decker commuter trains up there.

188096066-L.jpg

Traffic is slight more dense here, but still VERY light on this sunny Sunday afternoon!

188096093-L.jpg

After filling the tank we pass the Ajax Soccer Stadion (one of the most famous in Europe..... important if you are into soccer, that is. I am not).

188096114-L.jpg

I made an appointment with a Landrover dealer to test drive a Defender in a week or so. We thought we'd head out to the business district to see where the dealer is....

188096137-L.jpg

Just like any business district really... boring !

188096159-L.jpg

Heading home.. just leaving the city here, first few miles still on a dual carriage road....... not for long ...

188096189-L.jpg

Back into the Noord-Holland province landscape.. green pastures, dikes and cows....

188096209-L.jpg

Near our home town. We decided to take the old dike for the last few miles, and got 'stuck' behind a few fellow riders. Watch the guy on roller blades !!!

188096252-L.jpg

We are 'biker-friendly' in this country.... 'biker' meaning the people on bicycles mostly !!!

188096274-L.jpg

Hoorn, my birth place, comes into view......

THIS is the road where I learned to race my little 50 cc motorbike ! (Of course there was ample police back then, no 'radar' and lots less traffic !)

188096303-L.jpg

A skyline I much prefer over that Amsterdam one .... ;-)

188096332-L.jpg

..... minus this monstrosity, of course.

This is the town's new theater, now known as 'Cherobyl' by us locals.

Not only does it look like Chernobyl, it also collapsed all by itself one night, while still under construction!!!!

188096356-L.jpg

Hope the weather stays like this for a while longer.. although we were getting chilly a bit already in our summer mesh jackets !!!

Francois:

Great photos, as always! Enjoy your trip to the States. Carrie (nicewife) & I will be crossing the Pond next summer; we can't wait!

Archived