IGNORED

Is ABS retrofitable???

jaytee

I tried to ask this quesiton earlier but never saw my post so either this is a really dumb question or I am just realyl dumb and cant reliably post! :O

In any case, I had someone at a dealer say that they were pretty sure they could order al lthe ABS parts and retrofit it if I really wanted it on a non-ABS R1200ST here in CA.

I tend to think that was BS, but what do I know?

Anyone?

JT

confused.gif

Firefight911

Yes, it can be done but one would really need to ask why?

It will be obscenely expense to purchase all the parts and then have them installed, etc.

Even doing it yourself would be a hair pulling experience.

You would need to check on some form of firmware update to recognize the ABS module being present. Check with your dealer on this if you are just dead set on having it.

IMO you would be much better off with some good braking drills practiced.

And no, my ST is not for sale. tongue.giflmao.gif Sorry for not replying to your email sooner!!!

I'll keep checking up here for one to pop up.

If one shows up up here, fly up, spend the night and ride it back!! Spare bedroom ready. thumbsup.gif

If you find one long distance, you could always have it shipped. Only about $500.

Thanks for the reply - and I figured as much...

The reason I ask is this bike here:

Blue R1200ST in Simi

20200000495000073_1.jpg

But I was really wanting the ABS with this bike. Otherwise I would have already bought it since its only 80 miles away from me frown.gif

JT

PS: If I find a good one over there I just might take you up on your offer!!!

stubblejumper

I find it ironic that I would have preferred a bike without ABS,and had to take ABS and you want ABS so badly as to consider having it added,and can't find one.Then again,if the only ST available was silver/blue,I would have had it painted all silver. grin.gif

Damn you for rubbing in your new '07 ST TWICE - count it, TWICE in 24hours!!! eek.gif

How about I buy you an '05 without ABS and we swap? grin.gif

JT

stubblejumper

How about I buy you an '05 without ABS and we swap?

Not likely. grin.gif

But to tell you the truth,I am very shocked that there aren't any STs in the USA when we can get them in Canada.It is almost always the other way around.Any aftermarket products that I buy,will also be imported,mostly from the USA as well.

The only exception that I can remember was my 1985 gsxr750 that was not available in the USA because it wouldn't pass emissions.

Its possible there are some still here (I heard of one in Chicago, but have been unable to confirm it) but they are not showing up on the dealer's bike locator software. I wrote BMWNA and they wrote back saying that '07 ST's could be ordered, but six dealers I talked to here in SoCal said that is no longer true. Now either they arent aware that there are some still left or they really really dont want to hassle it this late in a model year - I dont know.

In any case, I am diligently looking for a low mileage abs bike in blue or silver in the western half of the US. Im sure I will eventually find one.

JT

Jim VonBaden
Here's one for sale at BMW of Fort Worth.

http://www.bmwfortworth.com/new_vehicle_...&pov=565898

When I saw it yesterday, I could have sworn it had saddlebags, but I wasn't looking that closely.

Morton's in VA has a low mileage blue ST like above with ABS on the floor for $12,000.

Jeff Massey, the owner, says he can still order an ST new until the new model year.

Jim cool.gif

Gina's BMW in Iowa City, IA has a new ST on their floor and might have more in their warehouse. They are 30 minute sfrom the Cedar Rapids airport. Buy it, ride back roads (highway 2 or 136) to Denver or Colorado Springs, get the 600 mile service done and continue to CA.

stubblejumper

Gina's BMW in Iowa City, IA has a new ST on their floor and might have more in their warehouse.

In Canada it was a simple thing for my dealer to get a bike from another dealer,as my ST is coming almost all the way across Canada.Is there something different in how dealers work in the USA?

Gina's BMW in Iowa City, IA has a new ST on their floor and might have more in their warehouse. They are 30 minute sfrom the Cedar Rapids airport. Buy it, ride back roads (highway 2 or 136) to Denver or Colorado Springs, get the 600 mile service done and continue to CA.

Really???

I checked *every* bmw dealer that had online inventory yesterday. Funny enough, I went to Gina's website and... they *don't* have online inventory!

I will certainly give them a call on Tuesday since they are "out riding" on Sunday and Monday.

What color was it? Did you remember if it had ABS, ESC, etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JT

Jaytee- I suggest you be patient. A bike that fulfills your needs will show up.

I just purchased my R12ST (with ABS) from Max BMW in NH, more than 1000 miles from my home. I did not see the bike prior to delivery. The transaction was flawless. Max has an outstanding reputation; I expect other dealers would also do very well.

Many dealers do not post their full inventory of used bikes online. You may find one by calling selected dealers.

Interesting;ly, delivery of my motorcycles was done by a company that delivers only motorcycles---and pianos. When you think about it, there are similarities. Large, heavy products that are very delicate. The delivery was handled very professionally through Max.

They aren't very good at updating their website wiht new models. Although the last weekend I was there, they sold 3 RT's... so they have good turnover.

The ST on the floor might have even been an '06. I think it's was silver? or maybe blue? They had the smaller 25L topcase mounted on it. I don't remember how it was spec'd. The sales guy's name is Woody.

I know I sat on one about 4-5 weeks ago... but come to think of it... I can't be 100% sure about the last time I was there 2 weeks ago.

I'd call around to check some inventories if you really want this bike.

The ST on the floor might have even been an '06. I think it's was silver? or maybe blue? They had the smaller 25L topcase mounted on it...

It sounds like a used one? Or maybe a dealer demo? The new ones (2007) were only special order and only in all silver or all black. Who knows, but I'll try contacting them on tuesday.

JT

Jaytee- I suggest you be patient. A bike that fulfills your needs will show up.

I think so too. My first choice is an all-black 2007, but I'll be pretty happy with a low mileage 2005 in something other than red. Out of couriosity, was yours a new or used bike?

There is a bike in North Carolina that I have seen that looks really good if the info I have on it is correct. That one might be worth having shipped, especially if someone from the list could run by and check it out...

JT

Archived