IGNORED

Verholen setbacks

stubblejumper

stubblejumper

I was just searching the web for accessories for my new r1200st when I saw the Verholen bar setbacks advertised.Does anyone have them on an ST?I am curious since the fork tubes appear to be moved up in the triple clamp to install them.Does this not effect the bikes geometry,or is there something about the suspension on the ST that I don't understand?

I just put them on my ST and for me they're great. I'm about 5'-6" and needed a little help. Because of the BMW suspension, it really doesn't chage how the bike handles, or the geometry. I suppose it changes slightly, but it wasn't noticable to me. Keep in mind you need a longer upper front brake hose which should come with the kit, but because of the ABS on my ST it was about $150 to install. 2 hour job to install new hose and bleed the system. I put the risers on myself and it was very easy to do.

Jim VonBaden

The fork tubes are not part of the geometry like on a conventional bike. They wont significantly affect the angle, and will not affect the ride for the 1" you raise them.

Some have done the deed without the kit and have had good luck with it. Others swear, without any kind of evidence, that they will fail without the kit.

Either way, you need a longer brake line from an RT to make it work.

Jim cool.gif

stubblejumper

Thanks guys,as I posted,I know very little about the actual mechanics of the suspension on the ST.All of the bikes that I have owned have had conventional forks,and I know that on those bikes,raising the fork tubes in the clamps would have changed the geometry.In fact I haven't even picked up my bike as of yet,so I have no idea how the bike will feel after a few hours of riding.However,it is a four hour ride home from my dealer(and that is the nearest dealer by the way),so by the time I get home,I will have a good idea if the bars and seat are acceptable for me,or if I am going to be purchasing the set backs and/or a new seat.At this point I am learning as much as I can about the bike,and checking out the availability of any accessories that I may be interested in purchasing.Again,thanks for the information,you have been very helpful.

I have them on mine and they have made the bike MUCH more comfortable for my body type. Now my back outlasts the seat ... which is the next thing to be dealt with. :-)

stubblejumper

I have them on mine and they have made the bike MUCH more comfortable for my body type.

Just out of curiosity,how tall are you?I am 6'.

Archived